A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there something out there that will let you save a pattern for many reuses?  (Read 3011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tignor
« on: December 27, 2008 06:44:20 AM »

I have a pattern (teddy bear, McCalls 6907) that I have used so many times that I've had to order it from ebay several times. Is there a pattern saver product out there anyone knows about? I use the pattern until it's taped and torn and full of pinpricks...or any suggested method? Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tidesong
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008 06:19:14 AM »

Hi, I actually use tracing paper, to copy the patterns that I buy, then I use that to make my stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GRABthatUKE
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009 01:29:30 AM »

get a piece of felt big enough for the pattern and put the pattern on there ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 12:30:41 PM »

You can use fusible interfacing on the pattern piece. I've done that with a few that I know I'll use more than once.

Or, you can try something called Pattern-Ease, which seems to be made for this purpose. I haven't used it, so I can't vouch for it, but it sounds like a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 02:24:26 PM »

I always trace out my pattern pieces on printer paper.  I just gently tape up the pattern onto my sliding glass door and then hold up the paper and trace that way, lol. 

When I need to replace a piece, I either repeat the process or trace around the traced piece if it's traceable still and not totally tore up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009 05:35:30 PM »

I use cheap butcher paper that I buy on huge rolls at Sam's once every 5 years.
If I think I might even remotely want to use a pattern over (or for things like childrens' clothing where they are wearing a 4 now but I might want to make the 5 next year) I trace the pattern by using a colored Sharpie right over the pattern lines. The color does not obscure the printed parts and Sharpie is dense enough it bleeds through pattern tissue quite easily giving me a really accurate copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
de_sjiem
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009 08:54:13 PM »

I dont really have any other tips to add... These are all great ideas..

I just wanted to say i LOVE carol's zoo patterns!!!  I made my niece a bear family for christmas and they were super easy to do (I used M5605).. they turned out really cute and she really liked them Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisadee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009 06:55:58 PM »

I've used freezer paper too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k.b.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009 08:35:29 AM »

I used template plastic, I found it at our local quilting shop but Joann's carries it as well.  It is a clear plastic, thin (about the weight of oaktag (or posterboard).  I used permanent marker to trace the pattern on, then cut it out, and put any marks, notches that were needed on in marker, as well as the pattern number and any other information I think might be useful. 

Then you just place the plastic on the fabric and trace around it w/ chalk, fabric marker, etc (I would not recommend trying to cut around it as I have cut some of the template doing that).  I love that it is clear when I am using fabric with prints so that I can see the placement on the fabric.  If the patterns are small enough, I store them in manila envelopes with the original pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arizona Quilter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009 09:20:27 AM »

I buy the light weight Pelon (with Joann's coupon).  It works great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 1/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 2/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 7/7
How to Crochet a 3 Stitch Ruffle Border
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...