A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,373
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SNB with a twist-- personalization & modifications  (Read 13857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

startle
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004 07:15:02 AM »

Meema, I just want to say I love the marsupial tote pattern.  Smiley My boyfriend is even going to make one for his mom! It will be his first real project. You converted him Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkn
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004 10:28:34 AM »

Knitcole, I freeform, too! No one around here does and I think I make them a little bitchy... I can't (won't) do a knitalong.  : )

My fav and easiest variation of Hothead (made with acrylic for people with allergies and for a homeless drug addicts project)

size 9 rather than 10 1/2 circ needles
co 80 sts rather than 56-64 sts
k2 p2 for 4 rows
change color
k2 p2 for 2 or 3 rows
change color back
k2 p2 for 23 or 24 rows (long enough to cover ears)
do whatever decrease I feel like for seven or so rows
thread end through and tighten, weave in ends, etc.

So quick and easy but still cute. I usually make one during a movie on TCM.

I've also made the keyhole scarf a little wider and shorter so that it bunches in the neck area of my jacket like an ascot.

I made the wrist warmers looser and longer but not quite arm warmer length. I wear them pulled down over the top of my hands and they reach about 3/4 sleeve length up my arm. The reason for this is because I spend a lot of time in ice rinks and I wanted to plug up the area between my jacket sleeve and my arm.

Clear as mud? I need to get a new camera...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitcole
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004 11:04:51 AM »

Yay! That is so cool. I can't do any knitalongs either, although I attempted one once. It just wasn't for me. Not only was I tweaking the pattern with additions and omissions to my liking, but I was knitting it using completely different yarn, stitch patterns, and I was turning a pullover into a cardigan. The end result was NOTHING like anyone elses. I also have a tendency to breeze through projects if I *really* want to wear one, so a week or so into it, while some people were just casting on, I was already binding off and adding finishing touches.

One of the free form projects that I am working on now is an i-cord knee-length cardigan made out of nothing but i-cords. I'm enjoying this project so much because there is no pattern that I can base it off of (that I know of, anyway), and its just i-cords, which take little or no concentration to make.

My FAVORITE hat pattern is this one (I use it for everything, and since its knit top down on straight needles anyone can make it to fit anyone from a baby to an adult. All you have to do when you are done knitting its length is to cut your yarn so its long enough to stitch up the back, use an invisible seam, and when you get to the top you just draw your yarn around the top stitches that have formed a circle and pull tight, then you are done. It looks like it was knit on circs too, even though it wasn't.):

CO 5 sts
R2: Purl
R3: Knit, increasing in each stitch except the last one (9 sts)
R4: Purl
R5: Repeat row 3 (17 sts)
R6: Purl
R7: Repeat row 3 (33 sts; Stop increasing here for a baby hat)
R8: Purl
R9: *K1, inc 1 in next st* (49 sts; Stop increasing here for a toddler's hat)
R10: Purl
R11: *K2, inc 1 in next st* (65 sts; Stop increasing here for an older child)
R12: Purl
R13: Knit
R14: Purl
R15: *K3, inc 1 in next st* (81 sts; Stop increasing here for an adult sized hat)

R16: It is at this point where you can adjust to either increase or decrease the number of stitches on your needle to fit whatever stitch pattern you choose to use for the hat. For example, lets say that you decide that you want to knit your hat with the tulip lace pattern from Vogue Knitting's Ultimate Knitting Book. The lace pattern states that the st patt requires a multiple of 8 stitches. Since you have 81 stitches on the needle, purl 2 together to decrease by one stitch on your needles so that you are working with 80 stitches instead of 81. For a basic hat, I like to do a simple k1p1 rib throughout the hat. Therefore, I increase in the first stitch in this row, and then k1p1 back as normal, because k1p1 rib requires an even number of stitches.

R17-?: Knit in your pattern until you have reached your desired length.

I can totally bang these babies out while watching one movie, too! haha. I actually posted that pattern up (its in the archives now) on my knitting blog because its just so easy. I recently made one using a variation of old shale lace with a ruffled edge (by increasing three times in each stitch three rows before I was to bind off), and slipped a satin ribbon through eyelets I made near the brim. Its freakin' adorable and it took less than one movie to make.

And I wish I had pictures too. The problem is, I have them and can't get them online. SOOO FRUSTRATING!

You wouldn't happen to be from Jersey, would you? It would be awesome to have another freeformer at my knitting group!

- Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise."
P.Z. Pearce, M.D.
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004 11:43:51 AM »

Thank you SO MUCH! I'm a newbie knitter (again) and I was in dire need of a hat that was easy and on straights! I'm afraid of circs. Heheh! My husband will love you too once he gets a hat out of me Smiley Now I need to practice my increases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitcole
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004 11:49:44 AM »

No problem doll! I'm sorry I can't post pictures of the end product, but as long as you do a nice invisible seam, you can barely tell its knit on straights. And since I just noticed that I forgot to mention needle size and yarn, I usually use regular old 4-ply acrylic and needles sized between US 5's and US 7's.

-- Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise."
P.Z. Pearce, M.D.
sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004 10:44:41 AM »

Whew!  I thought there was something wrong with me!  Ha!  Now I see that I'm just a type!   Kiss  I look at patterns as suggestions rather than directions.  My "Skully", for example, is made from cream colored yarn, with a heart on the sleeve.  Okay, only a teensie variation.  But now I'm working on the cardigan and I'm using mohair for the body and I'm going to make belled sleeves and put a seed stitched heart motif  around one wrist.  I'm going to edge it with a light green rayon.  I think it's going to be lovely.  

Shelley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
punkn
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004 05:52:52 PM »

knitcole, not a jerseygirl unfortunately. SoCalGal.

I decided to begin Big Bad Baby Blanket as a pet bed. Morphed greatly already.

When I do Skully, it will be closer to pattern (I'm pretty sure  Wink ). I really like it the way it is... only mine will be purple and pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tns
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004 10:51:57 AM »

I LOVE the teeny version! It's outrageously cute... It's so much fun to see the bag making its way into the world & being adapted size- and color-wise.

hi, Meema!

thanks, i'm glad you like it!  i absolutely love the pattern and have made 4 totes already (so far)!  i will always have a soft spot for these bags cause they're the first real project from a pattern i've knitted.  it's almost embarrasing how proud i was when the first one came out looking the way i expected it to!

anyhow, thanks for the compliment and the super cool pattern.  i would love to see more from you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangelittlemama
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004 11:27:23 PM »

btw, i wanted to let you know that it was the pictures you posted on this board that inspired me to move beyond the rectangular objects!  i started knitting in late december and was convinced i had to put in at least a year of scarf and washcloth knitting before i was allowed to try anything else, lol.  so, thanks!  you've done some great work, mama!

who, me? wow, that is so cool, thanks! I'm totally struggling with some knitting right now, so that made me feel lots better.
Your girlie is so freaking adorable!!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlleemily

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004 08:59:17 PM »

I was very proud of myself when I figured out how to make that second-last-alien-from-the-end wink- for the life of me I could not explain to you how, though...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004 09:02:35 PM by mlleemily » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate-Stuffed Grilled Banana Boat Recipe
How to Make Burger and Fries Cupcakes: A Sweet Summer BBQ Without the Grill
Peaches and Cream Stuffed French Toast at The Corner in Milford, CT
4 Ways to Frost Your Desserts Like a Pro
How to Make Make Wine-Poached Rhubarb and Poppy Seed Crisp
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...