A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mineral make-up: Make your own basic eye shadow  (Read 32745 times)
Tags for this thread: makeup , tutorial , eye_shadow , mineral_make_up  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009 09:25:21 AM »

What would you recommend for mica and oxide colors to start? How much of each, too. I've got so many I'd like to try but I'm not sure if I should get teaspoons or ounces.
Sorry in advance for the long post...this isn't an easy question!

I'd say start with teaspoons of micas, 10 grams or 1/3 ounce for the iron oxides. You'd be surprised at how far a teaspoon of mica can go!

Aside...A scoop in my recipes is 0.15 cc or 1/32 of a teaspoon. A decent sized eye shadow is 5/8 tsp to 1 tsp. So if you are using the 3:2 ratio of colour to base, you're going to use about 3/8 teaspoon of colour in each eye shadow. So you can get quite a few different eye shadows from a teaspoon!

You can get some sampler packs, which not only gets you what you want but you'll get a few colours you didn't expect, so you can play! (See the links below for ideas on where to order). Or You can start with one iron oxide, a few micas, and the base ingredients, but you'll want more when you get addicted...I mean, see how easy it is to make eye shadow!

If you don't want to go the sampler route, it's harder to figure out what to get because it all depends on what colours you like. Find a colour you really want to make, then find a base and 2 colours in that range and build your shopping list from there. 

Browns - tan base with brown-umber iron oxide. Add micas like cappucino, bronze, copper, oriental beige, aborigine amber.

Pinks - pink base with ultramarine pink. Add micas like sunset, petal pink, maroon (this alone with the base makes a lovely dusty rose colour), blushing rose, coral, and so on.

Purples - violet base with ultramarine purple or manganese violet. Add micas like patagonian purple, pixi purple, violet. 

If you're not sure, everyone suits the white or cream base colour, then add a colour to it!

In addition to these colours, I think every kit needs:
black iron oxide - blue-black for cool tones, brown-black for warm tones
brown-umber iron oxide
satin or white mica - lightening and sparkling
silver or gold - metallics are fun, plus you can use these to change the tones
black mica - darkening and sparkling
(optional) iridescent mica - adding some sparkle and light colour

Here's a listing of all the MMU projects on my blog - http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search/label/MMU - and I'm starting the tutorials again this week with blues.

Where to get some sampler kits...
Suds & Scents (Canada) - micas only - http://www.sudsandscents.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Mica+Pack+2&Category_Code=SM and http://www.sudsandscents.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Mica-Pack-1&Category_Code=SM (this one's great for a bit of everything!)
Voyageur (Canada) - iron oxides only - http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/store/details.asp?prodid=66520&cat=18&path=4,18
Brambleberry - micas only - http://brambleberry.com/micas.aspx
Brambleberry - MMU kit - http://brambleberry.com/MineralMakeup.aspx - no iron oxides
TKB Trading: - check out their  Pop sampler - [url]http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=503][http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=32/url] - check out their  Pop sampler - [url]http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=503 which is a great way to start with a bit of everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009 10:24:22 AM »

Ooh thanks swift! (I was wondering too) So, I am really lazy about putting on make-up (ie, I like to sleep in and if I am short on time make-up just doesn't get put on) and totally love eye crayons and shadow sticks and what not to take with me to work to slap on quickly. Is there any way to do something like that with mineral make-up? I'm thinking some kind of a base in a lip balm twist up tube or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009 11:09:51 AM »

Hi MareMare! You could do something like this in a lip balm tube. These recipes are only guesses, but I've put together ingredients that will make a lip balm or stick that has glide, low greasiness, and adhesion.

Make up your eye shadow of choice. I'd make up at least 1 tbsp so I could play around with it. Add 3% calcium carbonate (the dry-flo will also reduce greasiness) - so if you are making up 1 tbsp (15 ml) you'd want to add 3 little scoops (3/32 tsp) to the eye shadow.

Lotion bar - 1 part beeswax or 1/2 part candellia or carnuaba wax, 1 part butter (I'd use cocoa or avocado butter here), and 1 part liquid oil (I'd go with fractionated coconut or jojoba or, if you can find it, IPM). So if we're shooting for 16 grams, let's call it 5 grams wax, 5 grams butter, 5 grams liquid oil. (This will likely make 2 lip balm sized tubes!)

Melt the ingredients for the lotion bar. Prepare your eye shadow of choice. When the lotion bar is melted, add half the eye shadow to it. Mix very very well. Now take a little and put it on a piece of white paper - if you like the colour, keep it. If not, add more of the eye shadow to it. And keep doing this until you get the colour you like. When you like it, pour it into the lip balm tube and let set.

If you feel it's too greasy, you can add more dry-flo or calcium carbonate to it. If it's not a strong enough colour, add more eye shadow. If it's more transparent than you'd like, add some more titanium dioxide to your base.

If you wanted to make it a little more interesting, I'd try the following
30% beeswax
30% butter
33% IPM or cetyl esters
3% cetyl alcohol
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
Melt then follow directions above.
The cetyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, and dimethicone will give you a great glide, and the IPM is an ester that will give the feeling of less greasiness.

Remember, these are just thoughts...If all goes well, I can do some crafting tomorrow morning so I'll try this out and let you know. (If all doesn't go well, it'll be next week before I get a chance!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009 11:28:55 AM »

Awesome possum! Thanks hon! Now to get some money and buy supplies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CurrySpice
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009 05:33:54 PM »

Wow, that's a really cool idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cleverlilminx
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009 08:31:12 AM »

I just wanted to thank you Swift for starting this thread and posting all this info on how to make eyeshadow.  I got bitten by the bug and ordered some supplies and made my first eyeshadow last night, Dusty Rose.

I am so excited and can't wait to try to make more colors!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009 10:01:24 AM »

swift is the awesome, yo! Don't miss this thread~ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299784.0
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 10:02:04 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009 10:26:06 AM »

Thanks for the info, Swift! Very helpful. I'm just worried I'm going to order way too little for the five of us (aunts, cousin, mom and myself) to play with. Mica samplers may be the way to go with extra white, black, and gold.

And the crayon/liptube idea is awesome. Those slim lipbalm containers would be a great size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
PonyHuetchen
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009 04:08:51 AM »

I've made some yesterday. I love purple eyeshadows, so I went all viole(n)t .

THIS ROCKS   Logged

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009 05:45:54 AM »

Love love love love love! Magnesium violet makes me most beautiful purples, eh? (I think my mother would call it a mauve, but I still haven't figured out those specifics in colour naming yet!) Did you use ultramarine purple as well?  Thank you so much for sharing these pictures! Do you have any new colour combinations you want to share?

That's what I love about MMU - add 1 scoop extra of this, take out 1 of that and you have a whole new colour!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Cutlets
How to Make a Big Mac Burger
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Honey-Truffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Cook Truffled Egg Benedict
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...