A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another Bobbi Bear - pics and comments on the pattern  (Read 4562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ax174
« on: March 13, 2005 01:11:58 PM »

I made Bobbi Bear with one skein of Red Heart Cozy Wool (in Taupe), and a pair of 5mm circs.  I didn't need dpns since I use the "magic loop" technique described at http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html.  The pattern actually calls for super bulky yarn and 12.75mm circs, but that makes a bear that is almost 2 feet tall, and I wanted a smaller version.

I really like this pattern as it is knit almost entirely in the round, and
there are truly only 3 seams (at the crotch, and to sew on the 2 ears).

However, I did some mods to make it more to my liking.  I originally made an even smaller version, a maquette with scrap yarn at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=27185.0 - before starting this bigger version, so I knew about the "flaws" that I wanted corrected.

1) I used a provisional cast-on for the body.  It made for a neater join with the bum and legs, rather than picking up sts for the bum and legs.  You can see the results in the side photo, where the bum is bigger than what you would get if you follow the pattern exactly.  The back photo shows the  seamless join of the back and bum.

2) I omitted the last decrease row for the legs and arms, so that they wouldn't be so pointy.

3) I omitted the increases and decreases in the middle of the back of the head, so that the head wouldn't be football-shaped.  You can see this in the pic of the back. 

To do this, you need to modify the instructions for the inc/dec rows.  For example, where it says:
     Row 2: *k1, m1, k3, m1, k2, rep from* ... to end
these instructions apply for each quarter of the head.  If you follow the pattern you will get a weird protuberance at the middle back.  Change it so that it applies to only half of the head, i. e.
     Row 2: *k1, m1, k3, m1, k2, rep from * one more time (front of head).  k1, m1, k until 2 sts left of round, m1, k2 (back of head).

4) I made the ears so that the open edge is at the bottom of the ear, not the top as called for in the pattern which would require them to be sewn together. I made them as you would the toe of a sock.

Cast on 22 sts.  Join the round.  Place 2 markers to divide sts in half.
Rnd 1: * Slip marker, k1, ssk, knit until 3 sts left before marker, k2tog, k1.  Rep from *.
Rnd 2: Knit.
Rep these 2 rounds until there are 10 sts left.  Graft remaining sts together.

Here's a Bobbi in progress.  I didn't use a provisional cast-on with this one, and you can see the seam where I picked up sts for the legs.  I used a 4.25 mm needle and one skein of Bernat Cottontots (100% cotton, worsted weight):

Here's the whole family:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 11:26:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

daria

and how does lemur skin reflect the sea?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 01:37:11 PM »

So cute!  I like your modifications to the pattern. 

p.s. love that rear shot.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house. . .I have this strange feeling that the blueprints and the knitting instructions got switched. . ."

I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 08:09:45 PM »

So cute! Where did you get the pattern?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
Tere
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005 04:31:22 AM »

Aaaaaa!!!!
 Kiss He's so CUTE! I love his bum. Yes, where's the pattern from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005 05:20:39 AM »

Thanks!  The pattern is published by Blue Sky Alpacas (http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/patternsandbooks/patterns/bulky/b2.html).  I bought mine from Lettuce Knit (www.lettuceknit.com).  They don't have an online store, but if you call and pay by credit card they will ship it out for a nominal charge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittR

hi, i'm jennie, and I'm a craftaholic.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005 10:17:29 AM »

holy moly- that's a lot of adorable bears- wouldn't it be cute to make them outfits? that would be a great little present for a little girl!  Grin very good job ax! did it take long?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.amoebicjewelry. etsy.com jewelry
www.bitsiebrand.com whimsies
www.littlebeadshop. com semi precious gemstone beads and cabochons
ax174
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005 10:42:10 AM »

Thanks!  It takes 5 hours for one bear, so two evenings each.  I think they're cuter with short bodies and short limbs, so I do only 10 rounds for the body before the armhole shaping, 8 rounds for the arms before the decreases, and 10 rounds for the legs before the decreases. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005 10:46:24 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit2much
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005 05:10:52 AM »

So cute!  You're like a bear factory.  I also like the ample bum.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francie pants
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005 11:35:28 AM »

i love the little chubbo!~~~ the rump shot instantly made me sing in my head "i like big butts and i can not lie....."  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtlie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005 08:27:55 AM »

I love Bobbi Bear.....i made a little family of them a while ago and i too added extra rows for a bigger butt!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Miyamoto Musashi
How to Draw Lelouch
How to Draw Alucard
Supervillain Origins: Rhino
How to Draw Zack Fair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...