A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Take Out?  (Read 6044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HarleyQuinn
« on: January 03, 2009 11:45:52 PM »

A little back story before I get to the pictures...

Every year my Dad's side of the family gets together Christmas Eve for dinner, a gift exchange, and then an ornament "swap"...
The basic idea behind the ornament swap is to bring a wrapped gift, set them all in the middle of a table and draw numbers... the person who draws number one chooses a gift (not from their household) and opens it, Person two can then open an ornament or steal person one's ornament... the game continues this way until all the presents have been opened... (these aren't all the rules but you get the idea...)

This year i decided to make Chinese Takeout boxes for my family's ornaments, I've been wanting to make them for a while but never got around to it until I got snowed in with over a foot of snow...

I only remembered to take a picture of the first one, but I learned that cardboard boxes are to thick for these lol...

On to the pictures...

I used a plastic takeout box that I had from a Halloween party as a template to make the box, then glued wrapping paper to the outside and used ribbon for the handle...

Because the cardboard was so think, it was hard to shut (note to self, future attempts I wont be using cardboard boxes...)

and the inside wasn't so pretty, but I still thought it was cute and for my first contest entry I think they turned out pretty well...

I'm proud to announce also, the box was faught over even after the exchange was over... the ornament inside as adorable but everyone loved the box more... it made me feel really good  Grin

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Comments/Criticism welcome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 12:31:12 AM »

Absolutely adorable! I need to remember this idea for small gifts. Did you make the ornament too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
HarleyQuinn
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 12:56:01 AM »

Absolutely adorable! I need to remember this idea for small gifts. Did you make the ornament too?

No I didn't, I wanted to but ran out of time so I bought one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 09:02:19 AM »

Love the idea and what you did with it!  Very clever indeed.  I like it most because it is reusable.  I love boxes.  Maybe, nextime use cereal or garment boxes or some other thinner donut box.  (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)  Wink  If you score it with a credit card or something, you will get a nice fold. 

I made a large one in college out of matboard once, but cut each side apart and covered with butcher paper on both sides leaving a small gap on the fold edges.  I used a wire coat hanger for a handle and tied some pretty chopsticks into a ribbon on top for a closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmtvoice
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 01:39:20 PM »

Great Idea!

Question about the wrapping paper...It looks like you used a Mylar wrapping paper, is this on purpose or would regular paper do this trick as well. I ask because it seems that a regular paper would have trouble not ripping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at http://pmtvoice.com
Design your own personalized ribbon at http://www.printmyribbon.com or custom labels at http://www.printmything.com
miss_kassandra
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 07:38:49 PM »

it look amazing... also my family does something a along those lines for our gift exchange, but we do one round where everyone opens a gift and the next round people can steal the gifts.. i love watching it when growing up as a child too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps Smiley
Willing to trade 1.5" sqaure of fabric

http://www.wists.com/miss_kassandra
HarleyQuinn
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 07:11:37 AM »

Great Idea!

Question about the wrapping paper...It looks like you used a Mylar wrapping paper, is this on purpose or would regular paper do this trick as well. I ask because it seems that a regular paper would have trouble not ripping.

It wasn't Mylar... I think it was just really shiny wrapping paper, fortunately I didn't have any ripping problems...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010 11:02:50 PM »

Very cool!

*Idea stolen for Christmas* Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Way to Go From Brunette to Blonde
Ballerina Inspired Hairstyle at the Bibhu Mohapatra SS 2014 Show
How to Get Sexy Date Night Hair in Minutes
Modern Textured Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji SS 2014 Fashion Show
A Quick Updo Tutorial, for a Formal Event
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...