A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A new Christmas tradition!  (Read 2153 times)
Tags for this thread: snowflake , ornament , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyontamer
Lyontamer Creations

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2008 01:28:49 PM »

I thought it unwise to have a tree with the cats around, yet mom had given me a lot of beautiful ornaments and I wanted to display them. In summary, I ended up with this...

It's a six-foot snowflake made from dollar-store poster boards taped together, dollar-store holographic wrapping paper, hot glue, and silver thumbtacks. I used this as the pattern...

...which I did on the snowflake generator (URL is on the picture). Then, once it was all up on the ceiling, I suspended the ornaments from it.

I may have started my own tradition here. If I have cats then I can't have a tree, but, every year I can make a different snowflake and hang things up out of cats' reaches. (Though they do stare up at it alot!) And it's a theme that fits in with any religious tradition. Someone has already suggested copper for next year. Hmm...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011 11:07:03 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnicula
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008 03:27:26 AM »

That's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KristyDi
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008 07:50:25 AM »

That is awesome.  I'm currently regretting that my living room ceiling is vaulted and I can't do this.

I may do a scaled down version in my dining room some time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people juggle geese.  -Hoban Washburn
ErnestoIsCool
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 02:42:30 PM »

Amazing snowflake! I love how it displays the best part of the tree without the hassle of one! I soooo should have thought of that for our cats. I'm tired of cleaning up kitty puke with pine needles in it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
himtnc1
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009 10:00:21 PM »

Absolutely fantastic.  My first comment when I saw the finished pic was WOOOOW!!!  Great Job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 03:28:12 PM »

Ok so I also have kitty issues and we too love to hang our decorations, so we too hung ours from the ceiling.....but yours looks so much better than ours! I just hung them at random from ribbons with paper snowflakes that the kids made mixed in. Made the cats crazy, one kept jumping trying to get them, very amusing to watch. Next year I will have to try your version, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedMenace
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009 06:47:39 PM »

I don't have any cats, but I think I might do this next year anyway, it's beautiful! It'd also be great for people who live in dorms or small apartments, and don't have room for a tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thekster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009 10:45:09 PM »

That's really pretty! We have two bad cats, but I think we may still try to hang ornaments on the tree. We'll see this year if they get knocked down/broken (which I expect they will) so maybe we'll try this. Or maybe I can even convince the hubs without the broken ornaments Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daniel Mendelsohn Discusses Mary Renault
Office Hours with George Saunders
William Deresiewicz on Breaking Out of the Educated Flock
Explain Yourself: Richard Brody, Film Critic
The Fiction Issue Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...