A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2009 Holiday Handmade Crusade :: (INACTIVE - Search for the 2010 thread)  (Read 74079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2009 03:08:30 PM »

Are mini-mittens easier or harder to make than real mittens? I realize they certainly won't take as long to make, but I'm a non knitter, but really wants to be a knitter, and I was just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverseenblue
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2009 06:31:34 PM »

I love those mini-mittens!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stoliedina
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2009 06:54:20 PM »

Are mini-mittens easier or harder to make than real mittens? I realize they certainly won't take as long to make, but I'm a non knitter, but really wants to be a knitter, and I was just wondering.

Well, the easy part is that there are not many stitches to the mini-mittens. Less stitches to knit = less time, so in that regard, they are easier, or quicker. The hard part with these little buggers is that they are tiny, so that makes the needles a little cumbersome to handle. These would be excellent practice for real mittens, because it gives you an idea how mittens are constructed on a much smaller scale. Hope that helps!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2009 08:37:12 PM »

I'm a knitter, but not a very accomplished one. I've never knit a real mitten, but these little ones are not bad at all.  I've been knitting mine on size 3 needles (but I finally bought size 1, yay!) and it's small, but not TOO impossibly small.  Roll Eyes  Go for it! Become a knitter!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
Ezri_B
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2009 05:12:07 AM »

stoliedina and christephi thank you so much. I may have to try pulling out my needles again and giving the knitting thing a try. Crocheting came so easily, but I have a hard time with the knitting. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftscout
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2009 05:18:01 AM »

Here's my ornament entry. All from my stash!
snipped: beaded ornamenty goodness with blue and clear beads

It looks a little wonky but I'll play with it more and get the beads to lay a little better.

You just had to go and inspire somebody, didn't you?  I have done a beaded ornament like this in a few years, but it looks like a lovely way to destash all those nasty seed beads that I refuse to use in my beadweaving, but can't possibly throw away . . . Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
ineedart
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2009 10:45:13 AM »

Just stumbled upon this thread and I love it! I am going to try and whip out some ornaments either this afternoon or tomorrow. This past Christmas I did about 70 percent homemade...and want to do at least that again this year....this will be a great way to get it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.   ~Pablo Picasso

Looking for small but interesting scraps to make I Spy Quilts for my kids...will swap other fabric or ??
mermaidcafe

don't dream it - be it

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2009 11:17:50 AM »

this is an awesome idea!  i've been reading along for a few days and so far i've made some cards... i'm combining them with the destash craftalong, so I only used things that I already had! Smiley
I'll load some pictures soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftscout
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2009 02:02:45 PM »

Okay, they're not ornaments, but they are definitely winter holiday stuff.  This is what I did today:

Originally I bought this quilt block kit on clearance years ago, along with the snowflake corduroy, never intending to build the intended quilt (even if I could have found all of the quilt block packages in the clearance section).  I just really liked the snowflake blocks.  I started working on a wall hanging and a furoshiki.  The furoshiki only needs to be hemmed, but the wall hanging needs edging, batting, backing, binding, hanging tube, and basically about half of the work.

All of which I did when I should have been finishing up a dress for certain birthday girl's party on Saturday. Roll Eyes

I'm trying to build up a nice stash of furoshiki (wrapping cloths), because most of the ones I currently have are pink (for DD's birthday last year, I made a bunch).  This is what a box wrapped in this one looked like (although this is a bad tie method for this furoshiki):

The wall hanging will prolly become a holiday present for one of my cousins (that was actually the original intention with this purchase. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 02:03:39 PM by craftscout » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2009 04:37:07 PM »

Not exactly an ornament but I still consider this to be a Christmas Decoration.  I redressed a Santa doll that a made a few years ago.

There are more photos and information on his own thread in the toy & dolls borad.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=287233.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Alejandro from Total Drama World Tour
How to Draw Dino
How to Paint With an Air Compressor
How to Draw Decorative Letters
How to Draw Anime Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...