A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altoids Tin Purse with Tutorial!  (Read 29378 times)
Tags for this thread: altoids_tin , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faith
« on: March 13, 2005 10:52:53 AM »

I love Altoids tins but had no idea what to do with my quickly increasing collection of them.

So I decided to try making one into a wee purse.

This is how it came out.

The design on the front is from the cover of a 1950's romance novel I got for a quarter at a yard sale and the beads on the handle are from a broken costume necklace that was my Grandmothers.

The purse is small, but has just enough space to hold a few essentials for a night out - cash, ID, credit card and a housekey or two.

I've included a tutorial in case anyone wants to try making one.

Enjoy! Smiley

Supplies you'll need:

An Altoids tin or comparable metal candy container
A pencil
A ruler
Scissors
A an old wee paintbrush you don't mind ruining
An illustration or image that you really like
Tacky Glue
A pack of microbeads from the craft store (smallest size available)
Rhinestones (optional)
Thin gauge bendable wire
A handful of large beads for the handle
Small Pliers (optional but recommended)
Means of drilling two small holes
Safety Goggles

The first step is to place the tin vertically, hinge side up.  You'll want to determine placement of the holes you're going to  make for the handles on the top of the container. So grab your ruler and measure about 1.5" in from the edge and make a pencil mark. Repeat on the other edge.

Now that that's done it's time to poke the holes. If you've got a drill and a narrow bit that's safe for use with metal go ahead and use that. Or just take a small nail and a hammer and carefully tap the nail through the metal.  Whichever method you opt to use, be certain that the tin is securely held in place. In other words, use a vice grip or other means of holding it steady. Wear safety goggles and use caution.

The next step is cutting your image to fit the lid of the Altoids tin. This is easily accomplished by tracing the image against the base with a pencil then cutting it out.

Glue the image to the lid using a thin layer of tacky glue. Be sure to smooth it down so that the image doesn't bubble or become uneven.

Set it aside to dry for a couple of hours.

When that's done, snap up some tacky glue and evenly apply a light layer all over the top of the image with a small paintbrush.  Next you'll evenly sprinkle the microbeads all over the fresh layer of glue.  You might want to  use a paper grocery bag underneath it to catch any microbeads that fall since they can be scooped up and reused. Once you've gotten a pretty good layer of microbeads applied to the tin shake it lightly to remove any excess.

I added some clear rhinestones around the edge to frame the design and make it stand out and also to prevent the edges from looking unfinished.  But that's a matter of personal taste,  finish decorating  it in whatever manner appeals to you.

Then let it dry overnight.

The next step is going to be making the handle,  which is really the only tricky part of the project.

You'll need to choose a group of beads for this purpose, and I'd suggest using large round or oval beads, in varying sizes if possible to create the elements of dimension and interest.

Cut a long piece of thin gauge wire, about arms length.

Bend one end of the wire temporarily so that the beads don't accidentally slip off while you're stringing them on to the other side.

When you've added all of your beads, simply slide the wire through one of the holes in the tin container and twist or tie it into a knotted loop on the inside using pliers.

Half of the handle is now attached, so you just have slide  the other half into the hole and repeat the process of tying or twisting a knot. Trim away any excess wire when you're done.

If you want to line the inside with fabric or felt now would be a good time to do that. I didn't bother, because I like the metal interior.

Hooray - The purse is done! No need to add a clasp, since it has one built in.  Just put your stuff in it and snap it shut.

Just remember that when you open up your purse to hold it design side up so that the contents don't fall all over the place.  Also, please note that the bag will lean towards you very  slightly when you hold it. Just a point of gravity issue, no way around that and nothing to worry about.

What makes this project kind of fun and quirky is that there's no paint involved so that if you flip over the purse, you'll still see the nutrition content and info, hence revealing that it's actually a candy tin. Smiley

Go forth and enjoy your swell new recycled fashion accessory!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 09:29:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

paralyzed-puppet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 11:28:27 AM »

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
that is so cute i just made an altoids tin into a place to put my gitar picks but that is much cuter. great job
i am going to have to get altoids but i don't normally eat htme DARN cute cute cute bag
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I'm thinking of what Sarah said
That love is watching someone die
So who's going to watch you die?

i got my aviator from http://chosenxone.livejournal.com/
shes awsome
Sheila
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 11:29:25 AM »

oh it's so purdy and cute! I'll have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005 11:35:35 AM »

I adore it! Wish we could get altoids in New Zealand....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005 08:13:38 PM »

That is the cutest thing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
epilepticlemur
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005 11:10:34 PM »

OOOooo that's nice.  Yeah, I use a Runts candy tin (that is the exact size as an altoids tin) as a wallet, and I will also attest to it being just the right size for all the small necessary items.  I also keep my chapstick in mine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunty Em
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005 09:00:01 AM »

Hey Faith!  If you don't know what to do with your altoids tins, it looks like Craftyfingers is looking for some!!! Look under Reusing/recycling/revamping-cleaver and crafty ideas  in the forum  It sounds like she could really use some ot those tins. I'm from Venezuela too and we just can't get them here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunty Em
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005 09:05:21 AM »

I just looked at Craftyfingers request again and she even has an address that you could mail to in the U.S., so it wouldn't cost you too much to mail a few!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pamplemousse
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005 09:41:47 AM »

That is totally glamorous!!! I love how the microbeads look, but really it's just all around gorgeous. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm covered in bees!
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005 09:48:57 AM »

oh, i love how that came out! altoids tins are so great.

anyway, i realyl wanna know about "microbeads." i've never used them....what's up w/ them? are they clear? where do you get them? (i feel like i've seen them in the scrapbooking section of my local craft store). they give your image such a great look....and i imagine they'd had an images flaws (like when i print something from my computer printer and it doesn't look exactlly how i want).

thanks for any input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Split Toning in Lightroom
Creating an Orange Sky in Lightroom
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery
How to Use the Luminance Feature in Lightroom, Part 2
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...