A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making beads from rose petals! Tutorial included!  (Read 39378 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallyb
« on: December 30, 2008 02:17:23 PM »

I stumbled across this website one day as I was trawling the internet and bookmarked it as something I wanted to try sometime.

http://www.hgtv.com/gl-design-decorative/rose-petal-beads/index.html

I'm not sure if that link will work or not now.  It worked every time I needed to reference it when working on the beads, but today it won't go to the right page.  Meh, I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, I signed up for the Make Love Not War swap and decided to make the beads as an environmentally friendly way of creating jewellery. 

A Problem:  Where I live we are in severe drought and there was no way my garden of dry roses was going to deliver the amount of rose petals needed to create these sweet smelling trinkets.

The Solution:  Visit the local botanical gardens and covertly pilfer petals from the sweetest smelling roses there.   

Here is my bounty:

I then had to chop them up into tiny pieces.  There was such a beautiful scent coming from the petals as I was doing this!

The chopped petals then had to be simmered for an hour.  I bought a special pot for this and I'm glad I did.  Don't, under any circumstances, use a good cooking pot.  The petals aren't poisonous or anything, but your pot may never be the same again.

I can't remember how much water I put in with them (and that darned website won't work!), but I would suggest covering them with water and then adding an extra 2 cups.  Err on the side of having too much water rather than too little.  The petals needed to be simmered for an hour a day for about  5-6 days.  Until the mix seems a bit like clay. Here's some pics showing how the mix changes from day to day.

When the mix is ready, you need to squeeze out as much of the excess liquid as possible.  Don't let it go down the sink though!  You need it later.  Pop it into a container and keep it in the fridge.  It smells divine!

Shape your beads.  The mix is quite unstable, so you need to be careful and work delicately (not something I am used to!).  Or perhaps I should have let it simmer a little more.  They shrink significantly as they dry, so make them at least twice as big as you want them to be when finished. 

Use a needle or skewer to create a hole for your beading wire/thread.  This pic shows me using a needle, but I changed to using a metal skewer when I realised that the hole as well would get much smaller as the bead dried.  I would recommend a skewer over a needle.

Leave the beads to dry.  Check them everyday and roll around a bit to make sure they don't get a flat side from being in the one position all the time.  I put mine outside during the day with some tulle over the top of the container (so the birds couldn't get at them) so they dried out a bit quicker.  Here's how they shrank:

When they are completely dry, get out the reserved rose liquid and rub it all over each of the beads.  Do this over a couple of days, as apparently the liquid helps to cure the beads.  It also helps them to smell wonderful.

Then, you are done!  The website believed that perhaps this was the way beads were made for catholic rosaries way back when (hence their name).  It also mentioned a lady who had a rose bead necklace from her grandmother that was about 50 years old (the necklace that is, was 50 years old) and it still smelled deliciously of roses.

This is the bracelet I made with the beads for my swap partner:

I had a ball doing this - it was so interesting and the scent was magnificent!  I'd love to hear if anyone gives it a go for themselves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunx
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008 02:30:02 PM »

What an incredible idea!  You said that the mixture must be simmered for an hour every day, but for the rest of the time should the mixture be stored in the fridge our just out on the counter, and covered i'm assuming? Also how strong are the beads once they are done? I will definitely have to try this out, sorry for so many questions. Smiley

-Audrey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live. Laugh. Love.
MaggieMo
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008 02:32:09 PM »

oh wow! and they dried hard and sturdy? I have got to try that!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people." said Alice. "Oh, you cant help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."
robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008 02:35:21 PM »

This is really innovative! I've seen people make beads like this with newspaper so I suppose the whole pulp thing still applies. I can't even imagine how great this project would have smelled! I wonder if you could use other herbs for something like this... thanks for sharing this with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nannalexi
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008 02:41:24 PM »

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/preserving-and-displaying-roses/index.html
Hopefully this will work. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008 02:47:47 PM »

Thanks for the positive feedback - it really was so much fun to do!

Thanks for the link nannalexi - but it is a different recipe to the one I used.  There are quite a few recipes for making rose petal beads on the internet, but I really wanted to make one without the addition of chemicals.

bunx, I just left the saucepan sitting on the counter the rest of the time.  I didn't worry about putting it in the fridge.  The beads are pretty strong when they are done.  They are hard, but a little rough.  I'm wondering now if I could sand them down a little to make them smoother?  I might give it a try.

MaggieMo - yep!  Really hard and sturdy!  I'm quite surprised and impressed!

robotarsonist, I love the idea of doing this with herbs!  Imagine the lovely scents you could get - combined with other flowers as well!  So many possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenNinjaMonkey

Write that down in your pirate pad.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008 04:10:45 PM »

This is such a cool idea! The texture of the finished beads in the pic reminds me of velvet, so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest

150 Projects In 2014
8/150
My List
Cyndall
I can resist everything except temptation

I can resist everything except temptation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008 04:39:39 PM »

This is pretty darned awesome, I've bookmarked this one to try. Thanks so much for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008 04:56:00 PM »

wow, this is amazing!  I'm wondering about trying to put them into molds to make different shaped beads too..  do you think it would work?  I agree with you, I LOVE that they are all natural Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008 05:01:25 PM »

Nice idea Mandyhello!  I'm sure moulds could work really well - you'd just have to make sure the mix was quite thick and sticky. 
I'm so glad I shared this - the ideas you guys have come up with are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Good Fabric Paint
How to Choose a Japanese Calligraphy Character
How to Buy the Right Quilting Tools
How to Choose Brushes for Fabric Painting
How to Choose a Cross Stitch Craft Kit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...