A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *South* Carolina  (Read 1750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallysparks
« on: February 17, 2004 10:59:14 AM »

Hey everybody. I'm a native Charlestonian but I've been living in California for about 8 years. Now, I'm moving back to the Carolinas. I was wondering if anybody knows of resources around my neck of the woods that I can go to. I realize that I'll have to do a lot of exploring on my own to find fabric shops, bead stores, etc, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Plus, if there's anybody in Ashville, I plan on going up there to see some friends every now and again, so any places there I should see?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004 12:23:10 PM »

sally-
have we met??  are you a friend of dana's (of hot springs)?  i'm amy- i would have met you at the inn last year.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallysparks
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004 12:26:25 PM »

Nope, sorry! I don't think i know anybody named dana. what's the inn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004 01:14:20 PM »

the inn is a big victorian b&b that her parents own.
so, i think you have a double who's living a parallel life!  the other sally is kookie and crafty, resembles you, has been living in california for several years, and is soon returning home to charleston, and has connections in the asheville/hot springs area.
how wierd is that?!

oh, and to answer your post,
lexington ave. and west asheville are currently the hip & gritty places to be-cheaper rents, too.  
i'm really an outsider of the asheville community, as mine is up in hot springs.
i'd recommend poking around some of the shops and co-op galleries around lexington and broadway, such as (l.o.f.t., dirt and sky people, honeypot, and make me

makeme is a retro fabric shop on south lexington, and my favorite bead shop is a block or two up the street-i can never remember the name...trade something-or-other, i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallysparks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004 10:04:42 AM »

Thanks Firefly. I'll try to check out those spots next time i visit.
p.s. i wonder if i have a second self that's been going around without my knowledge! how strange...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004 05:33:29 PM »

just like that edie brickell song...

somewhere there's somebody in a faraway place with a different name and a face that looks like yours...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

go_gaddy

Sadly, I didn't inherit my mother's sewing genes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004 02:05:35 PM »

You are going to want to check out Mary Jo's fabric. It's in Gastonia, North Carolina (just over the NC/SC border, probably an hour out of your way from Asheville). They are quite seriously a FABRIC MECCA. My mom and her quilting buddies take a vanload of ladies for road trips there.

http://www.maryjos.com/

The other thing of note in the Carolinas is that there are still a few clothing manufacturers left (hello, outsourcing!! Sad ) in the area. In NC there is a lot of furniture manufacturing in the High Point area, which means there are some good remnant shops for heavy upholstery. I got 16 yards of fab upholstery for $2 a yard -- similar to some $18 a yard I had found elsewhere.

I live in Rock Hill, SC, which is near Charlotte, NC. I used to live in Charleston. Check out Granny's Goodies in Charleston on King Street, as well as Exchange Factor in North Charleston (IF it's still around! 5128 Rivers Av, North Charleston, SC 29406 Phone:   (843) 747-9625

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do music jam tracks
Rap Manual: Lesson 6
Rap Manual: Lesson 5
Rap Manual: Lesson 2
Rap Manual: Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...