A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - 2nd January, 2009  (Read 2122 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikolelily
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009 02:53:55 PM »

THanks Jane doe.  your handpainted merinos are so pretty.

nikolelily : all your singles are so nice. I have just started plying but I find that I just like singles the most.  Smiley
thank you  so much! i am really working on just getting the uniformity down until i begin trying plying (as you saw in the little pic of the skeinletts, my one try at plying was a disaster! i cant wait to try out all the techniques you great spinners do, the supercoils and corespinning plying etc! i appreciate your compliment, no one i know seems to give arip, wish i could convince em spinning is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009 05:41:07 PM »

The thing that is really great about plying, especially newbie yarns, is that it seems to even out the yarn.  Not always, you'll still have thin spots that meet up with thin spots.  Regardless, ALL yarn is beautiful!!

I finally got some pics of some of my past week's yarns, but realized I left the cable at work.  On Monday I should post some of my yarns/projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Cya
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009 06:31:56 PM »

Gorgeous yarn this week (as usual)!

Some merino + soysilk I blended:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

britnlind

It's done. I just need to start.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009 06:56:49 PM »

The thing that is really great about plying, especially newbie yarns, is that it seems to even out the yarn.  Not always, you'll still have thin spots that meet up with thin spots.  Regardless, ALL yarn is beautiful!!

The coolest thing about plying as a newbie is that there is no guessing. Once the yarn evens out it looks like, well, yarn. Twist it the wrong way and its just crazy string  Smiley   Newbies totally luck out because as you said all yarn is beautiful. What other hobbies are as forgiving?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009 08:19:39 PM »

I barely made it, but it's still Friday!

From left to right: 1. Core-spun from a blended batt of wool, hemp, angelina, recycled silk, bamboo, soy silk, some mystery fiber, and embellished with faux pearls, faux crystals, and shell fragments (my favorite of the three) 2. Wool & nylon blend coated in 4 neon-colored threads 3. Self-stripe single spun from random bits of fiber I received in a Ravelry swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
myklia
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009 08:43:44 PM »

Sooo much beautiful yarn (as usual, I'm probably a broken record, but like a couple people have said, all yarn is beautiful Cheesy).  I love Jane Doe's rainbow merino.  I also love ignorantamoeba's pictures from roving to yarn.

All I have to show off this week is 4 oz of alpaca roving that my Aunt sent me for Christmas:

You are not seeing all 4 oz in the picture.

I have ordered a couple more drop spindles on etsy that I wish would ship already (I ordered about a week ago).  The only thing I can think of is maybe the owner is away on holiday.  The one pictured looks like it will be lightweight so I can do some thinner yarn.  *crosses fingers*

Hopefully in two or three weeks I'll have some yarn to show off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spinnerchris
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009 11:11:12 PM »

Happy New Year! And Happy Rock Day! (In my spinning guild they refer to the first spinning of the new year as Rock Day- something about "rock" being the German word for "to spin")

Wow, you guys who produce many skeins in a week amaze me. Here is one I have had done for a while, but only recenty got a photo. It is natural jacob wool from my own sheep (white and black carded together) with turquoise angelina.

Jacob's Night Out

I also did my first dye day. A friend came over and she walked me through the steps of chemical dyes. I think it was jacquard. We did the darker rose and there was still dye in the pot, so I added some more white shetland and got the lighter color.

Chris
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009 06:59:24 AM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph with a Point and Shoot Camera
How to use Light to Create Dynamic Images
How to Shoot marketing portraits
How to Photograph a Very Young Baby
How to Photograph a Nine Month Old Baby
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...