A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resize too-big jeans TUTORIAL  (Read 35478 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tothemoon
« on: March 13, 2005 12:13:29 AM »

For some reason I have three or four pairs of jeans that are too big around the waist for me -- usually about a size (about an inch or so) too big. I don't know how this happened, maybe it's because I didn't want them to be too tight on the legs. But anyhow, I'm not a big fan of belts (at least belts that HAVE to be worn), so I decided to find a way to make them smaller without making them look stupid and painfully obvious.

This is how I did it (I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the process, just the finished product). This might be a little wordy but I want to be specific.

*You will need a needle capable of sewing denim. You also might want to use the same gold-brown thread denim-specific most jeans are sewed with. Its a little heavier and blends in. I didnt use it, and instead used a thinner thread of similar color, but later bought the denim thread at Jo Ann Fabrics.

1. Put on the jeans and pinch them or pin them to determine how much excess fabric you want to remove from the waistband. Mark the measurement anywhere on the waistband.

2. Take them off and measure how much you marked. You will be removing this fabric from the center of the back of the waistband, so re-mark it exactly in the center (that is, so that the center belt-loop is exactly in the center of the measurement.)

3. Now, remove the top connections of the three belt loops that occur on the back side of the pants (past the seams that run down the outside of the legs). This is so that you can remove the waistband. The TOP connections are removed because we want dont want them to all run towards the back and be spaced funny.
   **Also remove all the tags that might be in your way.

4. Now remove back portion of the waistband, ripping the seam until just in front of the seams that run down the outside of the legs). The waistband will still be attached in the front. There is no need to remove it.

5. Flatten out the loose waistband (so the seam that was at the top of it is now in the middle) and cut out the portion you marked. REMEMBER to adjust your cuts for seam allowances of a quarter-inch or so!

6.  Fold one side of the cut band downwards and to your mark and place it over the other side on top of the other mark, so that your two marks are touching. Pin and sew. I used a straight stitch.
You may want to try this on now, to see if the waistband is the right size before you go any further!

7. Fold back together and pin the waistband back on, the way you found it, from the center to about an inch away from each side-seam. All the excess fabric will run to each side. Remember to align the new seam you created with the back belt loop (So that when re-attached, the belt loop will cover the ugly seam).

8. Now, as you will notice, the waistband no longer fits the top of the jeans! You will need to make up for this at the sides of the jeans. Notice that there is stitching on the outside of the side seams of the jeans that runs for roughly 5 inches. You need to remove these stitches as well as all those you find underneath (I found two more setsjeans are meant to be strong) up to that 5-inch point (the point the outside stitching ends.)

9. Now push the extra fabric into the jeans and taper it off until you hit the 5-inch mark. We dont want any strange bulges. Pin and straight stitch over the exact spot you removed the stitches from the front (You will probably be able to easily tell because the jeans will be either be darker underneath the original seam or there will be visible marks from the original stitching anyway.
You may want to add more stitching on the underside, considering how many stitches you actually had to remove. I didnt, however, and I dont think itll be a problem

10. You might want to try them on again before going any further and cutting off the excess fabric from the inside. After this, you have only to re-sew on the waistband (which SHOULD fit perfectly over the body of the jeans) and re-attach the belt loops. They will not be attached in their original positions. Just go straight up. Straight-stitch the waistband with your golden thread exactly where the original stitches were (youll be able to tell).
   You can reattach the tags you removed, too, if you want to. I didnt.

Here are the pictures of the finished jeans:

new center seam on inside. notice the two dark marks where the tag used to be attached. Notice how big the tag is!

new center seam hidden under belt loop

new side-seam

new belt-loop placement beside the ghost of the old belt loop placement

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 01:10:36 AM »

yay!
all of my jeans have this problem
big thighs

*once bought a size 16 sirt and a size 22 pair of jeans on the same day*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Youtube Channel:  http://www.youtube.com/charlieisagirl

Makeup/Clothing Tutorials:   http://www.youtube.com/stardustandunicorns

Formspring:  http://www.formspring.me/charlieisagirl

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Ziggy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005 04:09:36 PM »

OH..... MY..... GOODNESS.

Thank you so much for posting that amazing and awesome tutorial!! I happen to be a small girl. I don't mind, but... ugh.... to find a decent pair of fitting pants I have to buy them on the pricey side and my clothing budget is thrift-store-style.

Anyway. You've completely saved some of my pants from an untimely throwing away. They thank you.  Cheesy And so do I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005 01:19:40 PM »

THANK YOU!  Now I can't wait to go home and try this.  come on 5 oclock...  !!

I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's just that I can't deal with skin tight jeans or maybe my body is really odd, but all of my pants fit well-ish around the butt/legs but they gap at the waist.  YAAAAAY Craftser!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005 01:32:02 PM »

i'm so glad i found this tutorial. i'm also small and this wont discourage me from buying pants anymore
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005 07:20:53 AM by flrtingwdisaster » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005 12:05:59 PM »

i agree, thank you so uch. its hard to find pants that fit my long lets and small waist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
fitz28
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005 10:49:19 AM »

I'm a little confused on the last part of that tutorial, where you rip up the 5 inch part of the side seam and tuck the extra jean waist into it.

If someone can explain to me exactly how you tuck it in and how you sew it back up--that'd be great. I might sound like an idiot, but it's just not clicking.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewluv
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008 07:26:26 AM »

i found this and i tried it! its awesome! the only problem i had was that i had to take off a lot, so part of the pockets were cut off. same with the belt loops. oh well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elfin enigma
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009 12:46:12 PM »

i'm trying this but not quite understanding how you're doing step 6 so that it lines up somewhat neatly and without a lot of extra bulkiness.  i put the right sides of the unfolded band together but it made a weird pucker at the top.  the belt loop would've probably covered it up but it was bulky enough to seem like it was going to be uncomfortable to wear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Setting Up a Sewing Machine
How to Make a Beaded Christmas Tree Pendant
How to Make a Scene Hair Bow
How to Make an Olympic Torch
How to Make a Crown
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...