A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scarf :: Supersize me :: Speed StiX  (Read 4440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2009 03:11:35 PM »

I completed this project using Lion Brand Speed stix and red heart leftover yarn from a friend's project. I read some bad reviews about speed stiX...but I confess I had a good time. I would like to share the results with you.I hope you like my scarf..or shal...or head cover...or... Cheesy These needles can help you make a gift in one hour!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 03:56:31 PM by PerachYafeh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 04:09:32 PM »

I haven't tried them, but you scarf is beautiful.  Aren't they hard to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 04:22:32 PM »

At first the needles felt a little weird in my hands since it is so thick...but after a while it is a walk in the park. You just have to get used to it....I really had a lot of fun, and I am already planing on my next project. The good thing about this 50 size needles is that you can use those funky yarns and actually see what you are doing it  Grin. I am thinking to get some fetucinni from Lion Brand.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 05:20:36 PM by PerachYafeh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 05:39:09 PM »

Your scarf looks great!

I used SpeedStix to make a "six-hour, basket weave afghan" (a Lion Brand pattern from a booklet) that took me more like ten hours (learning curve -- the project asked us to use four strands of chunky yarn at a time, which I'd never done before). It was very physical knitting! Like a mini-workout.  Smiley The SpeedStix are the same diameter as our kitchen broom handle, so at one point when I had a problem, I moved all 40 giant stitches onto the broom handle so I could get a better picture of issue and because I was so curious about how wide the finished product would be. A friend of mine wanted to knit a project twice as wide as the afghan, for a rug, I think, so I suggested she sharpen and wax two broom handles for needles (which could be a great gag for a knitting event?), but I'd think they'd get pretty heavy after a while. At any rate, I thought the SpeedStix were fun for a one-time project, and I love my afghan -- nice 'n' cozy.

Anyway, your scarf looks great! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 05:51:42 PM »

I have some spped stix and I love them!  This scarf looks warm and cozy!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009 06:04:21 PM »

Maybe I'll have to pick some up and try them out..I have a convertible needles kit so I never buy new needles, but such good results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 06:11:36 PM »

You will love it...if you can get a 40% coupon for Joann or Michael...the price gets even better! There is a an awsome yarn sale at Joann by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009 07:22:02 PM »

Nice...I just got a coupon in my inbox from AC Moore. I need to sign up at Joann's for their coupons.  I can't wait until I can use the newest coupon.  I think it starts in a couple of days.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bezoona
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009 07:29:02 PM »

Nice Perach! I literally almost bought those tonight at Joanns, they have an off brand BTW I can't remember the name of it, that were for $6.99 and with the 40% off coupon, that's a pretty fun deal even if you only use it for 2 or 3 crafts and then pass them along?

My question was, did you use ultra thick yarn? That's what I was looking for and I didn't see anything I wanted to knit with? What do you recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009 08:00:27 PM »

Hello Be!!
     Believe it or not I used red heart, medium weight ( gotta love this yarn..cheap as a cup of Joe). In my view the yarn is kind of skinny, but thanks to the mega stitch you can fluff up the project and you get a chunky look. I think almost any yarn would work with this needles, medium to bulky weight. So wool easy, bloucle, cupcake...all these might work just fine! I read somewhere that you can mix the "furry" ones with microspoon and get a cool look. I am dying to try the fettuccine yarn...this yarn is flat, and you get a ribbon like work. One thing that I will avoid at all cost is sleek (silky) kind of yarns while I am still getting hold of these needles.
    I hope I helped a little. Let me know about your project...and thanks for letting me know that there is already a generic one in the market...you said Joann has the generic one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Death Valley, Badwater Photography Tips
How to Pose Your Subjects in a Picture
How to Compose a Great Photograph
How to Use Lighting to Take Great Photos
How to Photograph Stamping Projects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...