A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Battlestar Galactica semi-cosplay hoodie  (Read 8265 times)
Tags for this thread: battlestar_galactica , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008 12:14:37 AM »

Hello Craftster!  It has been a very, very long time.  I'm excited to hopefully start posting all the stuff I've made in the last couple years.  Anyway!

My sister is a big fan of the new Battlestar Galactica series, so this year for Christmas I decided to make her something related to it.  I didn't want to do a straight-up replica of one of the costumes because she would never be able to wear it except maybe to a sci-fi convention.  I also didn't just want to make a T-shirt that said BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on it or anything like that.  I wanted to make something *based* on one of the costumes, enough that a big fan of the show might recognize it, but subtle enough that it could be worn around town.

Since her favorite character is Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, I decided to make something based on the flight suit that she wears.  Here's a good picture of both the front and the back of the suit.  Here's what I came up with:

I focused on the shoulder pads and the weird scales down the back as details I could work with.  It's hard to see in the pictures but I also put a pocket on one of the sleeves like the suits on the show.  I did it all from scratch, made the pattern myself from a hoodie of hers.

I do wish I had one more detail on the front, which looks a little blank to me.  I tried to get a patch like they wear on the arms of the flight suits, but I couldn't find them anywhere but e-bay, which couldn't get it to me on time (this present was made pretty last-minute because all the stupid fabric stores around here have closed), and then I thought about stenciling THRACE K or something on the chest, but that didn't work out either.  Oh well.

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
sallyb
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008 12:57:00 AM »

I'm not a Battlestar Galactica fan, but I love it and would wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melazdee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008 02:07:32 AM »

This is a wonderful interpretation! I am not a battlestar galactica fan either but I would wear it too Smiley  and its definitely recognizable if you are a fan, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008 06:40:13 AM »

Very cool!  I've only seen a few episodes of BG, but I love the hoodie.  It's definitely both subtle and recognizable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
nicegoing
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008 07:52:50 AM »

How cool! That's such a thoughtful gift, to make something based on something she loves but make it totally wearable and not costume-y. Oh, and making the hoodie from scratch? Nice! Great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra

Supreme High Commander of the Asgard fleet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008 12:21:02 PM »

AH man - I so would have made this for my partner for Xmas if I'd seen it in time!  What a great idea - you should go on the  SciFiHero or Colonial Fleet site and share this idea there!  They know where to get the patches, too - and Battlestar pins, dogtags, fabrics, etc etc etc.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wackyjacks rule!
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008 04:29:13 PM »

Your sister even looks like Kara Thrace. Great job on the jacket... totally recognizable to  a fan, but subtle enough to wear without fearing Cylon revenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Watermelon.Tasha
I'm a leaf on the wind

I'm a leaf on the wind.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008 04:26:32 PM »

Cool. I do see the resemblance. I love BSG, and love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mel_pez
Dawn's in trouble, it must be tuesday

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009 01:29:35 PM »

i love this, its truly an amazing idea. i could think of a few people who would love this (myself included) i love the scales down the back. very good idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamInStitches
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009 12:52:28 PM »

Big fan of BSG, bigger fan of Starbuck! This is great, you did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Expect From a Certified Jewelry Appraiser
Learn About Vintage Coro Costume Jewelry
Hattie Carnegie Design Jewelry
How to Find Unique Jewelry
How to Buy an Antique Engagement Ring
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...