A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: snoods and other ren fair attire  (Read 2798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2004 01:36:27 PM »

I need a ren fair costume for this summer* (see below for the rambly explaination).  I think I can make a dress if I can just figure out what kind to make.  I want something easy to sew and not too fancy.  any suggestions?

also, I want to make a snood**.  I've figured out the netting part ( http://members.tripod.com/nicolaa5/articles/hairnet.htm ) but I'm not sure how to attatch it to my head.  I'm thinking a ribbon...  any ideas?

any general been-there-done-that advice?

----------

*ok, well now, I love dressing up in period costumes.  ever since I've been a little girl I've loved it.  I was probably the only eight year old at my school who had both an 18th century and 19th century outfit that she regulary wore to church.

but now I'm 19, and I have a boyfriend who's into ren fairs.  he has a few he works during the summer and such, and I'm going to go with him for one of two this next season.  hence my problem; I have no real outfit.  now, I'm pretty good at sewing, my mom's great at sewing, I have about 4 different costume patterns to get a dress from, and about 4 costumes from the mid/ren era that I can steal/modify.  I'm also going to have my b/f's sister helps me since she's good at ren costumes, too.

**yes, I know they're actually called cauls, but I've always known them as snoods.

websites I've found that are very helpful:
http://costume.dm.net/
http://www.sempstress.org/
http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/index.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 01:38:17 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004 01:39:14 PM »

I havent made a snood yet but I own a few.  Mine is made of Nylon ( I think) and there is elastic in the part that goes around (my forehead and the back of my neck).  I hope that helps...my snood is black and so is the elastic...so you can't tell...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004 03:55:00 PM »

Hey kategirl,

I've made about a billion peasant-type ren-fair costumes in my day... I know a nice way to make a skirt, with cartridge pleating and a contoured waistband.  Fits great, drrapes beautifully, doesn't ride up or down, never pops out from under your bodice :)  You sound pretty skillful so maybe you've got it under control already, but let me know if you want a step-by-step :)

Have fun at the fair!

Kara (former Morris Dancer)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004 05:33:28 PM »

OK, I've done a ton for renfair costumes.  I can dress 6 woman and 5 men from my stock pile and I've given costumes to a lot of friends.  Did I mention I got married at a faire and dressed most of the wedding party?  So I've worked with several patterns and here's a quick review:
McCall's 2793: vest, overdress, under dress and skirt all good.  The apron: I have not made.
McCall's 8449: dresses....not worth the effort.  There are better patterns to work from.  I haven't done the hat thing.
Simplicity 7756: I like this one.  If you want only a vest though you'll want to probably lengthen the vest part of the dress slightly.  I've gotten a lot of complaiments on dresses from the pattern.
Simplicity 8192:  THe one piece underdress is great, at least the one that ends at the wrists is.  The neckline cut is good.  My wedding dress was the high waisted veiw for the overdress.  I added an attached over skirt to the vest and the whole thing was a great pattern to work with.  
Simplicty 9256: I like this one too.  I'll warn you with the vest.  The point at the front's base can be a challenge to keep flat if you use a light weight fabric.  Not anything a bit of smoothing when you stand up can't fix.  I wear this one often but you'll need help with the lacings on the back.  Same case with most back lacings.
Simplicity 9533: I've only made the coat with the capped "sleaves".  Good for when it is a bit cool but too hot for most times.  Unless you like the look a lot, I would suggest picking up a length of fabric and making a shawl instead.  I found some rough looking fabric and just heamed the edges and that worked fine.
AlterYear "Irish" Dress and Underskirt: The pattern is a bit hard to work with.  Only made it once and never again.  Too much effort involved.

I've also done a lot of men's patterns if anyone wants to know about those.  Just add a post and I'll list those.  

The hardest part of the costume is the vest part so wait until last for it.  That way if you can't make it, at least the under parts are done so you can just pick one up at the faire for like a billion dollars. Smiley LOL  I'd stick with a basic cream or brown for your underdress because it won't should the dust so much plus it goes well for many costumes.  Colors and the fabrics themselves make a big difference in your "class" so I go with a peasant style dress for the first effort.  It blends into the crowd more and some rough work will be ok since you're not an upper class.  Take a look at some photos on the web for help and pick and choose things you like to make it you're own.  If you need to carry stuff, I was able to find a handled basket to carry and made a cover with fabric.  I've seen women with belt pouches also and drawstring purses for an alterative idea.  

On the snood, I've never made one.  Sorry but I have hair jewelry that I wear for my upper class costumes and I just braid the hair when I do the peasant thing.  Sometimes I wear a straw hat.  Maybe I should try a snood for this year.  They are too expensive at the faire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004 06:33:16 PM »

There are a lot of (free) snood patterns for knit and crochet. Just do a search on Google for snood pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 06:43:08 PM »

wow, I was worried that this wasn't even the appropriate place to ask such questions...

kara - I'd really appreciate instructions if you could!  Cheesy  but don't worry about doing it this second if you don't have time; I probably won't get a chance to start on it until may.

Nynaeve - thanks for all the comments!  I'll have to look for some of those patterns over spring break and see what I think of them.  I was having troubles actually finding pictures of them online.

edit:  woo hoo!  after looking at the simplicity site, I'm pretty sure that the 7756 pattern is the one that my mom made my humanities dress with last year...  I'll have to take a look at it.

ecinue - oh, I have, I have!  the only problem is that those are more like 20th century 40's type snoods, not ren snoods.  actual snoods of the period were netting.  while I'm not by any stretch of the imagination going to lots of accuracy here, I'd still like to be close if I can.   Smiley   btw, I really love the sheep!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 07:07:09 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 06:50:04 PM »

YOu could use needle lace to make the netting anchored on a regular elastic headband.

Tutorial for needle lace is here
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004 08:18:51 PM »

this site has a ton of great costume links: http://reddawn.net/costume/links.htm   and those sites have even more great links...haha...I made my brother a monk costume for a fair last year using one of those sites although I cant remember which one...if I find any more good links Ill be sure to post
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best New Beauty Products for February
How to Get a "No Makeup" Makeup Look
How Social Media and Phones Ruin Your Skin
How to Apply Bright Bold Lipstick
Sun-Kissed Makeup at the Rachel Zoe SS 2014 Fashion Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...