A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rock Band Guitar Icon Comforter  (Read 5428 times)
Tags for this thread: rock_band  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovefrozenstars
« on: December 31, 2008 03:51:59 PM »

This is the finished product of my determination to craft something that my boyfriend truly loves for his Christmas gift.  (Instead of him just saying he loves it because he knows it's something I made Roll Eyes)

I am glad to say that the mission was successful.  He is crazy about it, and has been showing it off to his friends who are disappointed to learn that it is one of a kind.   Cheesy
I am in love with how it came out.  It's not perfect, but it came out so much better than I even imagined it would.
It's also super poofy and warm. 

And on his bed:

I've never made any type of blanket before, outside of a knit baby blanket, so I'm pretty proud of it.
It was a massive project in terms of size, and it was all I did for four days straight immediately following the end of my fall semester.
To get the symbol, I brought a print out of it to a Kinko's and had them blow it up as large as they could.  I cut that image out and traced it onto white fleece that I sewed onto the front.
The black fabric is two sheets I bought.  Unfortunately, I bought fitted sheets, and didn't have the time to return them, so I had to cut off the elastic, and cut them into identical rectangles before sewing them together.   Roll Eyes  I'll be sure I have flat sheets before I leave the store next time.

Please let me know what you think, and I would be happy to answer any questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
lkroseb
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008 04:18:51 PM »

What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008 11:30:37 PM »

I love this idea!  This might be blatantly obvious but I haven't made a blanket before either and I have to ask - What did you line it with?  Batting, or...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksnbrown
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009 10:49:48 AM »

My MIL bought me fabric to make a blanket and I don't even know where to start! Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't rush forward. When I'm mired in confusion about what the next step should be, when I'm asked to do something for which I feel little enthusiasm, that's my sign to just stop."

http://www.freewebs.com/msknb/index.htm
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009 01:52:08 PM »

Thank you for the compliments.

I love this idea!  This might be blatantly obvious but I haven't made a blanket before either and I have to ask - What did you line it with?  Batting, or...?

I used quilt batting.  I actually happened to find it really cheap at Building 19.  It wasn't the nicest batting, it was kind of thin, so I used two layers, and I'm really glad I did.  It is a really snuggly blanket.

My MIL bought me fabric to make a blanket and I don't even know where to start! Any tips?

I really had no idea what I was doing.  I came up with this idea on my own, and just made it up as I went along.
I would suggest making sure you measure and double measure everything, to make sure your lines are straight and everything lines up because that will make everything easier for you.
I also didn't realize until I went to sew the lines through it, just how much blanket I was trying to stuff through my sewing machine.
I just have a cheap little machine, and not only was it a lot of fabric and batting to sew through, it was difficult to get the rest of the blanket to cooperate while I was sewing.
There is probably a better way to do it, but I just took it very slow and ripped out most of the lines, or parts of them, many times and resewed them until I was happy with them.
Good luck on your blanket making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 10:28:21 PM »

I used quilt batting.  I actually happened to find it really cheap at Building 19.  It wasn't the nicest batting, it was kind of thin, so I used two layers, and I'm really glad I did.  It is a really snuggly blanket.

Thanks for the tip!  Unfortunately they don't have Building 19 down here (TX) but I miss it very much from when I lived in MA.  I'm sure I can find some on sale some where  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovefrozenstars
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009 12:47:05 PM »

Yeah, batting can be so expensive.  It's always exciting to find it on sale or cheap somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Nicky Silver
hellosammerz
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 09:37:37 PM »

this is really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i fly like paper, get high like planes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
How to Make a Blueberry Bruschetta: A Sweet Twist on an Italian Classic
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...