A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh - gee - thanks for the scarf! (Add to the 20 in the closet... or recon?)  (Read 1607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra

Supreme High Commander of the Asgard fleet

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2008 08:38:11 PM »

I have many many many scarves, some knit (none hand knit, all mass produced), fleece, and miscellaneous "fashion" gifted to me  over the years - and my significant other wants me to give them up!  I've given more than half to charity, but others I like the look of them enough to want to re-craft them and keep them somehow.

I've been looking for any threads on reconning scarves into buttoned neck warmers  - it should be possible?  I like those - not too very long or too hot.

Or could I use the sock recon ideas I've found ( for example arm warmers or stuffed toys)?

But one scarf would make many neckwarmers or arm warmers - and there'd still be scarves left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wackyjacks rule!
RENTHead_351
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009 07:08:24 AM »

I can't see why it wouldn't work, fabric is fabric, and if there's enough fleece in a scarf to make a nice neckwarmer, I say go for it!
I googled for some instructions, but I'm not positive if I can post a link to a site outside craftster...? Google "how to make fleece neck warmers" and there's a few sites that may be able to help you.
Also, just throwing it out there, if you have enough fleecy scarves (because I don't think the knit ones will work...) you could probably make a nice blanket or a curtain for a closet. I'd love to see what you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scubasteph6
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009 10:23:39 AM »

You could trim a skirt or slip (so it hangs below a skirt or dress) with a fashion scarf.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 10:24:43 AM by scubasteph6 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mosli
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009 01:00:00 PM »

throw pillows are always an old standby for recycling - especially if you like the material.  What are you in need of? I use surged squares of old sweaters for washcloths, and I'm sure that would work with knit scarves. Or pot holders or oven mits.
Lately I've been seeing slouchy leg warmers that button at the ankle over a shoe or boot for a spats kind of look - that should be something you could do with a scarf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosli: Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mosli
Custom telescope bags, wearables, and inspired items
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009 04:55:00 PM »

I saw something awile ago where someone took a bunch of scarves and made a headboard by nailing them to a frame. I think theres were silk but it could still work. I believe it was Design ideas under a 100 dollars about 3 months ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009 05:47:50 PM »

An afghan - sew them together.
If any of them are 100% wool, you could felt them - basically wash them in the hot water cycle on your washing machine until they're shrunk as much as they can. You can cut them and use them as nice thick felt.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
La Maestra

Supreme High Commander of the Asgard fleet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009 08:43:35 PM »

I knew this was the place to find great ideas! Thanks so much everybody!  I hope these ideas will help other scarf-rich recipients like myself.  Scubasteph6 - your idea is interesting for somebody my age, because I'm often told I can't wear short skirts anymore, but long skirts look kinda fuddy-duddy on my short frame (IMO) - a scarf hem could be kinda funky.

...(what does it mean when you get so many scarves as gifts?  Am I hard to shop for Embarrassed?  Do I need to put my gift wishes more "out there"?   Ah, well - that's a whole other story.  Maybe they'll get a scarf back as a gift from me - but with new life - say, as a pillow, or an afghan, or a fleece blanket, or a covered windowbox or picture frame (headboard is kinda big, but a cool idea)  Grin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wackyjacks rule!
missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009 12:40:49 AM »

hey gifting back with recons is a great way to give them something cool. and subtly get a message out like. oh i dk..
STOP SENDING ME SCARVES.. lol

i wouldnt complain. im greedy for fabric lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009 06:16:21 PM »

If you need to donate some, consider a cancer center.  Many ladies losing their hair would be blessed to have a nice scarf to wear.  My mother in law just had brain surgery yesterday, so I was just shopping for scarves
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009 10:07:50 AM »

If you need to donate some, consider a cancer center.  Many ladies losing their hair would be blessed to have a nice scarf to wear.  My mother in law just had brain surgery yesterday, so I was just shopping for scarves

i love that idea!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Korean Cucumber Salad
Traditional Korean Feast
Introduction to Life in India
At Home with our Indian Chef Kirti Rahi
How to Make Cucumber Raita
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...