A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Start Up  (Read 1437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RaspberryStitches
« on: January 03, 2009 10:51:24 PM »

My girlfriend and I are starting up a online shop to share our crafts with the world.

Anywho, was wondering what you guys thought about the first small batch.  Cheesy

Not too keen on the blue camo myself  Tongue
I'd love to hear some opinion on character design or maybe some advise (business or otherwise) from those who have had shops going for a while.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 08:42:34 AM »

Har-har! The red one is hi-larious!

I saw quite a few monster sellers at the craft shows I went to this December. They seem to be attractive to the young adult crowd; how to reach them isn't my forte, but I would think some urban boutiquey type places would like them. You should do a walkabout in your nearest urban shopping streets and see what's out there. You never know what can happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RaspberryStitches
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 12:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the advise! We're actually in talks with a relative that owns a boutique to display and/or buy some of our plushies. We're trying our best atm to use social networking to our advantage; e.g blogging, twitter, flickr, facebook, myspace, etc in hopes it will stir up some interest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Josh - Photo.net
Photography Guru - Knitting Knucklehead

My little man and me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 09:41:22 PM »

There are a lot of these out there right now. So you are going to have to find something to set yourself apart. Or, and probably better, finding a retail outlet that doesn't carry anything like these yet. Given that most of the people who you are competing against will also be using social-networking stuff, I'm not sure how much of a marketing help that will be. Good old fashioned phonework and shoeleather is more likely to get your product into stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaspberryStitches
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 09:07:08 AM »

Great advise. It's something we're really focusing on right now (setting ourselves apart). We're taking our first steps to build an inventory so we'll have something to offer shops.

I've been reading up on the consignment threads as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PonyHuetchen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009 12:35:05 AM »

I just LOVE these, vry beautiful work and I think your website has the right "style" to promote your products!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JimJuris
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009 10:39:06 PM »

As a photographer, I would like to suggest that you retake your photos because there is too much clutter in the images.

Your blue doll looks different in the group photo than it does in the individual photo.  I think that the doll in the group photo looks more like the actual doll than the blue doll in the individual photo.

Your Frannie image should show both eyes.

I like the blue doll that is in the group photo the most.  Blue happens to be my favorite color.

You have a very nice website.  Here is my recommendation.  Put KEYWORDS in the titles of each of your pages, not the name of your website.  The title is the thin blue strip at the very top of the monitor.  That will help you with higher search engine rankings.

I recommend that you write a little story about each of these dolls.  Give them a name and an a character identity.  Do this on your website, not just your Etsy shop.  You don't have enough text on your site to rank high in the search engines.  You need text then you have in your Etsy shop with keywords on your website if you want to be ranked high in the search engines and if you want people to click on your dolls.

I think that you should also list the materials that make up the doll.

A photo of a child holding/playing with each of your dolls may make them more desireable.

If you want to sell your dolls find out who your target market is and then market where your target market hangs out.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 10:51:36 PM by JimJuris » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativelyNell
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012 07:35:39 PM »

I love this idea.  Very funny and still cute lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-the-trendie
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013 09:43:19 PM »

Hey. How's your shop going? I wonder if it's difficult to have an on-line shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013 04:12:11 AM »

Well, their website is no longer a website, and their etsy shop is no longer an etsy shop, so they may have given a half effort into selling, then came to the conclusion that "selling is hard" and decided to quit. This is the life span of many startup businesses: short.

The question "how difficult is it to have an online shop?" isn't really the right question. The right question is "how dedicated are you to maintaining an online shop and making it a success?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Understand the Depth Of Field in Digital Photos
How to Zoom in On Your Photographic Subject
How to Transfer Photos from Your Digital Camera to Computer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...