A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirate hats!!(with feathers and trims)(with something of a tut)  (Read 2540 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

befffff
Nice to see you, To see you nice!

so uncool it's cool

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2009 03:34:43 PM »

this is the first of 3 tricorn hats im making(among other things, including reconstructing a parachute from bits of its former self.im in the play but am the only cast member with good sewing skills so im helping out) for an upcoming show

the show is about pirates, love, war and looking for loved ones.

the first hat belongs to mary glamm, the captain of the sloop john b. the john b is an all female ship(because all the man ran away to the gold rush). this has annoyed the crew and made them hate men.

mary glamm is a little bit rock and roll so i thought neon and sparkles would suit her best  Grin
so, by following my simple steps you could end up with something like this.....

to start with, i got a black hat with a big floppy brim(well i got three.they were all 1 in the h&m the-economys-gone-to-poo sale)

then i removed the silly ribbon tie thingy that was of no use to me(but kept it in stash incase it comes in useful for something else!)

next, i pinned up the brim three times and experimented till i got the perfect tricorn shape

(one side pinned)

(3 sides pinned.excuse the face)

as you can see in the last pic, it isnt quite tricorn-y enough, so using black thread, pull the ends in a bit

next, choose suitable feathers(neon for mary glamm) and arrange them as you wish.you may want to add some stitches for security

the hats i got had a scalloped kinda edge and tiny holes where it went outwards. i made these holes bigger with a knitting needle and threaded some shiny red cord through

it would have been fine like this, but i spotted some sparkly red ribbon(giftwrap stuff like the cord) and knew it just had to be on that hat!!

and there you have it!!
i know there are some visable stitches etc but they are needed for the shape and wont show up on stage.

thanks for looking!!!

comments earn you kudos Smiley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009 03:20:30 AM by befffff » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she'll need a full body cast...
a big wooden one."

(evil quip 2.0)
piaochong
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 05:49:53 PM »

hmmm this is a very thrifty idea. my local hat shop sells their tricorns for 150 dollars (Australian!!) if i could find a hat like the one you found... hmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009 04:47:08 PM »

couldn't you just make a hat like that instead of hoping to randomly come across one? *I never let myself get my hopes up, so I'm never dissapointed*
That's what I'm gonna do... until I work up the courage to make one out of leather!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

befffff
Nice to see you, To see you nice!

so uncool it's cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 03:20:01 AM »

couldn't you just make a hat like that instead of hoping to randomly come across one? *I never let myself get my hopes up, so I'm never dissapointed*
That's what I'm gonna do... until I work up the courage to make one out of leather!

i did have plans and measurements and a pattern etc. drawn out to make these hats with felt myself but it was a stroke of luck when i found these on sale for 1 at h&m so i went for it.

hats like this would be easy enough to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she'll need a full body cast...
a big wooden one."

(evil quip 2.0)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overheard Backstage: The Best Beauty Tips From NYFW
Floating Picture Frame - Do It, Gurl
Cord Bracelet - Do It, Gurl
Ombre Manicure Nail Art - Do It, Gurl
BEAUTY BUZZ: Badgley Mischka Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...