A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cinnamon drawer/closets sachets with instructions  (Read 3237 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

macaulkv
« on: March 13, 2005 07:31:19 PM »

i made these cute cinnamon butterfly drawer sachets:

i followed a recipe for cinnamon ornaments from the sampler but i'll replicate it here.

1/4 cup white glue
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup ground cinnamon

mix everything in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes to stiffen. if it's really dry, add a bit of water (i had to do this). roll out dough to 1/2 inch. i rolled it out between two pieces of waxed paper which helped with the stickyness. cut out into shapes (i made butterflies and purses) and use a straw (or toothpick) to poke holes if desired (for ribbon decoration or hanging). let dry on a cookie sheet for two days or cook in 200 degree oven for 2 hours (flip halfway though drying). decorate as desired. i tied ribbons through the holes i made in mine. wrap in clear plastic bags, tie with ribbon and create an instructive label least anyone think these are cookies!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 08:02:56 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguino
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005 09:26:05 PM »

These are super cool...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loveliness
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005 03:40:21 AM »

That's a great idea for a gift! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005 04:15:34 AM »

and they dont crumble or anything when they're taken out and put in the drawers?
white glue is pva?
and are there any alternatives to applesauce?
look funky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
weaselfeet
Wretched arthritis seems to be starting - unless you can get carpal tunnel symptoms in your fingers.

Can I PLEASE take it with me?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005 06:57:10 PM »

and they dont crumble or anything when they're taken out and put in the drawers?
white glue is pva?
and are there any alternatives to applesauce?
look funky!

They don't crumble. I got the recipe a few years ago in a children's craft book, and I made a whole bunch of Christmas shapes and strung them with a holiday plaid ribbon and red mardi-gras type beads, and they're still holding up. You can also make them into ball shapes for your drawers or to insert in sneakers (mmm...sweet feet, teehee). They're really very versatile. I don't think there are any alternatives to applesauce, no.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the fight between you and the world, back the world. ~ Frank Zappa

How can I phrase this diplomatically without a lawsuit coming... ah screw it. ~Stein
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005 01:27:05 PM »

This is a cute idea that ive seen before and always wanted to try out.  Im meeting my best friend's highschool friends this weekend so that we all know each other before her wedding this summer, and i'm thinking ill make one of these for each girl as a nice little token of friendship.  Plus Mother's day is just around the bend... wonder how many a batch makes?

Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005 04:28:57 PM »

Thats a really good idea. And with yours all dolled up by the packaging, it looks, well, FOXY. Great job. I out to try this, considering I stick a box of dryer sheets in my drawers. Teehee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
macaulkv
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005 09:10:26 PM »

This is a cute idea that ive seen before and always wanted to try out.  Im meeting my best friend's highschool friends this weekend so that we all know each other before her wedding this summer, and i'm thinking ill make one of these for each girl as a nice little token of friendship.  Plus Mother's day is just around the bend... wonder how many a batch makes?

Thanks for the tutorial!

Gosh, the one batch I made I got about 12-18 shapes from. It makes a lot! It depends on your cookie-cutter size, obviously, but I free-hand cut some purses with a butter knife about 2-3" long. I had plenty for birthday and Valentine gifts (when I made them it was a week before V-day).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005 11:40:09 PM »

Whew, did it!  That dough was wicked fussy.. i had to just keep adding applesauce water and glue until it wasnt crumbly anymore.  I got a dozen, and thats how i did the purses too! I sharpied on some details and added a rhinestone and bow for glamour. 

Turned out way cute.  And now, NOW i have some gifts to give.   ...and i found cinnamon for 50cents a jar at walmart.  ..score.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
CraftyZary
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005 12:00:51 AM »

What a great gift idea! and yout cinnamon butterflies turned out great. Often I need little gifts and now I know what I will do next  Smiley  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teriyaki Chicken
Tandoori Shrimp in Baby Pita
Summer Roll with Shrimp
Steamed Jade Bamboo and Fish
How to Make Shrimp Stir Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...