A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two skirts + one felt flower shirt - pic heavy + tutorial  (Read 4781 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , tutorial , mario  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2005 04:38:53 PM »

Ok so here are my ventures into craftiness - clothing edition

I made most of them a while back.  

This is from a pattern.  I can tell you which one if you want.  Just an A-line skirt with a drawsting at the top.  It's lined in plain white.  (I made a matching purse but it's going in the purse section)

Front:

Back:
currently unavailable - 2/28/07

Hem:

This was a big tee.  I didn't use a pattern just winged it.  The flares on the edge are the tops of the sleeves and the back comes down farther than the front.  

Front:
currently unavailable - 2/28/07

Back:

I never wore this tank much but somehow it got a stain so I put a little felt flower on it and now I want to wear it all the time  Cheesy  It took maybe 5 min.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010 07:33:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty_Girl25
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 06:33:53 PM »

Those are all really cute. I especially like the super mario skirt! Very cute!! Was it a sheet made from a sheet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty_Girl25
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 06:36:37 PM »

oops I meant a SKIRT made from a sheet!   Tongue duh Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~hayles~
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005 07:46:35 PM »

both of the skirts are uber cool and that flower is a very good idea to cover a stain!! can u post a tut for the supermario skirt?? i have charlie brown sheets that i want to make a skirt out of! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*dont trust anyone, you will only get hurt. trust m. i know*
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005 08:34:14 PM »

Yes! It was from a sheet (as was the purse I made)  and I still have TONS left.. I could probly make another skirt and purse actually!

As for a tut... I can try to make one tomorrow or so ... It was actually just a Simplicity pattern (7229?)  I think the only thing I added was lining.. but I'll try to relive it and write it down for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueEyedMary
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005 09:42:07 AM »

Love the mario skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God bless the daylight, the sugary smell of springtime, remembering when you were mine in a still suburban town...
AshGav
Dance like no ones watching

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005 10:58:13 AM »

very cute! how did you do the tshirt one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Straight NOT Narrow
Rainbows make me happy
butterfly192005
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005 10:58:54 AM »

Aww!...Mario Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005 04:19:57 PM »

OK so here are my awful attempts at tutorials  Wink

Pardon my lack of Paint skills.

Mario Skirt

Keep in mind that this is also a Butterick pattern

You'll need two of #1 and 4 of #2 (if you want lining, if not just two)

The #1s should be half of your waist size plus seam allowances all around.  They should also be twice as tall as you want the top part to be since you are folding them over.  

Choose the #1 that you want to be in the front and make two buttonholes just off of the center and just underneath your fold.  (like in the second pic)

Lay both of the #1s down flat with the outsides touching and sew straight down the left and right sides.

Then fold it so that each band is now in half.  

Cut two #2s out of your outer fabric and two from your lining.   Lay them all down together in the right order (lining, outer, outer, lining) and then sew up the sides.  

You should now have one #1 and one #2.  Just sew #1 to #2 and then hem the bottom.  Then you can run your drawstring through #1.

I hope that makes sense!!!  

Here's the Tweekend skirt.

Cut out two #1s (front and back) two #2s (front and back and remember if you want the back to hang farther you gotta cut it that way  Wink) and the #3s. (For the #2s I just cut down to the bottom of the shirt and used the shirt hem as hem at the bottom of the shirt, it worked out really well that way so you should do that if you can)

The #1s should be half of your waist size plus seam allowances all around.  They should also be twice as tall as you want the top part to be since you are folding them over.  

Fold the front #1 in half and sew it to the front #2.  Do the same for the back.  

Pin the front and back together and when you come to the bottom of each side put in one of the #3s so that the hems are aligned.  

I started sewing from the bottom and just picked one side of the #3 to start on, sewed up to the top of the skirt and came back to sew the other side of the #3.  Do that for both sides and you're done!

Tell me if I made a mess of this and I'll try to clarify.  I'm horrible at explaining things.

btw since my pics are being resized here are the original links so maybe you can read them better. Sorry guys.

Mario Skirt

Tweekend  Skirt
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010 09:33:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gary_The_Snail
Peter-Pan-esque

You is on dat building!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005 05:40:37 PM »

Thank you so much for these tutorials!!! trying the first skirt tomorrow for sure!!! Thank goodness for March break! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sewing machine and a lab coat. The best of both worlds.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...