A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dressform - an experiment  (Read 4343 times)
Tags for this thread: dress_form  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Grave_13
« on: December 29, 2008 02:10:50 PM »

I have been working on the a dressform. My first attempt was a variation of the duct tape one with the intention to remove the tape afterwards. I taped too tightly and didn't reinforce it enough, and the foam expanded on places it shouldn't. It looked horrible.

But I didn't wanted to just throw it away, so i thought of using it as a filling for a pattern based form.
I went through another taping session. This time I used sarran? wrap and regular packing tape. It didn't have to be strong, cause i would cut it into pattern pieces.

I cut away stuff on the original form and added padding where i thought it needed it. I used regular polyfilling and fleece. Some seams I had to sew by hand on the doll after pulling the patternform over it.

But the bust wasn't padded enough so i used an old preformed bra for this.

Afterwards i covered the whole thing with a stretchy jersey.

Tada...

testing it with a bra  Grin

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009 04:38:36 AM by Grave_13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008 02:19:03 PM »

Wow!  This looks like so much work - but completely worth it!  How long did it take you to complete?  I've seen the duct tape form before, but haven't attempted it yet.  This looks so amazingly professional and lovely to work with.  Well done!  Any hints for someone else who might be tempted to try something similar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mimik
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008 02:23:01 PM »

It looks really excellent!!!

But I'm confused...is the final product with the jersey over it a result of your first duct tape form or your second packing tape form? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008 02:30:01 PM »

WOW that is a great dress form, I may have to try that, I'm in serious need of one but am too broke to buy one, thanks for the idea Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
threehang
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008 02:32:40 PM »

holy crap! I can't believe you did all that work! But it was well worth it -- that's the best homemade dressform ever in the history of the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grave_13
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008 02:34:36 PM »

It was loads of work, and I don't recommend the way i did it.
Follow the instructions on this site to the letter and you'll prolly spend much less time on it  Wink
http://www.patternschool.com/bodyform.shtml
You have to make absolutely sure that the form is strong enough. And be carefull when you use self expanding foam.
When you have a form that is good, you don't have to make a pattern. The covering with stretch fabric is easy. Just use a legging pattern for the bottom. For the top part you pin the fabric (wrong side) around the form, and then sew the sides on your machine. The foam is a good base for pinning.
It looks really excellent!!!

But I'm confused...is the final product with the jersey over it a result of your first duct tape form or your second packing tape form? 

Both, I used the first foam form (made from the ductape), but cutaway bad parts.
I made patternpieces from the second taping, and covered the foam form with it. The i filled the leftover hollow parts. After that i added extra bust padding. And after that i covered it with stretchjersey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UpKnitCreek
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008 02:36:13 PM »

That's awesome! I too have had problems using the usual duct-tape dressform method, and this looks fantastic! I might just give it a try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Electric Fire
Resident Hobbit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008 03:08:00 PM »

Wow - that is an amazingly professional looking dressform. If you hadn't told me, I would have thought it was store bought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One little spark of inspiration is at the root of all Creation! One little spark can make your fancy fly - there's more to sight, then meets the eye!

http://www.wists.com/electric_fire
sallyb
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008 03:18:38 PM »

Thanks for the web link and your tips - I'm inspired to give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

handlethis
Monica

I got soul but I'm not a soldier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008 09:50:42 PM »

wonderful wonderful wonderful!

im making my own wedding dress....so making one for myself...will come in handy..FOR SURE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Molding Wax for Constume Makeup
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Costume Makeup - Applying the Base Coat
Costume Makeup - Applying Liquid Latex
Superhero Origins: Deadpool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...