A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter Plaid Coat  (Read 16757 times)
Tags for this thread: coat , plaid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chilan
« on: January 01, 2009 10:15:48 AM »

OK!!!!

So after months and months of pain and suffering and forcing myself to not cave in and buy a new winter coat, I have finished my plaid coat!!!

I patterned it myself...  Skull buttons on the sleeve cuffs, the back tab, and the shoulder tabs.  Snaps on the back yoke and left side button...  Bound buttonholes everywhere (my first!).  I used dark grey long johns material to line the cuffs and add a wrap thingy around the neck area.  Welt pockets on both sides, and an additional patch pocket on the left.  I used black canvas for the under collar and the side black strips. 

AND if you were curious, the plaid is from Joanns, and it's super thin.  I had to interline it with thermal fleece and an extra layer of wool suiting.  It's lined with flannel backed black satin.

Sooo...

Front:

Sides:

Back:

Left Sleeve Pocket Details:

Cuffs Detail:

Left Side Pocket Detail:

Hmmm....  I think that's all!  Please tell me what you think!  I spent a lot of time on this, and would love some feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carillia
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 10:43:04 AM »

I absolutely love it! The back details especially, the yoke and seams are very flattering on you. The cuffs are also very elegant. The work it takes to make a coat is impressive in itself, I've dreaded starting my new one a long time now just because it feels so daunting and overwhelming. But it's so worth the work, home made coats are the best and yours is gorgeous! Good job on matching up the plaid too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juneapostrophe
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 10:47:00 AM »

dude, this totally rocks!  i love all of the details, from the cuffs to the pockets, to how everything is lined up so well. this coat looks professionally made, and it's something i aspire to do someday.  thank you for all of the pics!  i'm totally bookmarking this!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
zkatom
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009 10:50:08 AM »

Great job!  I love it!!!  The details are amazing!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyingjo
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009 10:50:30 AM »

OMG! I want one! It's amazing. I love all the details and the buttons and it looks awesome on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wings and dreams are useless unless they take flight -jmi
myklia
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 10:50:45 AM »

I love people who make their own coats.  Yours looks totally awesome.  I love the zipper off to the side front instead of center.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jangoMama
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009 10:56:14 AM »

Love the coat! You did an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Acara
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009 11:10:54 AM »

YOU ROCK!!
I mean, wow! I'm so amazed by your coat!! ♥

I wanted to do mine too, but I can't go to the fabric store as often as I would like to...
But wow, you are amazing. I'm glad you didn't buy one, 'cause there's no coat out there that looks so professional and perfect!! I can't stop staring at it. ;___; ♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009 11:13:07 AM »

what a great job you did! you should be really proud of yourself!  Nice work on getting the plaids lined up to look so stunning!  I love the back detail and your buttons...you can tell you put a lot of work into it and it shows! nice work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kat_woman
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009 11:28:22 AM »

Wow - the jacket is really cool!  It looks like it came from a rather expensive boutique!  Can you make me one?   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...