A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,011
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift Ideas for a new mom (long backstory, simple question)  (Read 1664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misplacedhippie
« on: January 03, 2009 06:16:01 AM »

Ok, my best friend is due in April with a bouncing baby Boy.  I know there are going to be at least 3 showers, all of which I could be potentially invited to.  This (in my opinion) requires 3 gifts.  I cant do many of the personalized baby things due to this being the First Grandchild and EVERYONE having input for the name, she and her husband are being very tight lipped about the name till the ink is dry on the birth certificate.  I don't want to do any of the "typical" gifts that she will get a million of (onesies, chrochetted blankets, ect) and I want to make sure I give her something that she will use, and not just stick in a box.  OH! also I don't want it to be very "BOY" The father is a traditional color clinger, and when we knew it was "baby" and my friend and I came home with some thrift store dinosaur onesies, i thought he was going to die when i said a girl could wear them too! If its a real problem slap a velcro bow to her head! but it is a boy so dinosaurs are a go!
I am currently working on finishing up some receiving/burp blankets - Flannel 1 yardish squares, I just have to hem the edges as that my serger is out of town.  They have zebras, elephants, giraffes, and lizards on them... gender neutral right? Smiley That can be one shower gift, I however am pretty stumped for the other two.  Oh and if it turns out I only get invited to one shower I am going to put it all together and blow everyone elses gifts out of the water, what else are best friends for Cheesy

Ideas: I just dont know if mothers use them. 
portable changing station, it folds up to about the size of a lap top, has a pocket for accessories, and is plasticy on one side so you dont have to lay your darling, or his blanket, down on the changing station in public restrooms. 
the shopping cart child seat cozy.  keeps your toddler from chewing on the dirty shopping cart (i have seen these in the store, with people using them) by covering it with fabric.
Pee Pee Tee Pees, little absorbable washable cones to put over his "fountain" during diaper changes (how many).
Baby towels with head cover, the thin towels with the triangle pocket in the corner, to wrap your baby in after bathing (how many of these would be good).

What was the best thing you received (or have known a mother to receive) for the baby?  Resuseable on little siblings is a plus. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Helleyclaire
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 01:17:52 PM »

i loved the hooded towel, we have about 4/5 for our daughter. was very handy, meant she was covered head to toe and not get cold.

taggie blankets and toys that attach to a pram/car seat so they dont get lost. my little girl loves playing with her toys on her pram and if she drops them i know they are still going to be there, she has animals, some with squeaks in them some with a jingle in them. also uni sex so if she gets a little brother then they are transferable.

hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cosmo_mouse

Dexter - My best creation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 03:04:10 PM »

I second the taggies idea. They're really fun to make and are super cute. My little one loves his.

Some of the things I made before I had my little one (I didn't receive any handmade gifts... well apart from the great swap items)

• feeding reminder bracelet (easy to swap between wrists to remind which side to feed from next if breast feeding)
  • A necklace to wear whilst feeding baby to give them something else to play with instead of your hair!
  • Little baby booties - I loved this pattern
  • Pregnancy/ new baby scrapbook - You could make the basis of one for mum to be to fill in when she has time

Have you had a look through this thread started by eternallyeve? there are some great ideas in there and you might want to have a look through the Pregnant and Newborn swap galleries (1, 2 and 3)

Hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juaniece
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 09:44:45 PM »

I can appreciate your dilemma with gifts and several showers!  My DIL is due this May and seems real excited about the hooded towels...so I made a couple:  (My apologies...don't know how to attach my posting! Do you mind if I include the pics?  I hope I'm not doing something wrong here by posting these! )

I second/third! the idea of a taggie blanket!  My nephew's 8month old loves hers!  I made one for my DIL as well (although I have to make another one, because this one is not in "her colors" !)

I also second/third the idea of a shopping cart cover...my DIL is excited that I am making her one as well!  I have a pre-quilted fabric which should be fairly easy.

She was also real excited to hear that I will be crafting her a changing pad (station type item!) with a pouch attached for diapers and wipees. 

I also made a crib toy pocket/organizer, since her nursery bedding set did not have this item as an option.

I also made several "boppy" pillow covers and several covers for her "contoured changing pad" (foam) which sits on top of her diaper changing dresser.

Good luck on your endeavors!  Please let us know what you end up doing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juaniece
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009 09:59:57 PM »

These are some other items I understand are well received:

Bath apron (as seen on the Martha Stewart site:  http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.0e0eb51a2e6b5ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=b21476ecfd22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextrefresh=1 

Organizer for the seat back of the car, like the Trios Tote.

