A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lip gloss with instructions  (Read 8819 times)
Tags for this thread: lip_gloss , petroleum_jelly , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

macaulkv
« on: March 13, 2005 07:04:33 PM »

my version of get crafty's peppermint lip gloss recipe:

top of container with homemade lable
pink pepperminty goodness! hard to see in pic but it's kind of glittery.
made with love label on back of container

here's the gloss recipe:

2 tbsps of vasaline or petroleum jelly
12 drops of peppermint (or any scent you prefer) essential oil
1 strawberry (or any flavor because this is for color) lip smackers*
old lip gloss or small containers**

scoop two tbsps of vasaline into a microwave-safe dish (i used an recycled babyfood jar) with a large slice from the lip smackers (be generous, the color comes out very light-you may want to use the whole stick). microwave in 1-minute segments, stirring frequently until smackers is completely mixed in. add drops of essential oil and mix again. scoop into washed, sterilized containers and let cool. consistancy will be glossy - this is not a lip balm. (this recipe was enough for two containers.)

* you could also use lipstick but i don't usually wear lipstick and didn't have one with a color i liked for gloss. besides, the lip smackers strawberry balm added some nice glitter to the gloss. of course, it did smell a bit like strawberry so i used more essential oil to cover it up. (i wanted a strong peppermint smell to wake me up but you may not)

**i got my lip gloss compacts from the container store which i can't seem to find on their website but i did find at the store in the travel section among the pill boxes. i think they were no more than $.75/each.

label recipe:

i measured the compact and created a template on my computer in illustrator. i designed the labels, printed and cut them out. using my sticker-making machine, i made them into stickers and stuck them into place. i added a protective coating of clear packagaing tape on top, using an exact-o knife to cut around the sticker, leaving a small margin around the label to seal out any moisture. you could easily skip the sticker-machine part and just use packaging tape. that way grease, dirty fingers, spilled perfume, etc. won't leave a smudge on your nice labels.

-kari
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkboutique
Brandee's Boutique

Brandee's Boutique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 07:35:53 PM »

Thanks for sharing - can't wait to give it a try!
Brandee  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are fabulous! Have a great day! - Brandee
sakura ashanti

If I was a rich girl, nah nah nanananana!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 07:51:32 PM »

May i ask what the point is if you go buy lipgloss to make some?? LOL, soz I sound mean don't I? LOL If you have a stub of lipstick, hack it off, nuk it in the mkrowave with vasaline and melt it. Then you mix it up and tip it into whatever then you have pwittyfull lipgloss!! However you ones look sooooooooo good! love the stkr thing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, you do look a bit like my brother Fred! Fred, darling  Fred, I can call you Fred can't I?
macaulkv
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005 08:36:31 PM »

only i didn't buy anything to make this project other than the containers because i had the lip smackers lip balm on hand. it was an old one that i never used. my version of this project transforms lip balm into lip gloss. totally different things, imo.
but yeah, you could use an old lipstick (as i noted in the instructions) or just leave it clear if you don't want any color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckers02
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005 06:41:52 PM »

Thanx, I read this, and went on a makeup stint, and just made about 5 things of lip gloss, just put it on and its great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divafusion

Mmmm, handspun and hand dyed yarn made by Me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005 12:13:06 PM »

very nice!! i will have to give that a try.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

randomcrazyjenna
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005 12:25:53 PM »

Or you could just buy some at the store
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005 12:21:22 AM »

Or you could just buy some at the store

You could...but that's no fun! And everyone has some half-used lipsmacker and petroleum around! Plus, many glosses have super thick consistancies or really large glitter (like craft glitter! It looks like your lips have been hit with dirt!) This way you can customize it just for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SPIDERWOMAN9005
I rock in my black tee

I love these boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005 12:56:00 PM »

YOU COULD ACTUALLY USE POWDERED DRINK MIX! I MADE MY OWN LIP GLOSS OUT OF VASELINE AND HOT COCOA MIX AND ITS AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

positive thinking and positive action leads to results - Satanic Bible
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005 01:05:06 PM »

Wouldn't food colouring work better for colouring than lip balm? Or would the sugar seperate the vaseline and peppermint essential oil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Second Day Hair
Curly Hair Updo
Dry Shampoo Use
How to Get a Loose Side Braid
How Style Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...