A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Spoon Christmas Penguin Snowglobe Ornaments IMG FAT  (Read 6787 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , resin , spoon , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RiotDemon
Grrl Gamer

Dead Space is scary...!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2008 11:17:55 AM »

Been lurking around for a while and decided to make an account to show some stuff I've been working on.

I was inspired to start using resin after I saw the SpoonFedArt website... I read the entire 100 something pages of the resin thread because I was just dying to do resin..

Well a few experiments later, I decided to make Christmas Ornaments this year for the family.

Showing the results of bending the spoon with just sheer force and pliers.. and a pic of the snowflake button I used in some of them.

The blue paints I mixed to make a shiny yet dark blue for the sky.  And a super shiny white for the snow.

After I painted them, I started gluing these cute plastic buttons to them.  I cut the backs of the buttons off so they would lay more flat..

Of course the easiest resin to work with...

I was at the grocery store looking for an aluminum pan to bring some baked goods to work in... and I saw a 2 pack of these gems.  They have lids and I knew the extra one would be perfect for me.  A lid to cover the resin to keep the dust out... and big enough to hold all my spoons and rice...  Rice?  yes rice.. I put rice in the bottom because it would hold all my spoons level..  It would of worked perfectly, except I was in a rush and overfilled some of the spoons so the resin hardened the rice and made a glob of spoon rice and aluminum pan stuck together....  But it wasn't too bad.. Most of the rice ripped right off.  Whatever didn't, I pried off with a knife and a rotary tool.

I ran out of the little penguins and used polar bear stickers for a couple of them...  I actually wanted to make a few horse ones, but I couldn't find any horsey items that were small enough for my spoons..

This is the only one I had left for a closeup.. Maybe I'll snag my mom's for a photo on New Years and update.. but for now, here's one of my least favorites..  I had to even paint the eye on these penguins because they were solid black and that would of looked silly... so all in all, a pain in my butt..

The glitter was just a iridescent craft glitter I had... I wanted something that looked more like snow so it would of made a better snowglobe.. but the only thing I could find was a huge tub of flakes for $9... and I'd already gone over my crafting budget for something I needed only a couple of pinches of...

Final touch was engraving the year and my name on the back and adding a silver ribbon.. Voila!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacilemon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008 11:21:35 AM »

ooh ohh ohh! lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
applesonastick
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008 11:33:54 AM »

love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayxwolf
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008 11:39:59 AM »

This is really cute!  I love the detail that you managed to work into a very small space with just a few plastic pieces and some paint, and EasyCast epoxy is great for small things like those.  Smiley  Nice work!

~j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008 01:25:40 PM »

They are so cute. I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alli.illektro
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008 02:00:23 PM »

i like the idea of engraving the year and name on the back. those ornaments are always my favorite to hang on the tree Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funtobewith
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008 02:01:27 PM »

Fantastic! They look great! No bubble problems with your resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008 02:44:28 PM »

Very creative pendants!  You make me want to look a bit closer at the thrift store spoons now!
Thanks for sharing your project - I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008 02:54:56 PM »

These are beautiful and so creative!! I love them! Your tut is great!! the rice idea is genious! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
RiotDemon
Grrl Gamer

Dead Space is scary...!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008 03:50:38 PM »

Thank you all for your lovely comments!!

Fantastic! They look great! No bubble problems with your resin?

I had a few problems with bubbles... most of them went away on their own and then I blew on the rest with a straw to get them out.. however, I did have some sneaky ones show up later in a few of them.  I think it happened because i glued the penguins down, but there was still a possibility of an air pocket beneath.  If i had dipped and hung the spoons the first time, that probably would of taken care of that.. But I had limited time and couldn't make 3-4 different layers of resin waiting for drying....  Normally with spoons the last thing I would do is an overall dip to ensure the resin sticks to the spoon.. I did have one before that peeled up at the edges because it got stuck to something else while drying.. well, i just filed away a bit of it, glued down what i could, and then dipped the whole spoon

Good luck with your resin projects and thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
How to Use Freeze-Dried Fruit for Perfect Fruit Icing
How to Make the Perfect Peach-Blueberry Crumble
Banana-Split Funnel Cake Recipe
Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches at Holey Cream in NYC
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...