A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Machine Needle Organization  (Read 2910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mego
« on: January 02, 2009 06:05:12 PM »

I just wanted to know, how do you organize your machine needles?  Do you keep them in a drawer somewhere or do you have an organizer for them?  

I want to collect everyone's ideas before I make something for my mom and myself.  We both take our machines to different places, so keeping our needles in a drawer isn't an option.  We have those rolling sewing machine totes, but I'd like to have something else for the needles that I can put into the tote.

Any links or pictures much appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010 08:39:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing, cooking, traveling, and everything blog:
http://www.whatmegmakes.com

My stores:
http://megwest.etsy.com
http://mwest.mymarkstore.com
de_sjiem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 08:34:18 AM »

I would suggest either buying or making something like a small pencil case to keep your machine needles in (as well as a few other small accessories for your machine while you are on the go)  That way everything would be in one area and it would be easier to find in your tote Smiley  Mine are kept in a small plastic organizer that has little sections for different things.. something like that would work too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009 06:48:11 AM »

I keep mine in my sewing machine! The little bit I have to take off to access my bobbin has a drawer, so I keep my needles in there.  They're very unorganized in there though!  If they're not in the original packaging, they're just floating around the bottom.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BT
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 12:13:44 PM »

I keep mine in a Jammers plastic storage case for Hotwheels and Matchbox cars. The case is made by Plano, and I found mine at Wal-Mart several years ago, but they must be readily available somewhere. There is a picture at http://www.storables.com/Shop/Kids/Hobby-and-Craft/?launch_pg=itemPage&launch_sel=1000951&launch_pg_sp=true&title=Jammers+Kids+Car+Garage+Case  The case holds 48 cars (24 on each side) in gridded boxes.

The Schmetz cases fit inside the boxes perfectly. I have the columns marked with the types of needles across the top boxes (Universal, Sharp, Embroidery, Metallic, etc), and I store them by size under each category (70s, 80s, 90s, etc). This way I can see immediate whether I'm running low on a particular type and size of needle.

Since the cases is two-sided, I can also keep spools of thread on the other side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009 07:31:16 PM »

You know I just read about needle books yesterday. I came across the pattern in two different sewing books! Apparently it's a little book (easy to make yourself) with "pages" made of felt that you can attach your needles to like pins. It's handy if you label each page like with tags or embroidery or stamps that say "denim" or "size 14 universal" to keep them organized. Obviously not as professional as a case but it's an easy handmade project, and I bet it would make a good gift for a fellow sewer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
craftygal76
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 06:22:04 PM »

go to your local sporting goods store & get a small tackle box..thats what i did..i went to where i work @..& i love it!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wife to Cary & mom to 5 awesome kids!
zOmbiE_cUpcAkeS
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009 07:49:28 AM »

I know this is an older thread but I was looking for a place to put needles too and found a tute on a felt needle book. Thought I'd share..

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/10227/how-to-stitch-up-a-felt-needle-book
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009 11:27:33 AM »

I have tons of needles of all sorts, so I ended making a felt needle book and keep them all there.  I have some sections for machine needles, some for tapestry needles, some for sewing needles and on the inside of the covers I stuck my very fine crochet hook that I use to repair snags in knits and the elastic guiding tool.  Specialty needles are together in one page, named, and on the tapestry needles pages I wrote the number of each group next to it.  It's one of my favourite notions.  If I could keep the spools the same way, I would!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
zOmbiE_cUpcAkeS
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009 07:24:27 PM »

I'm pretty excited about making it actually. I already have it figured out how I'm going to do it. I got so many projects I want to do... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009 12:52:04 PM »

I just bought one of these:

I didn't pay full price for it; it was 75% off.

I used to keep my machine needles in a pencil case, but whenever there was a sale on them, I could never remember what needles I needed to buy.  This case folds in thirds and the first two thirds have clear sleeves where the plastic needle cases fit exactly in.  The bottom third has holes for needles that have been used, and it's labeled so you know exactly what needle is in each hole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Portfolio
How to Reconstruct Your Jeans
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 2
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 4
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...