A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Having Issues with an 8" Granny...  (Read 307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RazorBladeSmile
effin' classy.

O.O me and the boy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 02, 2009 08:41:12 AM »

Warning: these questions are ignorant... Roll Eyes

Problem number one...How do you measure a granny square? I followed an 8 inch pattern and came out with the following:

5 1/2 inches... Is this how you measure them? (please don't mind the un-weaved ends, this is a practice square  Grin)

Another issue, when you sl st to join the row,  and chain up to make your first stitch on the new row, how do you keep from getting ugly gaps like so...

Do I turn on each row to keep from ugly gaps?

I have done about four different 8" square patterns and they all come out at 5 1/2"... I am using the recommended yarn weight and needle size for each practice run, but they are all coming out way below 8"... So either the patterns gauge is not right or I am missing a whole lot of something!

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally made a wist... It's pretty dweeby! http://www.wists.com/p1nkbunn13

Working on my crafty blog! <3
http://randomtwinkles.blogspot.com
The Donna
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009 11:04:37 AM »

I think the size issue has something to do with how tightly you crochet. Obviously the person who wrote the pattern crochets looser than you do.  Smiley

To solve the "problem," you can either go up a size or two with your hook, or you can add extra rows around the perimeter until it reaches 8". You are measuring correctly - the square should be 8" both horizontally and vertically when you're finished.

As for the other problem, if the pattern doesn't say to turn, then these gaps are unavoidable. I usually try to steer clear of patterns that put them in obvious places. Most patterns try to put them in a corner so that it's not so obvious.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do it big, do it right, and do it with style. Fred Astaire
RazorBladeSmile
effin' classy.

O.O me and the boy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009 12:02:37 PM »

I think the size issue has something to do with how tightly you crochet. Obviously the person who wrote the pattern crochets looser than you do.  Smiley

To solve the "problem," you can either go up a size or two with your hook, or you can add extra rows around the perimeter until it reaches 8". You are measuring correctly - the square should be 8" both horizontally and vertically when you're finished.

As for the other problem, if the pattern doesn't say to turn, then these gaps are unavoidable. I usually try to steer clear of patterns that put them in obvious places. Most patterns try to put them in a corner so that it's not so obvious.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I think I will increase a few sizes and experiment with tightning the slip stitch  so they will be less noticeable. I am thinking that if I up the needle it should fix my problem...  I am glad I am measuring right, I thought I was crazy  Cheesy. Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally made a wist... It's pretty dweeby! http://www.wists.com/p1nkbunn13

Working on my crafty blog! <3
http://randomtwinkles.blogspot.com
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 03:32:18 PM »

Hey here's my suggestion for fixing those funny chain ups... when you slip you can do it a little tight, then when you chain, make your first two (or one) tight and the last one normal. Lastly, straighten up the chain so it stands at attention, right on top of that slip stitch. I also like the idea of working with your own tension, so keep going on the pattern and just add a couple more rows on your square. Looks like you might need two more. Just follow your pattner for turning your corners and increasing. Smiley

Oh, and also, make sure you are not adding an extra stitch (dc) after you chain up, that is really easy to do and can make your squares wonky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
March of The Crab Cakes
Stuffed Flank Steak
Holiday Rolls
How to Make Herb Gravy
Butterflied Turkey Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...