A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st Dress EVER! / Vintage Pattern *pic heavy*  (Read 2863 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 04, 2009 10:41:52 AM »

Okay, here's my latest project. I got a bug up my butt yesterday to try to make something from a pattern. A real-live pattern. So I looked the box of patterns that I got in one of the craigslist scores and set to work. The pattern is, I believe (since there's no dated postmark or copyright date) that it's from the late fifties or early sixties.

Since I don't really know how to read a pattern, I just used my best guess for most of the things. Oh, and this pattern isn't marked at all, it's just tissue pieces with notches and holes. No printing at all. So here it is on the dress form:

(yes, that's a red zipper. I didn't have a purple or a white one, so I just used the red one)

Some detail:

It's still not done, though. I need to tack down the collar, change the zipper, add a closure at the top and hem it.

But here's how it looks on:

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 03:50:05 PM »

this is amazing.  especially considering that you've never made a dress and used a vintage pattern!  Great job!!
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009 08:30:01 AM »

I meant to comment earlier that I think you did a wonderful job considering the lack of pattern markings and having never really used a pattern before! I feel like the collar should be the other way but I understand it's vintage so it makes sense. lol.
You should defenitely try a "modern" pattern or one with more markings I bet you'd do great!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 03:53:14 PM »

Very cute, I love the pattern!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 05:06:41 PM »

I agree with the first two comments you did well considering that this was your first dress and first time using patterns much less those vintage ones. I like the print of the collar, cuffs and belt and the material you chose. I hope you try another pattern (maybe one with markings lol), I'm sure it would turn out even better.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 05:28:05 AM »

OMG, if you have any of that leopard left, make a little pillbox hat!  Get a pair of spike heel pointy toed shoes, little black gloves, clutch purse, cat's eye glasses, and you're channelling 1963!  Love it!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 08:01:01 PM »

What a neat pattern!  Yours turned out wonderfully Smiley

Visit my Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 08:17:15 PM »

Love the that combination of fabrics, very well done - particularly for your first dress!   Smiley Smiley Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crab Ravioli Wontons w/ Chef Susanna Foo at Gourmet Kitchen
How to Make Steamed Dumplings
How to Order Chinese Food in Chinese
All About Sushi
Which Sushi to Try for the First Time
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...