A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother's day present - purse and organizer - better pics  (Read 1210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kriminie
« on: May 12, 2009 12:35:19 PM »

Made this placemat purse and organizer for my mom for mother's day. Found everything at Goodwill.. tho.. I think my Goodwill is expensive here.. anyone else pay 5 for shirts 7 for dresses and shoes..?? Anyways, The placemat was cheep, 79 cents. The fabric for the organizer was a table runner type thing that just said "make me an organizer" the first time I saw it.. Who was I to argue? I mean, its weird enough that its talking to me, let alone arguing with it..  Grin Stay with me till the end, I got a question for you purse geniuses

picture of the organizer fabric, only the pretty side, though you can sort of see on the edging the other fabric, no worries, you will see more of it later Cheesy

closer picture of the fabric

finished organizer

[
close up of the organizer. I used a tutorial that I found a link to here on craftster. Super easy, and my mom loved it Cheesy

purse and organizer

purse, OK so I cheated a little bit and got the handles and ribbon at Hobby Lobby... ssshhhh...

So this is my question for you experienced purse people out there, this is how I connected the handles. It seems to hold OK, and the threading doesn't show very much from the outside, but ... well.. I'm OCD and it bothers me.. its a bit crooked, and two lines like that doesn't seem very attractive... though, like I said, you can't really see it.. How would you guys attach it? Hand sewing it to the lining occurred to me, but I was worried it would rip, and probably distort the bag while being carried... Anyways, gimme some advice, I'd rather do it right than be right.... Grin Grin Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 12:14:43 PM by kriminie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know what I want to smell like when the giant alien bunnies come calling

MY ETSY - currently under construction - exhale
MY BLOG - ummm.. under construction?? - kriminie
queenxxxdee
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009 04:43:44 PM »

Cute purse!  To answer your question, with that type of handle, you usually put grommets into the purse, then thread the U bar through. 

http://www.littlepackrats.com.php5-2.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/creative/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/marlies_laptop.jpg

kinda like that (only that has o-rings)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 07:54:21 AM by kittykill - Reason: Image hotlinked. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 08:50:04 AM »

Cute purse!!

For the handles I would recommend doing one of those reinforced X-squares... like sew a square with an X in the center leading to each corner, if that makes sense. It's how I do all of my purse handles for extra strength. Also, I see that you just kinda cut the ends off. It'll give you a cleaner look (for the OCD... lol, I'm the same way) if you fold the ends to the inside of the ribbon instead.

ETA - I think my Goodwill is kinda expensive too. But it saves me from schlepping all over town to garage sales so it's worth it... lol.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 08:54:13 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hong String Project 2
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Body World Exhibition
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Creating the Vica Illusion Sculpture on the Makerbot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...