A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let It Snow... *Many Many Very Large Pictures* *Really, A LOT*  (Read 10762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunspotted
« on: January 03, 2009 11:52:48 AM »

I'm not sure how stylish this "wrapping" job is, but it is definitely thrifty and uses one of Canada's renewable resources.  Also, I didn't know about this challenge until after Christmas, so the photos are kind of cobbled together from various relatives.  Sorry.

Back story.  I am THAT auntie.  The one who doesn't have kids.  The one who thinks babysitting is fun for exactly half an hour and only with children who speak in full sentences and can wipe their own butts.  And are well rested and not bratty and not hungry and not shrieky and ... I could go on.  I'm also the one who thinks store bought toys are stupid and you should make your own fun out of wood and string.   Grin  So for gift giving I'm apt to hand out craft supplies, books or sporting equipment.  I do get them fabulous things though, so I can buy their affections and I'll have someone to take care of me when I am old and decrepit.  I don't care if they're just doing it to get my money when I die, quite thrifty of them I think.

Anyway, this year, the oldest niece and nephew were getting snowshoes.  Because snowshoes are AWESOME.  And we've had about 600 metres of snow already this year and yes it is snowing right now too. 

Snowshoes being somewhat oddly shaped and difficult to wrap, I planned to sew some bags out of Christmas fabric.  But then I forgot and it was suddenly Christmas morning and the kids were coming over in half an hour and I panicked.  So I called up the brother, told him to make sure the kids were wearing their snowpants and Sorels and I started digging in the back yard.  And came up with this.

Close up

Piles of snow, even those jauntily topped with bows however, are a bit boring.  So I added a yarn maze to follow.  Red for my niece and green for the nephew.  Green doesn't really show up in these pictures though.  Oh well.  It's there, I promise.

The beginning of the maze was the front porch and I made some little Christmas card/tags for each kid. 

Brother forgot the snowpants request of course. 

I don't have a picture with the "presents" opened because there was a tragic boot in snow accident that resulted in my having to carry the niece through the rest of the maze and then balance with her on my lap while she dug in the snow, and then carry her and the snowshoes back through the huge drifts of snow.   And then I needed a drink and a nap and a chance to forget the whole idea.  Nephew cheated and just ran toward the present when he saw it.  Smart little bugger!

Thanks to those who are still reading and Happy 2009 to you all!

P.S.  I'm getting the niece an ice fishing shack for her 7th birthday in February.  Any wrapping ideas for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
kissme
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 12:56:53 PM »

You are the coolest aunt ever!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AsphaltQueen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 01:02:00 PM »

You are the coolest aunt ever!   Grin

Okay, that's really weird because I was going to type exactly that! Wowza.

Awesome job, sunspotted - can I be your niece, too? I can wipe my own butt and I don't whine too much. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purringbubbles
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 02:12:22 PM »

there's two things i love about this- 1) it's ingenious and free and 2) your gifts are practical.  what good is another plastic action figure that someone is just gonna step on and break?  i am terribly jealous that you've had so much snow! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 02:17:52 PM »

that is SO cool. i can't believe you wrapped them in...snow!! i was cracking up when i saw the pictures! such a clever idea, i love how you attached a maze to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009 02:50:17 PM »

Your idea is rather brilliant, and I had my first "laugh out loud" for the year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 03:05:18 PM »

Oh Canada......way to upcycle materials sunspotted, thats a beauty idea, eh!!  I love the maze idea as well, you are totally rocking the fun aunt job Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009 11:21:38 AM »

I am THAT auntie.  The one who doesn't have kids.  The one who thinks babysitting is fun for exactly half an hour and only with children who speak in full sentences and can wipe their own butts.  And are well rested and not bratty and not hungry and not shrieky and ... I could go on.  I'm also the one who thinks store bought toys are stupid and you should make your own fun out of wood and string.

Hello, That Aunt. Let me introduce myself. I am THAT Aunt. Cheesy

That's such an awesome idea...haha I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
Michele Leigh
Bookworm, Crocheter, X-Stitcher & Quilter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009 11:36:18 AM »

That's fabulous!  We have enough snow here in Alberta for that, I'll have to remember that for future years, as I have two December babies as well as Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michele

Please be patient with me, I'm just getting the hang of how I lost my mind...
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
sunspotted
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009 05:20:35 PM »

Thank you everybody.  We've had about 4 more feet of snow since Christmas, so I definitely picked a good year for snowshoes. 

AQ, consider yourself niece-dopted.  As long as you promise to outlive me and shovel the porch off when I become too old and feeble to do it myself.  Say, next Tuesday or so?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Long Exposure Photography with Sparkler Fireworks
Professional Photography Equipment Vitals
How to Make a Sepia Tone in Photoshop
World Press Photo Exhibit 2009
World Press Photos Of The Year
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...