A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 hats, a sad story, and a question  (Read 4770 times)
Tags for this thread: hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008 07:08:21 AM »

Very cute.  I love your sewing set up.  I just got a machine for Christmas.  For serious sewing it'll probably go on the kitchen table, but for right now it is setup on the coffee table.

I digress...I agree with what Shadeweaver - A lot of the chemo hats I have seen are fairly generic crochet or knit with a rolled brim.  Sometimes they might be a little lacy.  I think if you are looking for flair, you should just go and find any hat that would love and think she would love then make sure you knit it in the softest possible yarn.  That is the key.  The skin on your head if very sensitive and probably made more so my chemo.  I can try to find some chemo hat patterns, but I really think this idea might be your best bet.  I also found an intarsia pattern that says f#@k cancer that you could work into a pattern if she has that kind of sense of humor.  It is at the anticraft.com...I can't remember which issue.  I hope all of that helps.

I also love the idea of a yarn wig that was mentioned.  If she is really sassy you could make it in super crazy colors.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
Ducky2010
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008 10:17:43 AM »

I would check ravelry, my favorite place for any patter finding because of all the lovely photos! Any skull cap would do I would think, since they are designed for people with short/no hair. If you do have ravelry, or get an account, I would recommend the Koolhaas hat. It has a lovely grid cable pattern that is worth the effort, which incidentally is not as much as it looks like!

A note about the Koolhaas hat though. I think the designer must have a small head because he seems to think that 16" is the size of an "average adult head". I didn't quite realize this when I made mine and it plastered itself to me when I went to try it on (normally I wear a small in everything for heads), so I fixed it by blocking it out since the pattern lends itself to being stretched. However, I would recommend casting on an extra repeat or two. Also, putting a grid on a head tends to accentuate the fact that my crown is bigger than my front, something I didn't even realize til I made it. So, although I love it, I would recommend this hat to people with rounder heads.

I DO love it though! It is georgeous, and I knit mine up in Cashmerino which is incredibly soft and warm, but still affordable. Anyway, good luck on the hat search!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subliminalrabbit
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008 08:28:16 PM »

i don't have any hat pattern advice but i wanted to say that what you're doing is so sweet - and these hates are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little city knitter in a big, big world.

http://www.subliminalrabbit.com
ravelry id: subliminalrabbit
CinnamonCrane

Impossible, you say?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008 11:21:47 PM »

Wow! So many of you responded to this. Thanks a million you guys.  Grin I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking these projects turned out well. (However, to the person who said my room is freakishly neat... no. I just picked a good place to put my tripod.)

I'm working on the Amelia Earhart hat now in a yummy mohair blend from Patton's, but it's REALLY confusing. ( http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt07.htm ) Has anyone made this pattern before? what is it trying to tell me with the stitches on the left needle and the wrapped stitches...? I'm so confused ! Do you work those stitches on the L needle, or...?

And thanks again guys!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008 01:22:00 AM by CinnamonCrane - Reason: when I say "merino," you say mohair. Merino! Mohair! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Brains are an asset, if you hide them." - Mae West
geekella
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008 01:35:28 AM »

cute! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SavageHamster
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008 09:09:27 AM »

this is a lovely idea, i'm sure she'll be thrilled!

You could always use a lovely silky cotton or something so as not to irritate the skin, or a baby yarn? i know it sounds silly but i got some sirdar baby yarn off ebay by mistake and its lush!  its acrylic but is sooo warm and feels just like wool, but without the itch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008 07:37:32 PM »

Pretty hats. You've given me a great idea! I should check out local hospitals and donate hats for chemo patients. I usually cut 10 inches or more off every 3 yrs or so and donate it to Locks of Love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackberet
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008 09:02:11 PM »

I'm working on the Amelia Earhart hat now in a yummy mohair blend from Patton's, but it's REALLY confusing. ( http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt07.htm ) Has anyone made this pattern before? what is it trying to tell me with the stitches on the left needle and the wrapped stitches...? I'm so confused ! Do you work those stitches on the L needle, or...?

I haven't made this, but it looks like the pattern wants you to work short rows. It's a method of shaping that lets you work just the center of a row. Moving the stitch from the left to the right needle and back, wrapping your working yarn around it as you do, lets you do that without making a hole in your work. The bold section that starts with "After working the last P st..." is just an explanation for the part of the pattern that says "W&T (Wrap, slip the wrapped stitch, and Turn: (37 st; 1 on left needle, 36 on right needle)."

Knitty has a pretty good feature on short rows at http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATbonnetric.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CinnamonCrane

Impossible, you say?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008 12:10:51 AM »

^Ahhhh, thank you!! The knitty explanation makes about a thousand times more sense. You're a doll!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Brains are an asset, if you hide them." - Mae West
blackberet
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008 01:36:29 PM »

^Ahhhh, thank you!! The knitty explanation makes about a thousand times more sense. You're a doll!!

No problem. We'll look forward to seeing it when it's done! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gavin Pretor-Pinney Talks Clouds at Althorp Literary Festival
What Makes Althorp Literary Festival So Different?
Dr Kate Williams Talks About Queen Elizabeth II at Althorp Festival
The Age of Miracles Book Trailer
David Maraniss Discusses His Audiobook, Barack Obama
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...