A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wine bottles  (Read 23444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thequeenjane
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2004 07:59:08 PM »

I saw wine bottles used once as interesting picture frames.  Thinking about it now though, it would be a little tricky to get the picture in.  I guess you could roll it up, push it down the neck and then use really long skewers or something to position it.  Not very much room for error.  But it looked really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildSnowflake
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004 07:35:20 AM »

Granted this is not crafty at all... but I've used bottles lined up on the top of my kitchen cabinets to fill up some of the space that's between them and the ceiling (the landlord bought the smallest cabinets possible and I have a 15 foot ceiling!)... I've covered the bottom with some evergreen garland and silk flowers.

I have some transfer product from my mother that allows me to remove the wine labels and put them on tiles... also i am saving the corks to make a dimensional message "board".

If you remove the labels, you can put your own on and use the bottles to give as gifts... fill with colored popcorn kernels, bathsalts, and other liquid or sandy stuff. To cap it off... plug the top with foil and cover with wax.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004 07:36:31 AM by WildSnowflake » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DiSKoGiRL

disko, disko, disko!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2004 09:17:32 AM »

My hubbie works for a pharmaceutical company and gets TONS of different stuff... this time he has brought me home a few hundred little glass bottles.  One type is about 1.5" tall with a .5" diameter.  It has threading around the neck but no caps.  The others are about 1/4" in diameter and two inches tall with little white caps.  I would like to do something USEFUL with these things, any suggestions???  I've been thinking this over for a few weeks now and haven't come up with much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2004 01:04:18 PM »

spice bottles?
mini snow "globes"?
hang in a mobile for chimes effect?

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meri

... just this girl ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2004 01:12:03 PM »

hang in a mobile for chimes effect?

I really like this idea. You could put colored beads or colored water into the bottles to let light go through them differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2004 01:20:29 PM »

you could paint/etch the ones without lids and turn them into little vases

or maybe you could find  some threaded pipe that fits the lidless ones and make a crazy mad scientist style sculpture connecting them all together
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004 01:27:44 PM »

My Mom found a big bag of these from her days working in a hospital. I freaked out being lover of all things small!!!!

I made mini vases wrapped with wire and beads. much like these but on an even smaller scale.

http://www.hgtv.ca/garden/project/project26.asp

Jaime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004 01:31:22 PM »

Of course jewelry.

The smallish ones might be a good size to make small pendants out of.  Put something pretty in, tie something around the neck and put the top on.  If the cap doesn't like sharing the neck with a piece of fishing line or some such, then glue it on and make it permanent, otherwise, just leave the cap on like that so that the contents of the vial could be changed out.  

With the larger ones, you can make caps for them out of Fimo.  If you put a thin piece of aluminum foil around the neck, then mold a piece of fimo on in an interesting shape, then bake, you should be able to remove the cap from the bottle easily, and the aluminum foil should come off the baked fimo fairly easily.  Also, you can add a jump ring or eye pin to the cap before you bake it to make it a pendant that way, and you wouldn't have to tie anything around the neck.  Then you can thread the lid onto the bottle.  Now you can do as above, fill the bottle with something pretty, screw the lid back on and go to town.  Again, if the lid doesn't stay tight enough for your liking, glue it on.  Or, you can use a small bit of rubber band between the bottle and the cap to act as an o-ring.  This will make the cap fit tight, providing a non-slip surface on the glass, and should also make the bottle water-tight if done right.  

Also, this could be used to make little bottles for beads and stuff.  The lids would only have to be tight enough to keep the beads from spilling out, but wouldn't have to be tight enough to withstand the rigors a regular pendant might.

Hmm.  If you've got pretty seed beads that you like to use, you can make your craft supplies into jewelry.  Fill the bottles with beads and wear the pretty beads around your neck, then use when you feel like it and replace with other beads.  If beads are pretty enough to use in jewelry, surely they are pretty enough to use AS jewelry.

I've never done this, I'm just thinking it will probably work.  It you give it a try, and it doesn't work, then worst case scenerio is you'll have to fill the bottle prior to baking, then put the fimo on.  In that case, whatever you put in there has to be bakable.  Perhaps some glass beads or other fimo pieces, since it can be baked repeatedly.  (Just don't burn it.)  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004 01:36:00 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2004 02:12:31 PM »

this is kind of random, but it would be really cute to put a little tiny bit of dried flowers or something else in either size and then tie one onto a present with ribbon.  or else put a little rolled up note in it and tie it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiSKoGiRL

disko, disko, disko!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2004 03:24:23 PM »

jme:

I like that HGTV idea so much!  I already made a magnet out of one with a similar technique as the aluminum but what I did was take a photo negative, cut it to size,  and slip it inside the little jar... similar effect....

THX so much to everyone!  Great Ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Best Looks from Emmy Night
5 Must-Have Beauty Products For Fall
Beauty Tutorial: How to Create the Veronica Lake Look
How to Remove Gel Nails at Home
Birchbox Must-Haves for September 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...