A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Button Down Bags - recon'd shirts to gift/lunch/tote bags (Image Massive-sorry)  (Read 11490 times)
Tags for this thread: gift_wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2009 08:21:16 AM »

Finally done!  I made gift bags for my homegirls out of thrift store button-front shirts.  Each one is unique, and they're all fully lined with vintage or other re-purposed fabric to give them strength for a long life of re-use.  They can be reused as re-gift wrap, lunch bag, everyday tote, market bag, etc.  It's going to be hard to part with them, but I saved a shirt to make one for myself ;P haHAR!

Thrifty: Each shirt cost about $2, the lining fabrics all came from my stash, as well as the buttons.
Note: There is a present in each one-- just to clarify that the bag is not the present. Smiley

These are in the order I made them-- they seem to have gotten more structured as I went on...

All my girls:

The Em: lined with my favorite old bedsheet; sleeve as handle, vintage button with elastic loop closure inside. Not my best work-- hard to line up and cut out because the shirt was sewn on the bias. Argh.

The Ell: lined with vintage curtains; sleeves as shoulder strap (broke my needle on that); "untucked" bottom with contrast lining showing.

The Enn: lined with vintage curtains; front placket of shirt became top edge of bag; sleeves were originally going to be side gusset and attach to handle, but I shifted them around to center; vintage button and elastic closure on sleeve cuffs.

The Kay: lined with new, retro pink fabric with kitties (so friggin cute); contrast ruffle; no fancy tricks.

Yay! Vote for me!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 09:27:30 AM by AllieAnalogue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.co m
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy. com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
Thrynity
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 08:45:19 AM »

The last two are my favorites! I've been going through old clothes to see what I can make purses out of and you've given me more ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 12:28:24 PM »

I am in love with the first one! I've tried turning old sleeves into handles (and into neck ties, that did not come out nice!) but mine just lost it's sleeve feel and looked plain. I think yours turned out great, you should be proud of it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjgrigsby
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 06:28:49 PM »

today I made my first drawstring bag, well actually first bag ever.  I can't wait to start using old shirts instead of my "good material" We have several second hand stores that I can't wait to go check out.  I loved the last bag by the way!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 07:35:22 PM »

Those are wonderful!  The last one is my favorite too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
Junior_Mint

Must eat all the Pocky!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009 08:09:59 PM »

The Enn and the Kay are my favorites.  Really well done and very chic. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kizzie421
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009 07:06:40 AM »

i love the kay bag. a new thrift store open near me i may have to pay it a visit!

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009 10:58:42 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments, friends!  I'm glad I've inspired some of you, and I can't say enough about recycling discarded clothing and other textiles, so rock on with that!
I love this concept, it's a really fun way to experiment and practice your skills.  As I was working, each shirt kind of showed me its own personality, and I thought of at least 5 different ways I could have pieced each one together.  Give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.co m
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy. com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
SixtiesDiva

Live, Love, Laugh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009 03:34:46 PM »

I love the one with pockets on the front!  We just did some closet cleaning and filled bags for charity.  I am going to go back through them and look for button down shirts!  Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009 07:56:44 PM »

The last two are my favorite, but these are all great.  I love the fact that you used the sleeve as the handle.  How awesome!  This definately rocks and so far you have my vote!!!!

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Travel Writer George Taber Explores Bacchus
Author Adriana Trigiani Talks About Very Valentine
Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love on Collaborating
Omar Tyree Talks About Being a Writer
Matthew Van Fleet Discusses the Concepts Behind His Books Cat and Dog
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...