A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Alien(s)  (Read 2662 times)
Tags for this thread: alien  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymodster
« on: March 13, 2005 11:35:06 AM »

I finally made a SNB Alien Illusion Scarf recently, as I've always wanted to make one ever since I bought the book eons ago.  My version is knitted in 'raspberry-chocolate' the yarn being that of the more reasonable Patons Class Wool that I had in stash.  I did only commit to 4 out of the 6 alien heads, but the length was to my satifactory AND I literally just had enough yarn (well, I actually ran out of pink on the very last strand for the very LAST fringe!  Weird!).  I had to steam the edges to keep it from rolling, but fear after it's been worn it may be inclined to curl again (anyone else have this problem?).

I really enjoyed knitting this pattern.  I think it has to do with graphs....I never get board when a chart that I must pay attention to, is involved!
I worked on this for four nights straight, so I guess for me: 4 nights = 4 aliens, or 1 alien per night.  Or...um...whatever....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 11:46:34 AM »

in those colors, i might just be inspired to make this! pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linda63pt
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 06:55:00 PM »

The scarf looks great in those colors.  I am trying to make my second in purples for my daughter.  Made one for my son, but am having trouble getting into the second.  I found it tedious on the second scarf!  I love yours!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005 07:59:16 AM »

I love the colors! Beautiful. Great choice, as always CM.

xo H
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caribbeanjerk
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005 09:53:14 AM »

I made a scarf like this also (but used a different pattern instead of the aliens) and had the curling problem also.  I got cheap and just used acrylics - is there anything to do to save my scarf from the curling?!  Please someone help with advice!

-caribbeanjerk-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcf
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005 02:54:12 PM »

i'm doing the classical lime green/black colors, but my edging looks terrible. i don't think i'm twisting the yarns together at ever color alteration. however, i'm loving this whole shadow knitting illusion effect, and i'm glad to see you've tried it in other colors. i thought hot pink or some other fluorescent color would be a nice contrast. i hate reading the chart. i actually wrote it out line for line (k12, p4, k8, p6, k12...), because i only like reading it right to left for each line. that's just the way i started doing it and now i'm stuck on it, and it turns out right, so i guess it's an okay alternative way to read them.

i'm worried about my curling, too. i think it's not totally synthetic material, so i might be able to do some acute blocking. gotta check on that for sure, though. if you haven't been to the stitch&bitch forum (via debbie stoller's bust website), then you can also see postings of other peoples' alien illusion scarf results.

goodbye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linda63pt
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005 06:26:37 PM »

I also wrote out each row.  Happy to send anyone interested my copy.  It does curl on the ends.  I steamed blocked mine but will have to do again.  I think it is inherent in the illusion patterns secondary to the knit/purl rows.  I'm new to knitting so i may be totally off base!!
I did notice on the edges you have to be careful not to pull too tight when carrying the yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005 06:29:33 PM »

I have yet to try an illusion scarf but I want to. I'm wondering whether it's possible to do a garter stitch for a few rows at the bottom and top and also to garter stich the first 3 and last 3 stitches of each row? That helps keep regular scarves from curling. Would this not work well with the whole illusion thing??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005 06:42:59 PM »

I've never done an illusion project, but I think a border would keep the scarf from rolling as much (maybe not completely). Though I'd do the garter stitch border in addition to the pattern (i.e. add 6 stitches to the scarf). From what I understand about illusion knitting is that the knits and purls matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Fun and Affordable Summer Grilling Tips
How to Make Creamy Mac and Cheese with Bread Crumb Crust
Kicked Up Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...