A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Spoon Christmas Penguin Snowglobe Ornaments IMG FAT  (Read 6521 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , resin , spoon , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RiotDemon
Grrl Gamer

Dead Space is scary...!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2008 11:17:55 AM »

Been lurking around for a while and decided to make an account to show some stuff I've been working on.

I was inspired to start using resin after I saw the SpoonFedArt website... I read the entire 100 something pages of the resin thread because I was just dying to do resin..

Well a few experiments later, I decided to make Christmas Ornaments this year for the family.

Showing the results of bending the spoon with just sheer force and pliers.. and a pic of the snowflake button I used in some of them.

The blue paints I mixed to make a shiny yet dark blue for the sky.  And a super shiny white for the snow.

After I painted them, I started gluing these cute plastic buttons to them.  I cut the backs of the buttons off so they would lay more flat..

Of course the easiest resin to work with...

I was at the grocery store looking for an aluminum pan to bring some baked goods to work in... and I saw a 2 pack of these gems.  They have lids and I knew the extra one would be perfect for me.  A lid to cover the resin to keep the dust out... and big enough to hold all my spoons and rice...  Rice?  yes rice.. I put rice in the bottom because it would hold all my spoons level..  It would of worked perfectly, except I was in a rush and overfilled some of the spoons so the resin hardened the rice and made a glob of spoon rice and aluminum pan stuck together....  But it wasn't too bad.. Most of the rice ripped right off.  Whatever didn't, I pried off with a knife and a rotary tool.

I ran out of the little penguins and used polar bear stickers for a couple of them...  I actually wanted to make a few horse ones, but I couldn't find any horsey items that were small enough for my spoons..

This is the only one I had left for a closeup.. Maybe I'll snag my mom's for a photo on New Years and update.. but for now, here's one of my least favorites..  I had to even paint the eye on these penguins because they were solid black and that would of looked silly... so all in all, a pain in my butt..

The glitter was just a iridescent craft glitter I had... I wanted something that looked more like snow so it would of made a better snowglobe.. but the only thing I could find was a huge tub of flakes for $9... and I'd already gone over my crafting budget for something I needed only a couple of pinches of...

Final touch was engraving the year and my name on the back and adding a silver ribbon.. Voila!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacilemon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008 11:21:35 AM »

ooh ohh ohh! lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
applesonastick
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008 11:33:54 AM »

love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayxwolf
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008 11:39:59 AM »

This is really cute!  I love the detail that you managed to work into a very small space with just a few plastic pieces and some paint, and EasyCast epoxy is great for small things like those.  Smiley  Nice work!

~j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008 01:25:40 PM »

They are so cute. I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alli.illektro
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008 02:00:23 PM »

i like the idea of engraving the year and name on the back. those ornaments are always my favorite to hang on the tree Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funtobewith
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008 02:01:27 PM »

Fantastic! They look great! No bubble problems with your resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008 02:44:28 PM »

Very creative pendants!  You make me want to look a bit closer at the thrift store spoons now!
Thanks for sharing your project - I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008 02:54:56 PM »

These are beautiful and so creative!! I love them! Your tut is great!! the rice idea is genious! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
RiotDemon
Grrl Gamer

Dead Space is scary...!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008 03:50:38 PM »

Thank you all for your lovely comments!!

Fantastic! They look great! No bubble problems with your resin?

I had a few problems with bubbles... most of them went away on their own and then I blew on the rest with a straw to get them out.. however, I did have some sneaky ones show up later in a few of them.  I think it happened because i glued the penguins down, but there was still a possibility of an air pocket beneath.  If i had dipped and hung the spoons the first time, that probably would of taken care of that.. But I had limited time and couldn't make 3-4 different layers of resin waiting for drying....  Normally with spoons the last thing I would do is an overall dip to ensure the resin sticks to the spoon.. I did have one before that peeled up at the edges because it got stuck to something else while drying.. well, i just filed away a bit of it, glued down what i could, and then dipped the whole spoon

Good luck with your resin projects and thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Flat Irons
Learn About Hair Coloring Tools
Learn About Hair Foils
Learn About Hair Styling Products
How to Create a Half-Up Half-Down Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...