Blanket which protects and warms child's feet/legs.  I don't have the link, but have the pdf file from JoyBucket designs. PM me if you want.  My DIL is real excited about this one too!

Taggie Block (there is a fabulous tute on Crafster for a taggie block!   ..hope this works:   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51093.0   

Sorry for all the gibberish.... I have learned a lot about baby items lately!
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misplacedhippie
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009 07:57:14 AM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.  It makes me feel like I am on the right track with all this baby stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Gwydion
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009 07:33:07 AM »

Binky clips... abt 6-inch lengths of fabric or ribbon with a loop at one end and a clip at the other, so you can half-hitch it onto the binky or teething ring and secure the other end to the baby's clothes.  Indispensible for babies who like to throw thing, and dead easy to make.

A pouch sling, if your friend is at all interested.  Mine was a serious lifesaver during Sprocket's first few months, because I could haul him around with me and actually sort of get some housework done.  This link explains the process.  http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/tubesling.html
Fleece works OK for small babies, but is very stretchy.  Otherwise, you should use a heavier fabric (twill, denim, etc.).  Calico isn't strong enough on its own but could be used as a lining or contrast.

Bibs... you can never have too many bibs.  Cute is OK, but frankly I prefer plain ultra-absorbent bibs in either plain white or a dark color (bananas and peas stain like crazy).  And the bigger the better.  Snap bibs are preferable to velcro bibs, as they won't get caught on stuff in the wash and it's MUCH harder for the child to rip them off. Terry toweling is great, especially if you can back it with oilcloth or PUL to prevent seepthru to the kid's shirt. 

If you want to do clothing, pants and overalls take the longest to grow out of, particularly if you add contrast cuffs so they can be rolled down as the kid grows. 

ETA:  Some sort of bucket or caddy would be good if she plans to breastfeed-- because she will be spending about 30 hours a week doing that-- so she can have burp cloth and book and remote and cell phone and a water bottle and a snack, etc. in one easy, portable unit.  Nothing sucks more than sitting down to nurse and realizing that you're going to have to get back up immediately. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009 07:43:27 AM by Gwydion » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009 02:46:59 PM »

bibs are great - especially when they're unique and handmade!
taggie blankets - my nephew had one that could attach to the carseat or stroller with a little plastic clip
socks and little bags to wash them in - you wouldn't believe how many socks a kid goes through!
a smallish diaper bag or one that only holds a couple diapers and wipes for quick runs to the store
(I also have a small bag that I keep in the trunk with achange of clothes and other essentials in it just in case)
a sling - these rock!
If possible help set up and clean up at a shower or two, set up especially gets overlooked.
small soft toys in contrast colors, like balls or blocks
If you want to you can always use baby's last name to personalize something - I did that to a long sleeve raglan onesie for my newest nephew.
If you have a decent camera and skills, offer to take some pregnancy pictures of her, later she'll be glad to have them. Then offer to take baby's upon arrival.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009 12:03:02 PM »

I too am looking for ideas to make for gifts and for my new baby.  (just found out tuesday I'm expecting also)  In the past I have made diaper bags, burp cloths, flannel receiving blankets, pyramid bag meant to hold pacies, and keepsake hankie bonnets, oh yeah and taggies.  A tip from a mom...if you make hooded bath towels (yeah, these are great but...) make sure they are BIG!!!  The ones you buy at the store are little.  Once you pass the two months mark, they're too small. 

I think the cart cover is great, just make sure it's easy to carry and clean.  Another idea is the carseat cover, although if it's a spring/summer baby the mom may never use it.  A baby sling is good for the right kind of mom.  I must not be shape cause it killed my back to use the sling.  I would sooner use the backpack kind that distributes the weight evenly on both shoulders. 

My favorite thing to make, although it's time consuming, is a diaper bag that doesn't look like a diaper bag.  You can make all kinds of things to go with it or simply fill it with diapers and wipes for the new mom.  I found a great pattern by AB that is a clutch wallet.  It will hold everything that I Consider to be essential and will easily slip into the diaper bag I will be making.  I won't have to carry around a purse as well.  Sorry if I sounded too bossy.  Just some tips I've picked up along the way.  Oh yeah, I second the snap closure bibs instead of velcro!!!  They never stay closed in the wash, and my other things always end up with picks on them. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
What Blower Brush is Best for Your Camera
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...