A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic Bag Purgatory.....  (Read 4827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mimi Melophile

If you can't dance, don't blame the dance floor.

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2008 04:42:04 PM »

We save all our plastic bags from Wal Mart or wherever like you wouldn't believe. And the only thing we seem to use them for is as garbage bags in the bathrooms or Trick-or-Treating on Halloween. I want to do something fun with them. Any ideas, my friends? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the ability to hear the music of the future.
Faith is having the courage to dance to it today.
Reconstructed T-Shirt
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 09:08:06 AM »

You can melt them and make bags - http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html.  You can also cut them into strips, tie the strips together and then knit - I've seen purses and doormats made this way.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mimi Melophile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 06:18:28 PM »

Wow! That melting is amazing! And do you think that the knitting suggestion would also work for crochet? Knitting takes too much attention, LOL. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009 02:12:34 PM »

yes it should work for crocheting even. in fact! that reminds me of a plastic fusing using crochet as well, http://www.appropedia.org/FBP_Hot_Dang_Plastic_Encasement hope it works out for you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mimi Melophile

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 01:13:58 AM »

Thank you so much for that link! That's totally crazy and I can have a lot of fun with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowridergrma
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009 04:07:33 PM »

I have had an ongoing, downhill slide in my search for easily recycling plastic bags.  I started by putting 5 or 6 inside each other, overcasting the edges with yarn and a giant needle, and then ironing them.  It takes 4 times to get all four sides.  I found that it worked just as well to take the six bags overcast but not iron them.  They hold more and seem to work as well.  I have also started crocheting a chain on each side of the middle so that you can tie in the middle, then pick up the handles and they are closed.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/ambercrafts/recycle%20repurpose/?action=view&current=005.jpg
The bags in the picture were ironed, but it gives an idea of what I am talking about.  I originally made them to take to the grocery store, but I have yet to do that.  I use them for everything else.  Obviously for carrying and sorting books.  They are great for individual crafts projects.  Also very handy because they are water-proof.  I have gotten as far as putting some in the car to use when I go to the store.  Now all I have to do is remember to take them IN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009 05:23:38 PM »

I just used some the other day to fill a stuffed toy-- no fiberfill- so I improvised. I used one bag to line the item then stuffed it til firm with the other bags then tied the lining bag with a knot. I thought that this way it the toy became wet the water wouldn't go into a bunch of nooks and crannies and never really dry and possibly mold and stuff- so I think that the one bag stuffed full of a bunch of other bags should dry off easier it should end up getting wet somehow. It actually stuffed really nicely and I was very pleased. I think I'll be using this FREE method more often Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
rainbowridergrma
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009 05:35:24 PM »

Using the bags to stuff pillows or toys, does it make a noise if you sit on or squeeze them?  I love the thought of using them for stuffing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lysine

Rockin' the Scissors and Paper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009 01:44:11 PM »

Oh, the neverending search for things to do with plastic bags. I love fusing them; it makes a really neat paper/fabric thing. I'm thinking of using fused white bags as pages for a notebook. I usually use only two or three layers fused together but I might try using more layers and see if I can make some coasters and things.

I recently found this article with a bunch of different things to make out of plastic bags.

Also, crocheting with plastic bags is definitely possible - in fact, here's a great site with some tutorials and patterns. It also has some ideas for fusing, it looks like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ... Ravelry | Wist

Currently Working On: amigurumi, ascot tie collection
RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009 12:54:05 PM »

Wow! That melting is amazing! And do you think that the knitting suggestion would also work for crochet? Knitting takes too much attention, LOL. <3

If you're into crocheting, you can create plarn (plastic bag yarn) by cutting the bags into strips and off crocheting you can go. I've made tote bags, purses, dish scrubbies, water bottle holders, hats, rugs, and other useful stuff from recycled plastic bags. If you are looking for free patterns or ideas, you can check out my blog site listed in my signature. Best wishes and I hope you try crocheting with your bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Gai Yang
How to Cook Miso Glazed Barbecued Duck
How to Prepare Barbecued Asian Pork Sandwich
How to Cook a Tomato Rasam
How to Cook Barbecued Thai Pork Satay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...