A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2009 Holiday Handmade Crusade :: (INACTIVE - Search for the 2010 thread)  (Read 81126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amarchan
« Reply #730 on: August 15, 2009 11:23:20 AM »

Hi! This is my first submission, so I hope it counts! These aren't really Christmas gifts, but Christmas gift bags. I wanted to use all reuseable gift bags this year. I found some Christmas fabric at a thrift shop. It is washed up and all cut out for gift bags. I am ironing them up today.

I plan on several of them being bags with handles like the Mors bags, so they can be used as shopping bags. My other ideas have been to make pillow cases for people and wrap their present in that. Just another frugal idea, I save all the color Sunday comics. Most kids love to actually rip into paper, so I try to wrap kid gifts in paper. My nephew was so funny, at his birthday, he actually pieced it back together, so he could read the comics. If you start saving now, you might have enough to wrap all your presents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stoliedina
« Reply #731 on: August 15, 2009 11:43:46 AM »

amarchan - wonderful first submission! Thank you for sharing. I've wanted to do re-useable Christmas bags for a long time. There are so many affordable holiday prints available at fabric stores, and online now. Maybe I should make some for the gifts that I've already made Smiley I love the pillowcase idea too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: August 15, 2009 11:59:02 AM »

holy crap, I love Absolutely Fabulous! Those bracelets are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
malgudi

a puppy is but a dog, + high spirits - commonsense

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 16, 2009 05:28:06 AM »

stoliedina, Thanks so much!
There is so much detailing in your bracelets. The designs are beautiful.
The pendant looks cute with the washi paper.
Hearty Congratulations on all the lovely things happening with you Grin

oneredboot, great idea to include with hand knit socks Smiley

amarchan, it is awesome that you are planning reusable bags. They are going to be wonderful  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prttynpnk
« Reply #734 on: August 16, 2009 08:25:14 AM »

amarchan~ I love the reusable bags and pillowcases (never would have thought of pillowcases!!).It's awesome that you got the fabric secondhand. I was trying to figure out how to wrap my gifts this year b/c I hate the huge waste of wrapping paper/boxes/bags at the holidays.Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prttynpnk
« Reply #735 on: August 17, 2009 08:52:09 AM »

Here's my favorite work in progress~

The recycled magazine bowl!

I got the idea for this from an Earth Day event at my local library. The librarian showed us how to make a bunch of stuff using recycled magazines and a few other things. I've been working on this off and on since April. I have a huge stack of magazines to use. I plan on working on this as close to Christmas as possible, b/c I want this bowl to be huge! Right now it's flat, b/c you don't shape it and modgepodge it until it is the size you want. I'm making this for my sister. She's into everything green and the environment. Grin

Pictures:

It measures 10 1/2 inches across so far.

Some thumbnails of the magazine pages torn out and folded.

Close-up of the side, this shows that I staple the pages together.

I've used three full magazines so far and I'm working on my fourth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
malgudi

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 19, 2009 03:08:09 AM »

wow, what a lovely idea. I'll definitely be looking forward to see the finish Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #737 on: August 20, 2009 06:51:48 PM »

for August I'm going to post a quicky "got it done" project but I'll tell you about my works on progress too.

These are a few drawstring bags I whipped up.  I embellished most of them with iron on rhinestone monograms.  The plan is to give the gift basket type little gifts for the closer relatives in gift bags, or at least be able to keep them separate before they go into the stockings if they don't become a proper under the tree gift. I'm hoping to be a be able to re-use them as gift bags for many other holidays. This purple one is for my daughter's birthday, which is coming up faster than I can believe.

The green one is going to hold my daughter's play food for her new play kitchen. (Fabulous thrift store find)

I don't have pics of my works in progress, but here they are:
  • a hand bound journal. I've got the paper folded but haven't done anything with the cover or binding or anything. 
  • 2 Magazine bowls, laying flat and ready to be glued into bowls, thinking of making another for either a three bowl set or two bowls and a trivet.
  • I'm 20 inches into a Dr. Who style scarf

On another note, I decided to wrap some of the gifts I've already completed and/or bought at thrift stores.  So far I've got at least one thing for everyone on the family list except my father-in-law.  He's by far the hardest to buy/craft for.  Though he is retiring this year so maybe I can do something with that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

malgudi

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 21, 2009 03:18:52 AM »

kstaron, you bags are fabulous Cheesy
I'm sure your daughter will have lots of fun with them.
And nice progress on other gifts too. Would look forward to them.
Hope you find some great ideas to craft for your father-in-law Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneredboot
« Reply #739 on: August 23, 2009 02:30:37 PM »

I'm taking a little break from socks this month and working on this month's theme:  finishing projects!!  

First up:  Christmas cards are complete!  Here are about quarter of them:

I used all the cards we received last year, cut the recycling image into them, sewed a felt backing, and then connected a printed-fabric message with a brad.  Details:

From now on, I'm going to be re-purposing every year's cards into the next year's cards, so I thought I would educate all the recipients about it this year.  Thus, the recycling symbol.  I love how these turned out, and I already have ideas for next year's cards!  

I made two felted wool hats, one for my husband and one for my cousin.  They're made from hubby's favorite hemp/wool sweater, which he shrunk in the wash last winter.  

I also did some hand-dyeing this weekend:  remember all that apricot-colored wool I found cheap?  I dyed the last pair of apricot-colored socks olive for hubby.  I also dyed some light-colored organic cotton knit fabric that I ordered a few years ago--I didn't like the color when it arrived, so it's been in my stash forever.  I dyed it olive, too, and plan to make several pairs of boxers, also for hubby!  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009 02:37:23 PM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Summer Lipsticks
How to Make Matte Nail Polish
How To Make 3 At-Home Cellulite Remedies
Eva Chen Introduces the May 2014 Digital Edition
Drew Barrymore and Eva Chen: Answering Your Beauty Questions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...