A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
860 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how much yarn will i need?  (Read 1894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2009 02:09:37 PM »

I want to make a scarf out of some silk roving (2 oz)  (which I intend on spinning quite thinly)  I plan on making an extremly simply loom, since I can't rightfully buy a loom yet as I just invested in a spinning wheel .  Anyway.  I'm wondering how much it generally takes to make a scarf that is approxamatly 8-12inches wide by 3 feet or more.  Its going to be a very simple scarf.  No fancy patterns, just back and forth.  Will 2oz be enough to make what I'm looking to make?  Or will I have to find some matching yarn for the warp(thats the length ways one right?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

henofthewoods
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009 11:28:11 AM »

I am not sure how fine "quite fine" works out to be, but I am guessing you need more fiber. To do the math for the yardage you need:

Width of scarf x density (dent of heddle) x length of scarf x 115% (you always lose some length and width when you remove the scarf from the loom.) = warp

You may also loose warp length if you use a loom (Almost 1 yard for each time you dress the loom on a basic rigid heddle that you might borrow. That gets added to length of scarf along with any fringe you want to add.)

The weft is trickier - there is a rule of thumb that I am forgetting... (2/3 of warp?) but you may beat so that the scarf is light and airy or tightly woven.

When I knit a scarf from mohair that I had spun, 4 oz. made a decent sized scarf. I wouldn't go under four and I would probably want more. If you spin very fine thread, you will have to set the warp strands close together (dpi will be a high number) or the scarf will be too loose.

A high-end loom with a very skilled weaver might be able to get around all of that, but I am not in possession of either. If you are planning something like a peg loom, start to do the calculation of how many times the yarn will have to cross each dimension. Yes, weaving requires math. There are computers today because there were weavers yesterday.

Can you stripe with commercial? Or use other fiber? I ply expensive fiber with cheaper fiber to stretch the quantity sometimes. (Exquisite hand-dyed with plain undyed works very well. You don't muddy the colors.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009 06:28:40 PM »

I was thinking I may need to buy a comercial yarn to go with the silk.   I do plan on making it (the silk) very close to thread, in hopes of streching the amount that I have.   But maybe that wont really help anyway, as it would have to go closer together......  I do want it to be very light, it basically needs to act as a barrier to my scratchy (cheap) wool coat.
So if I want it to be about 3 feet long I would want the math to look like this:

12"x *insert density here* x 36" x115% = ?  .......  yeah... I'm going to have to learn what some of  these terms mean. I was just going to make a peg loom, and a tiny shuttle (I know what that is) and go over under over under......  Huh 
......  Perhaps there is more to it then that.....Huh  or no? 
suddenly seeems sooo daunting......  I'm not afraid of math.. it just confuses me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachymanaangel
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 05:25:30 AM »

You will need to spin your yarn to figure out your wpi and epi (ends per inch or density) for warp.
You will take your wpi number lets say 12 wpi you will divide that number by half so that is 6 epi on your weaving. This number is good for a plain weave. If you want a gauzy fabric or twill dived your epi number in half again 3 but it is easier to keep your warp with even numbers so 4 epi for a gauzy fabric.

On the peg loom you will have a smaller percentage of loss (115%) more like 9-18 inches and this will be your fringe.

So for this epi of 6 you will need 12 x 6 x 54=3,888 for your warp with 18 inches of fringe total.
Hope this clears things up a bit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 09:07:18 PM »

so the density is basically how many times the yarn goes over the end of the loom? 
I did finally spin the silk, and it ended up being over 200yrds  Shocked    but thats probably not enough Sad  oh well I'll perhaps just knit it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Todd McFarlane Interview
Who Is Your The Least Favorite Cartoon Animal
What Would Jack Kirby Say When You Will Get to Heaven
Who Is Your The Least Favorite Urban Legend
Who Is Your Favorite Cartoon Animal
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...