A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweat Shoppe Swap 17 (swap closed)  (Read 14732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009 07:46:03 PM »

Thanks!  I'm glad you like them!  Smiley

A wool batt is basically a large flat piece of carded wool.  Carding aligns the fibers all in one direction for spinning.  I rolled them up from their flat form to get them all in the shot.  You can do fiber crafts with wool batts like spinning yarn or for felting. 

For spinning, you take the batt and turn it into roving by either pulling off strips or by stripping it in such a way that you get one very long piece out of it.  Here's a video that explains how to do the second method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQqnj2VJdb4

And a tutorial for learning how to spin:
http://www.spindleandwheel.com/content/view/12/73/

Hope that helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009 07:49:30 PM »

The pendants are pretty!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultconsumer
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009 02:05:13 AM »

I think I might join this round.  I have done this a few times and  I was wondering when did DC numbers start being required? 

Aren't they required for all US swaps? I can't remember now lol

Yes, they are required for all US swaps except I think paper swaps if the package is too thin.
When I'm sending something that would be too think to qualify for DCN, I put a packing peanut in the envelope so it will be unevenly thick.  I actually had someone at the post office tell me to make the envelope thicker.  It doesn't add any extra weight to your envelope, but you get the benefit of DCN.  Besides, it's a good way to reuse something that's difficult to recycle.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debra
I would be interested in doing personal swaps.
ISO:  skulls, skeletons, pirate stuff.
IHA or can make:  Waldorf doll making supplies, diaper making supplies, altoid tins, stuffies like ugly dolls, wool roving/needle felting

I have a wist, I have a wist!! 
www.wists.com/ultconsumer
psoupdesigns
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009 08:38:12 AM »

that's a great idea!

klum i love your pendants  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaymadben
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009 02:28:18 PM »

I have begun to make 5 sets of 4 fabric quilted coasters following this tute: http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html I stayed up til 4 am last night cutting out squares for the tops and then 3 hours today cutting out the bottoms, insides, fusible web, ironing, getting them all placed right and pinning them all together. Now all I have to do is sew around the edge, clip corners and flip right side out and I'll be done. They took alot longer than I thought, simply because I did not think about the fact that I was making 4 coasters per set, so in reality that's 20 coasters. which means 120 squares to cut out and 20 fusible web squares to cut out, plus ironing in half 80 of the squares, then getting them all to match up perfectly. I was considering trying to make another set of 5 so I can swap with 10 people but not sure if 10 people would be interested. Will try to get pics uploaded tonight. Is anyone at all interested in these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009 02:30:42 PM »

Kaymadben-  I just saw this tute yesterday and was thinking of making some for myself.  So I would def. like a set.  I may have to change my offering to 10 since there are so many things I love this round...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
kaymadben
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009 04:08:31 PM »

quick question. If I'm doing 10 items instead of 5 do I have to make all 10 the same? I just finished 5 sets of coasters and ugh, do not feel like making 5 more. I was thinking of soaps. I have little and big heart shaped molds so would be great for V-day and I could make some sets. I have love spell scent from Victoria Secret and would make them red for V-day instead of the usual purple.

So can I make coasters and soaps? If I can only make 1 or the other which would you all prefer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psoupdesigns
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009 04:27:55 PM »

you can make 2 different sets of 5, they don't have to be the same.

i like your coasters and the soap sounds cute. i might have to up my offering to 10 as well...hmm, what to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaymadben
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009 04:33:53 PM »

When do people's names who signed up go on the front page? I know I'm just full of questions for this swap but I'm super interested. How many people usually join? Okay, I'm off (for the third time) to take pics of my coasters real quick. Hopefully I won't get side-tracked again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaymadben
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009 05:05:50 PM »

My offering, criss cross coasters, set of 4:

The red and brown coaster set - 1 set available

The pink and blue floral coaster set - 3 sets available

The deanna coaster set - 1 set available

ETA: They look a little wonky in the pic but that's just because they were stacked in 4's and there's a shadow. But they are all square without fonky corners.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 05:07:20 PM by kaymadben » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Menus and Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Workspace
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Interfaces
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Preferences
How to Use the Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...