A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to wrap something you haven't even got  (Read 4377 times)
Tags for this thread: gift_wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thanate
wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2009 07:59:39 AM »

My family has been using cloth bags to wrap gifts in since the Christmas that I was a year old and couldn't quite work out what to do with wrapping paper, so reusable wrappings are nothing new to me.  All the present bags live in a drawer in my mother's dresser, and anytime there's a gift giving occasion in the family, everyone sorts through and picks out something the right size to hold whatever gift they're wrapping.  Our Christmas tree ends up looking rather like this:

Of course, sometimes people have fun with it (I will always remember the year that my father made a box into a dragon with an old sock, a marker, plastic popcorn, and a cardboard roll neck) and sometimes we have strings that lead off to other parts of the house (like the freezer in the garage, the year my mother got an entire Baskin Robbins tub of her favorite ice cream) and I have a bad habit of doing things like wrapping handmade socks separately...

This year, the challenge for me was that I'd promised my brother a digital download of Spore, which was packaging free and economically responsible but left me with nothing to wrap.  So I pulled out a few colors of yarn I'd just gotten in the little odd yarn ball swap, and made an electron:

I printed up a tag (on the back of a sheet of scrap paper, where it came out beautifully on the only part of the page that was blank on both sides) with a graphic from the gift tag downloads from Girl Genius, a comic both my brother and I enjoy.  Then I wrote up the other side of the tag, and played around with fonts to give it a similarly steampunky feel.  (because, I mean, what other kind of labeling would you put on an electron, really?)

Here's a close-up of the label side (which sadly lost resolution when I copied it out of the PDF.)

And then I pulled out the one loop I hadn't cut on the electron, looped it through the hole I punched in the tag, and tucked the end back in with a yarn needle. 

Here it is on the tree, hiding out from the cat and waiting for Christmas morning. 

Of course, the ironic thing about all this is that when I went to do the download, it turns out that they still don't have digital downloads in Mac format, so I had to buy him the box edition after all.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 08:25:22 AM »

Wow, I love this! Very cute & clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.com
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy.com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 09:11:11 PM »

I love the roundabout way you said "IOU one Spore"   Cheesy

It's such a cute idea, and a neat way to save paper!  Smart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 09:46:57 PM »

omg i just had to comment on the fact that you have the same couches as my mom!  they are in our "living room" which ironically is not lived in very much, but we have had christmases on those couches since before i can remember!

but anyway, your idea was very cute!  i love the idea and the execution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
chocolatebutton
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009 06:26:56 AM »

i love the idea of using the fabric bags to wrap presents, mustve saved a hell of a lot of paper over the years!
i didnt quite understand the electron bit, but when i read it again i was like awwww Smiley very sweet and clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixineohp
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 04:15:21 PM »

I really like this idea! It came off very cute and creative! Good work.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Fringe Trend
How to Rock the Grunge Gone Glam Trend
Two Ways to Style a Colored Fur Jacket
Is There Fashion in Baseball?
Make Your Own Tank Top
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...