A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another canadians only swap?  (Read 2276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emerald6
« on: March 13, 2005 01:26:53 PM »

the first "Canadians only" swap is nearing its end and i'd love to start another one!  the current one involves swapping a shoe box full of goodies each month with the same person.  it lasted 6 months.  i think canadian only swaps are great because they are cheaper for us canadians to mail and so there is more moolah to spend on craft supplies!

i was thinking that the next one would be similar, but we could send to a different person every month.  i found it hard to make completely different crafts for my partner every month, plus i love getting crafts from all sorts of people!  i was thinking either a 3 month or 6 month commitment - either one, just specify, and i could organize it so it works....

who would be interested?  what do you think of the length? that amount of stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005 12:23:14 PM »

I like this idea, though I think I'd like it even more if it was a smaller package than a shoebox - even within Canada that could get expensive, and I'm a poor student.  Perhaps the smallest Freezer bag ziploc size (slightly larger than a sandwich bag, and more heavy-duty).

I also really like the idea of someone new each month, for variety: "the spice of life."  I apologize in advance if I'm being too corny.

For time length, I just got a great idea - or, at least what is a great idea in my head.  I don't know if there are a lot more students around here, but you could set one up that coordinates with the post-secondary summer, so four months (May, June, July, August).  This would give any busy students a little more time to spend on the projects.

One last idea - can we include lots of info about ourselves for the trading, so that items can be appropriate?  For example, if any swappers had kids, I would love to know about it so I could toss in goodies for them.  If someone was an artist, I could create a sketchbook; for a student, a pen and notebook, and etc.  Does this make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005 01:12:11 PM »

Wow, a shoebox full of stuff every month? God knows it cost about $7.00 for me to send something a hours drive away. I feel like I could have strapped it to a turtle and sent it down the road  Wink

I like the Canuck swap idea that's really neat, but yeah 3 different partners would be cool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
semira
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005 02:40:31 PM »

I wasn't part of the previous swap, because i just joined recently.  I'm into being a part of the next one though.  I'm a student as well and like the idea of either one person for 4 months, or one person every month.  I think that a shoebox is not too big, although I only have 2 shoeboxes and don't buy shoes much....I could probably find shoeboxes from my friends...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005 04:27:02 PM »

I like this idea, though I think I'd like it even more if it was a smaller package than a shoebox - even within Canada that could get expensive, and I'm a poor student. Perhaps the smallest Freezer bag ziploc size (slightly larger than a sandwich bag, and more heavy-duty).

I also really like the idea of someone new each month, for variety: "the spice of life." I apologize in advance if I'm being too corny.

For time length, I just got a great idea - or, at least what is a great idea in my head. I don't know if there are a lot more students around here, but you could set one up that coordinates with the post-secondary summer, so four months (May, June, July, August). This would give any busy students a little more time to spend on the projects.

One last idea - can we include lots of info about ourselves for the trading, so that items can be appropriate? For example, if any swappers had kids, I would love to know about it so I could toss in goodies for them. If someone was an artist, I could create a sketchbook; for a student, a pen and notebook, and etc. Does this make sense?

I totally agree with you 100%. For me, sending a shoebox sized box anywhere in Canada can get pretty pricey so something smaller - or whatever suits the person you are crafting for should suffice. I'd say no larger than one of those envelopes that are about 8.5"x11" would be a good size for me to send. I'm not a student but I will be out of work soon (middle of aprilish) so my money flow will be smaller and slower.  I wanted to get in on the last one but I joined too late and was unable. But I'd like to be in on this one. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
emerald6
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005 04:49:41 PM »

Alright - so hows about a 4 month swap with a different partner each month?

You'd be required to send an 8 1/2 X 11 envelope full of crafts each month.  NOTE: at good ol' Canada Post, thing about an inch in thickness or less can be counted as envelopes and cost like $2 to send - anything thicker starts at like $6!  So try for thinner, or at least squishable crafts....an inch is still fairly thick and shouldnt limit your craftiness!

What do people think of doing themes for each month, or do you just want freedom?  And would april be OK for the first ship out? Say, mid-April?  2 weeks from the sign up close?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005 05:05:50 PM »

I'm down with the 4 month swap with different partners for each month and the 8 1/2 x 11 inch envelopes are great too. Cheesy

I think if we are switching partners each month then we should have the freedom to make whatever we want, but if we arent switching then themes would make crafting easier (at least for me Wink )  An April shipping out date should be okay with me - nothing too huge going on here, but I do know that college exams for the college I work at start on April 11 - not sure what other colleges are like.

This seems like it'd be a lot of fun. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
semira
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005 05:15:45 PM »

Sounds great for the 81/2 x 11 enveloppes, I'm in!  it would be great to pm the person we're sending our crafts to to know what they're into
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005 05:48:22 PM »

I'm loving it!  You're right, Em, it was hard to come up with good stuff each month for our partners.  Especially a whole shoebox full.  I would like to join this swap too and get in on the randomness of a different parnter each month.

Let me know what's happening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005 08:20:16 PM »

So a four month swap.. different partner every month and 8"x11" envelopes, with possibly a new theme every month?

ok that just sounds fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Put on a Puppet Show
How to Make Fishing Lures
How to Make a Cigar Box Guitar
How to Make a 3-D Christmas Card
Home Spun Wool Works in Pleasureville, Kentucky
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...