A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: rhinestone heart pendant.  (Read 2257 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

afrodite

fake it 'til ya make it.

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2005 12:31:24 AM »

my friend Amy and i walked into a store in Napa called Wildcat about a month ago. there were these rhinestone heart pendants on ball chains that we thought were hot. they wanted $68 for one. HAW!

so with materials i already had (aluminum foil, polymer clay, micro glitter and rhinestones), i started this:

i need a gooseneck lamp and a tripod.

i tried to give you an idea of the full extent of the bling.

i'm going to finish the sides tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005 11:27:29 PM by afrodite » THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldigold
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 07:04:30 AM »

Ooooo pretty!  I purchased polymer clay 3 months ago, and I have been too scared to use it.  But now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
afrodite

fake it 'til ya make it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 09:40:41 AM »

Ooooo pretty!  I purchased polymer clay 3 months ago, and I have been too scared to use it.  But now...

it's SO easy! should you decide to really get into it as a hobby, i strongly recommend the purchase of a pasta making machine. it allows you to roll out thin, uniform sheets of clay.

you didn't ask for a tutorial, but here it is (my first tutorial! yay!)

use the aluminum foil as an armature (foundation). this way, you use less clay, and your pendant will be really light yet sturdy. shape it with your hands into a heart. then condition your clay. this simply means that you should knead it for a while until it's warm and really pliable. after that, roll the clay out into a sheet long and wide enough to cover your heart. trim around it, leaving about an eighth of an inch. smooth the sides out with your fingers so that there are no seams.

then sprinkle  it with glitter on both sides. you don't have to worry about it flaking off like if you were gluing it to paper. when you bake the clay, the majority of the glitter will stay intact.

IMPORTANT! go to the dollar store and get yourself a cookie sheet. write on it with a Sharpie, "for polymer clay ONLY!" once you use something for clay, it should NEVER be used for food again.

okay, another thing i'd HIGHLY recommend is an oven thermometer. you'd be surprised at how far off your oven can be temperature wise.

anyway, back to the tutorial. bake the piece for about ten minutes at 275 degrees. remove it, let it cool for about the same amount of time. then mix up some epoxy (you can get the dual plunger tubes practically anywhere--Home Depot, OSH, most drug stores). mix up tiny batches at a time (you'll be covering small areas, and there's no need to waste). also important! work with epoxy in a well-ventilated area. spread a thin coat on a section of the heart (i found it helpful to outline the heart first, and then fill it in row by row), and use a utility knife to slide the rhinestones in place. that's MUCH easier than tweezers, trust me!

let dry, string, and bling!

yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldigold
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005 10:48:11 AM »

you read my mind...thanks for the tute. silly question -- is the foil inside the clay as support or just as backing?  i have all the supplies except the pasta thingy. i even purchased a toaster oven from Goodwill ($5), it stares at me everytime i enter the kitchen. i've been wanting to do bling minus the expensive epoxy casting stuff that's in the Rio Grande catalogue.

thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005 02:54:25 PM by goldigold » THIS ROCKS   Logged
afrodite

fake it 'til ya make it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005 11:15:59 AM »

silly question -- is the foil inside the clay as support or just as backing?

not a silly question. you need clarification? you got it.
think of it as making a tin foil ball, only heart shaped. it's neither support nor backing. polymer clay is pretty hard once it's baked (although it will chip if dropped). it's mainly just to save clay. but it's also useful when you're making something that's really thin (like doll arms, etc.), because it's hard to get clay to keep from flopping around when you make thin tubes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldigold
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005 02:51:18 PM »

Thanks--I thought I figured it out (but didn't).  I'm gonna try it tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
afrodite

fake it 'til ya make it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005 11:29:30 PM »

here is the final product:

pardon my face. i'm hecka tired.

i put epoxy on the back side in order to seal the glitter. i may put it on memory wire instead. not sure yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005 11:38:41 AM »

polymer clay is pretty hard once it's baked (although it will chip if dropped). it's mainly just to save clay. but it's also useful when you're making something that's really thin (like doll arms, etc.), because it's hard to get clay to keep from flopping around when you make thin tubes.

Fantastic.... love it!!   Have you decided yet whether to string it on the memory wire and/or had you intended to use that red velvet-type ribbon in one of the first photos?  Think any of those possibilities would look great.

I'm not sure I've ever seen solid jewel coverage like that on polymer clay.  Would you mind if I put the instructions you wrote for it at my polymer clay "encyclopedia" website?? ...I'd love to include a link to a photo of it too, if you have one somewhere "fairly permanent" (my site suffers too much already from DLS --dead link syndrome  Roll Eyes).

Btw, I notice that you said polymer would chip if dropped... are you by chance using Sculpey clay??  (you mentioned baking at 275 so I assumed it was prob. Sculpey or Premo... anyway, not one of the Fimos).  The other polymer clay brands shouldn't chip since they're much less brittle than Sculpey after baking, so I was  curious (...those should just bounce if dropped --BTDT---or bend if thin and flexed).  The extra hardness of the Sculpey III can come in handy for armatures though.

I was a little confused about your doll arms .... can I ask if you were using actual clay tubes, or alum. foil armatures with clay around them (rather than solid arms)?  ...how big were the dolls?

You have a good sense of style Grin  Grin .... I'd love to see more photos of your stuff.  Do you have more at Photobucket? (couldn't figure out a way to get to other albums there if you do, but I beat my head against their wall awhile trying)   

Oh, I also notice you mentioned Napa in one of your other posts.  If you're within an hour or so of (north) San Jose, we have a great polymer clay guild there you might want to check out (newbies to professionals all welcome) ...we even have a few people who drive down from SF or the Walnut Creek area on a regular basis you might be able to carpool with if you want, depending on where you are. 
Here's a link to our website, if you're interested...  http://home.earthlink.net/~sbpcg
(If you want to come take a look at one of our meetings, write me at DianeB@glassattic.com if you have any questions beforehand! )

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 01:32:36 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
What to Wear on Thanksgiving and the Days After
Carbon Copy: Get January Jones Fall Look
Miranda Kerr Reveals Style Inspiration
Style Sound-Off: Jennifer Lawrence, Angelina Jolie, Liam Hemsworth
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...