A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Alien(s)  (Read 2680 times)
Tags for this thread: alien  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymodster
« on: March 13, 2005 11:35:06 AM »

I finally made a SNB Alien Illusion Scarf recently, as I've always wanted to make one ever since I bought the book eons ago.  My version is knitted in 'raspberry-chocolate' the yarn being that of the more reasonable Patons Class Wool that I had in stash.  I did only commit to 4 out of the 6 alien heads, but the length was to my satifactory AND I literally just had enough yarn (well, I actually ran out of pink on the very last strand for the very LAST fringe!  Weird!).  I had to steam the edges to keep it from rolling, but fear after it's been worn it may be inclined to curl again (anyone else have this problem?).

I really enjoyed knitting this pattern.  I think it has to do with graphs....I never get board when a chart that I must pay attention to, is involved!
I worked on this for four nights straight, so I guess for me: 4 nights = 4 aliens, or 1 alien per night.  Or...um...whatever....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 11:46:34 AM »

in those colors, i might just be inspired to make this! pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linda63pt
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 06:55:00 PM »

The scarf looks great in those colors.  I am trying to make my second in purples for my daughter.  Made one for my son, but am having trouble getting into the second.  I found it tedious on the second scarf!  I love yours!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005 07:59:16 AM »

I love the colors! Beautiful. Great choice, as always CM.

xo H
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caribbeanjerk
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005 09:53:14 AM »

I made a scarf like this also (but used a different pattern instead of the aliens) and had the curling problem also.  I got cheap and just used acrylics - is there anything to do to save my scarf from the curling?!  Please someone help with advice!

-caribbeanjerk-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcf
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005 02:54:12 PM »

i'm doing the classical lime green/black colors, but my edging looks terrible. i don't think i'm twisting the yarns together at ever color alteration. however, i'm loving this whole shadow knitting illusion effect, and i'm glad to see you've tried it in other colors. i thought hot pink or some other fluorescent color would be a nice contrast. i hate reading the chart. i actually wrote it out line for line (k12, p4, k8, p6, k12...), because i only like reading it right to left for each line. that's just the way i started doing it and now i'm stuck on it, and it turns out right, so i guess it's an okay alternative way to read them.

i'm worried about my curling, too. i think it's not totally synthetic material, so i might be able to do some acute blocking. gotta check on that for sure, though. if you haven't been to the stitch&bitch forum (via debbie stoller's bust website), then you can also see postings of other peoples' alien illusion scarf results.

goodbye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linda63pt
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005 06:26:37 PM »

I also wrote out each row.  Happy to send anyone interested my copy.  It does curl on the ends.  I steamed blocked mine but will have to do again.  I think it is inherent in the illusion patterns secondary to the knit/purl rows.  I'm new to knitting so i may be totally off base!!
I did notice on the edges you have to be careful not to pull too tight when carrying the yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005 06:29:33 PM »

I have yet to try an illusion scarf but I want to. I'm wondering whether it's possible to do a garter stitch for a few rows at the bottom and top and also to garter stich the first 3 and last 3 stitches of each row? That helps keep regular scarves from curling. Would this not work well with the whole illusion thing??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005 06:42:59 PM »

I've never done an illusion project, but I think a border would keep the scarf from rolling as much (maybe not completely). Though I'd do the garter stitch border in addition to the pattern (i.e. add 6 stitches to the scarf). From what I understand about illusion knitting is that the knits and purls matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wire Wrap Jewelry
How to Restore Jewelry Finishes at Home
How to Resize a Ring
How to Polish Sterling Silver
How to Care for Your Metal Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...