A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baby hand & footprint cast and framed - *soo cute*  (Read 3121 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_handprint  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparklytoothpaste
*e*

Don't worry, i'm sure no-one will notice....

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004 05:07:02 PM »

Finishing up my stay here at my nanny position – awwww (hehe!)

So thought I would give a little gift as a memento, hand and foot cast of the baby in a frame. Casting kits I looked at were really expensive!! So I thought I’d wing it and improvise Smiley

I picked up the frames at a cheap store, and turned them into shadowboxes by pinning the glass and the shadow board where they were by pushing thumbtacks into the inside corners at the front. Then I pressed four more in further to the back so there was some depth given to the frame. And the back sat further… well.. Back!

Anyway to cast her little foot/handprints I made some regular play dough and she pressed her hand and foot into it… took quite a while before we got an impression that was good enough to use!

I just used cheapo plaster of Paris to do the casting. The footprint was deep enough to fill in with plaster on its own. But I was afraid little fingers would snap off the hand if there wasn’t support so I made a square frame out of cardboard and pressed it in around the hand print before I poured the plaster.

When the casts were dry I carved some more detail into them, shaping up the fingers and toes where they had got all smooshed and fat. Painted them with grey acrylic paints then rubbed over the top with white so that the cracks etc would show up a bit better. Glued black card onto the inside of the frame backing and attached them with a couple of plaques I had made at the local trophy store and whoila!!

They look much better in person and its lovely to have a 3d little hand and foot in a frame instead of the print – looks sooo cute!!

I’m getting a good reference on my resume now!!
Yay!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 04:19:29 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

we sat on our own star<br />dreamed of the way that we were<br />and the way that we wanted to be
dorkinfested
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005 04:16:06 AM »

Grin

How nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aribobari

feaaaar meeee.=]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005 03:59:14 PM »

That's really neat! A great, creative way to do this!! awesome job, i like the impression with play doh. hehe.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msbubbly
Good girls do Bad things

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005 04:06:54 PM »

It looks like it was professionally done. I think I will try this with my 2 yr old. Thanks for the really great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; if that doesn't work, then "KICK ASS"
beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005 09:18:34 PM »

Those are beautiful!  I love this! I bet her paretn's were proud to hang those up!   I want to do all three of my boy's hands and feet while they are still little, but the kits that are in stores are so expensive!  Thanks for the idea! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alodz
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005 06:04:08 AM »

very impressive work ^___^..  i would like to have my footprint too.. oopz  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spamtasy
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005 06:55:35 AM »

This is such a wonderful idea, and so well displayed!  It would make great gifts for grandparents also!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: The Ides of March
50/50 Film Mixes Comedy With Cancer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...