A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,534
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stinky Yarn!  (Read 1457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolipop100
« on: December 26, 2008 10:59:17 AM »

Hi There,
I recently got a bag of unused yarn from my m-i-l.  Unfortunately she smokes and the yarn smells Tongue.  Mostly acrylic, there are some nice colours that I would love to use.  I don't want to cochet something up just to wash it Embarrassed  I am a new crocheter and I think it would take too long!! 
My thoughts? 
Put it in a lingerie bag & wash it?
Put it outside and let it air out? (problem: live in Toronto & there is LOTS of snow & it would definitely get wet)

I would appreciate any thoughts &/or suggestions!

Happy Hooking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommycrochets
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008 11:06:53 AM »

Try sticking it in a plastic bag with some fabric softner and let sit for a week or so, also try doing a search I think there are other subjects on this, just not sure where.
Good luck, Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008 11:14:50 AM »

I've put it in a plastic bag for a day or two with dryer sheets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Donna
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008 11:25:07 AM »

Another thing that might work is to put it in a bag with an open box of baking soda. (Of course, be careful not to tip over the baking soda.) I think that might help absorb the odor rather than masking it with fabric softener scent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do it big, do it right, and do it with style. Fred Astaire
lvb56003
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008 12:33:20 PM »

You could also unball the yarn in a big loop (wrapping the the yarn around your elbow and hand to making a big loop), tie a few strings around the loop to keep it together and hand wash the yarn.  You would then reball the yarn after it is dry.  When I dye my threads this is what I do before I use them for tatting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jena2727
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008 01:16:24 PM »

I agree on the Baking Soda! Put it in a shoe box together and it should absorb the smell. Also try some Borax?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addictions always seem harmless at first. Its only knitting, you might say and then, before you know it, youre a quilting, beading, stamping, stenciling fool!
Shadesofme
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008 02:01:52 AM »

Another thing that might work is to put it in a bag with an open box of baking soda. (Of course, be careful not to tip over the baking soda.) I think that might help absorb the odor rather than masking it with fabric softener scent.

I agree. that works really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolipop100
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008 02:28:33 PM »

Thanks for your comments everyone!  I will definitely give them a try.  Especially the baking soda suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiamatfire
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008 02:59:54 PM »

If you don't mind the smell of coffee, it will actually work faster than baking soda.  Put in some unground beans in an open container with the yarn, and in a few days it should be completely smoke free (albeit very coffee-like!).  It also won't make a mess if the beans get mixed in, as long as you only put whole beans in with no loose dust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
Kristen81
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008 08:29:50 PM »

You can actually machine wash acrylic yarn and that is what I would recommend...

Some of the acrylic I have bought from the thrift store smells musty and I machine wash it all the time.  Especially with cigarette smoke, the dryer sheets will cover up the smell a bit but you will still be able to detect it and the combination can be quite stomach turning after a while.  You can let it sit with baking soda and see if that works but really, just throw it in a mesh bag and chuck it in the washer.  If you want to make sure it is really secure take the loose end (from the outside of the ball) and pull out a few meters and tie it around the ball. 

I chuck it in the dryer after too....but poke a finger inside the ball to make sure it's dry all the way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Judith Viorst Talks About Unexpectedly Eighty
Bernie and Chet Fetch a Thief Book Trailer
Roz Savage Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Meet Supermodel Daisy Fuentes
The Lost Kings Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...