A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2009 Holiday Handmade Crusade :: (INACTIVE - Search for the 2010 thread)  (Read 91091 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2009 03:08:30 PM »

Are mini-mittens easier or harder to make than real mittens? I realize they certainly won't take as long to make, but I'm a non knitter, but really wants to be a knitter, and I was just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverseenblue
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2009 06:31:34 PM »

I love those mini-mittens!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stoliedina
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2009 06:54:20 PM »

Are mini-mittens easier or harder to make than real mittens? I realize they certainly won't take as long to make, but I'm a non knitter, but really wants to be a knitter, and I was just wondering.

Well, the easy part is that there are not many stitches to the mini-mittens. Less stitches to knit = less time, so in that regard, they are easier, or quicker. The hard part with these little buggers is that they are tiny, so that makes the needles a little cumbersome to handle. These would be excellent practice for real mittens, because it gives you an idea how mittens are constructed on a much smaller scale. Hope that helps!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2009 08:37:12 PM »

I'm a knitter, but not a very accomplished one. I've never knit a real mitten, but these little ones are not bad at all.  I've been knitting mine on size 3 needles (but I finally bought size 1, yay!) and it's small, but not TOO impossibly small.  Roll Eyes  Go for it! Become a knitter!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
Ezri_B
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2009 05:12:07 AM »

stoliedina and christephi thank you so much. I may have to try pulling out my needles again and giving the knitting thing a try. Crocheting came so easily, but I have a hard time with the knitting. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftscout
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2009 05:18:01 AM »

Here's my ornament entry. All from my stash!
snipped: beaded ornamenty goodness with blue and clear beads

It looks a little wonky but I'll play with it more and get the beads to lay a little better.

You just had to go and inspire somebody, didn't you?  I have done a beaded ornament like this in a few years, but it looks like a lovely way to destash all those nasty seed beads that I refuse to use in my beadweaving, but can't possibly throw away . . . Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
ineedart
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2009 10:45:13 AM »

Just stumbled upon this thread and I love it! I am going to try and whip out some ornaments either this afternoon or tomorrow. This past Christmas I did about 70 percent homemade...and want to do at least that again this year....this will be a great way to get it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.   ~Pablo Picasso

Looking for small but interesting scraps to make I Spy Quilts for my kids...will swap other fabric or ??
mermaidcafe

don't dream it - be it

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2009 11:17:50 AM »

this is an awesome idea!  i've been reading along for a few days and so far i've made some cards... i'm combining them with the destash craftalong, so I only used things that I already had! Smiley
I'll load some pictures soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftscout
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2009 02:02:45 PM »

Okay, they're not ornaments, but they are definitely winter holiday stuff.  This is what I did today:

Originally I bought this quilt block kit on clearance years ago, along with the snowflake corduroy, never intending to build the intended quilt (even if I could have found all of the quilt block packages in the clearance section).  I just really liked the snowflake blocks.  I started working on a wall hanging and a furoshiki.  The furoshiki only needs to be hemmed, but the wall hanging needs edging, batting, backing, binding, hanging tube, and basically about half of the work.

All of which I did when I should have been finishing up a dress for certain birthday girl's party on Saturday. Roll Eyes

I'm trying to build up a nice stash of furoshiki (wrapping cloths), because most of the ones I currently have are pink (for DD's birthday last year, I made a bunch).  This is what a box wrapped in this one looked like (although this is a bad tie method for this furoshiki):

The wall hanging will prolly become a holiday present for one of my cousins (that was actually the original intention with this purchase. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 02:03:39 PM by craftscout » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2009 04:37:07 PM »

Not exactly an ornament but I still consider this to be a Christmas Decoration.  I redressed a Santa doll that a made a few years ago.

There are more photos and information on his own thread in the toy & dolls borad.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=287233.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Draw Blastus from Robotomy
How to Draw the Pirate Captain
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
How to Draw a Leopard
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...