A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I calculate circles?  (Read 659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2009 07:43:12 PM »

I've been really into dot and circle quilts lately. I've been able to master several "patterns" from books (both quarter and half patterns), but now I want to graduate to creating my own designs. I have a wonderful design all laid out. I think the easiest way would to piece half circles and then sew them together.

However, I'm stuck...how to I figure out the correct diameter of my circles to cut, how do I make sure they fit into the outer curve piece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pokeedog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 05:41:43 PM »

Ok, I figured this out. Kinda. I still have no idea on how to calculate circles on the traditional machine piecing method.

But, I ran across this awesome technique! http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cda/article_print/0,1983,HGTV_32657_4302936_ARTICLE-PRINT-SXS-SIMPLE,00.html!

I'm trying it tonight to see how it goes, I'm very excited, since this technique opens up my quilting to a whole nother level.

There's also a video on the site as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 05:19:54 AM »

I wish I knew how to calculate for circles, too.  If you ever find out, make sure to post the ratio.

Thanks for posting that link!  I have the book Pieced Curves So Simple, but I like this little tutorial.  Explain this:  what's up with that THIRD hand in the last photo?  Ha! Ha!  I thought that was kind of funny!

Also, another good cheater method for making cicules is Easy Bias Covered Curves by Wendy Hill.

Make sure to post your circle block when you're finished with it.  I want to know how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 01:03:57 PM »

I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but I'll give it a shot...

If you're starting with the outer curve (the green fabric on the hgtv link), you should be able to measure what the diameter of the circle that makes up the hole should be, making sure you measure in 1/4 inch from each edge (or whatever your seam allowance is). So if the "hole" is 3 1/2 inches across, you'll want to add a seam allowance on each side. It looks like they used 1/2 inch, so the diameter of the finished circle is 3 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 4 1/2 inches.

The inner circle (the white fabric with the multicoloured hearts) would need to have the same diameter, plus seam allowances. So you'd start with 4 1/2 inch diameter circle, and add an extra 1/2 inch all the way around for seam allowances. You'd end up cutting out a circle with diameter 4 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 5 1/2 inches.

When you come to sew the two pieces together, your seam will be  in 1/2 inch from the edge of the fabric forming the inner circle, and out 1/2 inch from the edge of the fabric forming the outer curve.

I hope that makes some sense.. maybe a little?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pokeedog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 07:29:17 AM »

Thanks, but the HGTV link totally eliminates the need to calculate traditional machine pieced circles. That's why it's so incredibly awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make A Watermark For Your Videos
How To Make Your Videos HD Using Windows Movie Maker
How To Change Your Hair Color Using Photoshop
How to Render YouTube Videos in HD - Camtasia Studio
How to Render YouTube Videos in HD - Sony Vegas Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...