A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making beads from rose petals! Tutorial included!  (Read 39377 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallyb
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009 02:47:32 PM »

i'm having trouble straining mine out enough, how did you do it? thanks for the tutorial this is amazing!!

I'm so excited that you are trying this!  I didn't use a strainer or anything like that to drain the mix.  I just grabbed handfuls of the mix and squeezed it over a bowl to get as much liquid as possible out of it.  A bit messy, but it doesn't really take that long as it's cooked down that much. 

I've just had a thought now that you could bundle up all the mix into muslin, tie it and squeeze out over a bowl.  That might be a little easier...

Let me know how you go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009 09:26:39 AM »

I LOVE this tutorial.  I've read up on making these beads before, because my rose bushes bear like gangbusters and I am overwhelmed with petals for about 2 months every summer.  (I have three rose bushes, and each is a different color and different variety of wild or climbing rose, and they blossom in a staggered way, overlapping so I always have roses.  Which is totally by accident and also rocks very hard.) 

I wanted to say, if you read up on distilling rose water, which is VERY easy, you CAN do that at the same time you are simmering your petals for bead paste.  It requires: A brick and a heat-proof bowl that fits inside your petal pot, and a metal bowl, inverted lid, or something else preferably metal, and rounded, big enough to sit on your pot, and ice.  Cheesy  I'd explain fully, but there are LOTS of BEAUTIFUL tuts online already, and it's really so simple it's crazy.  A tiny bit of extra work, and you get two lovely things out of one process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
sallyb
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009 01:01:58 PM »

Ooooo...  Shocked  What a fantastic idea - thanks so much for passing it on Lothruin!  I'm gearing up for another cook-up soon (if I can find more rose petals again - this summer has been brutal!) so I'll do some research into this and find a good tute to go off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009 07:06:25 AM »

I remember Alton Brown showed this process during his baklava episode on Good Eats.  It looked simple enough.  And hey... any excuse to watch Alton do his thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixidance
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009 09:54:56 AM »

i'm having trouble straining mine out enough, how did you do it? thanks for the tutorial this is amazing!!

I use cheesecloth when I'm making latkes.  It gets ALL the juice out of the potatos and you're left with nothing but tater.  You just put a handful in the cheesecloth and squeeze.

I bet the same method would work great for the rose pulp Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009 07:41:26 PM »

I use cheesecloth when I'm making latkes.  It gets ALL the juice out of the potatos and you're left with nothing but tater.  You just put a handful in the cheesecloth and squeeze.

I bet the same method would work great for the rose pulp Smiley

I think that is a great idea and this is the way I'm going to do mine with the next batch.  thanks pixidance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009 01:02:34 PM »

It must smell heavenly ! I've got a similar "recipe" of spices beads in an old natural cosmetics book published in the 70's. Never had a try though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009 12:42:50 AM »

It must smell heavenly ! I've got a similar "recipe" of spices beads in an old natural cosmetics book published in the 70's. Never had a try though.

Ohhhhh!  Please share!  Please!  Please!  I'm gong to PM you right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allstitchedup
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009 05:37:08 PM »

How Green can you get! What a clever idea! I really like the look of them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009 06:13:31 PM »

sallyb - my daughter and I started making the rose beads two days ago ... I'll let you know how they turn out.  But our roses are missing the nice rose scent - they were incredibly beautiful Valentine's roses, but they just aren't putting out the smell!  We're going to keep going anyway.  Even if they don't smell, they will at least hold sentimental value.  I'll keep you posted ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Motion Canvas: Animated Geo
AOL Motion Canvas: Tops Above
AOL Motion Canvas: Dancers Man
Wake the Beast Entitled 5
Wake the Beast Entitled 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...