A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Great Pyramid of Gingerbread  (Read 3201 times)
Tags for this thread: gingerbread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewidarity

Nobody knows the tribbles I've sewn...

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2008 04:51:23 PM »

Don't know if this belongs here or on the miscellaneous board... my little sister and I decided that, instead of a gingerbread house, we'd make a gingerbread Egyptian pyramid. This is a somewhat rough-and-ready prototype - next year maybe we'll do it again with greater precision, and score lines to represent the join between stones.

Maybe Mary,Joseph, and the baby Jesus passed a pyramid during the flight into Egypt in Matthew 2: http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=97249562! At any rate, this is in better Yuletide taste than the handmade "slaughter of the innocents" theme Christmas decoration my friend put up one year (see Matthew 2 for that one also).

Animal crackers, set into melted hard candy bases, repose under the shade of the melted-life-saver palms (which I described how to make here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284060.msg3218293#msg3218293):

Random things we learned:

-Making a cardboard skeleton covers over a multitude of construction sins. We made a cardboard pyramid (with one diagonal internal support to prevent flexing - triangles are a very strong shape) and then covered it with waxed paper, to which we attached the gingerbread facing with icing that happened to be green. This allowed us to use gingerbread that is actually soft enough that we might want to eat it, and normal, yummy decorator icing rather than rocklike royal icing.

-If you want the same proportions as the Great Pyramid of Giza, you can make cut out 4 triangles which are 11 inches at the base and 9 inches high, and then lean them together. (I did the math). However, the finished pyramid won't fit onto a standard cookie sheet for display, so you might want to scale it down.

-Trim your gingerbread to its precise shape after it comes out of the oven, while it's still warm. But be more precise than we were here - we got it too small and had to fill in the cracks with fragments. Or maybe that's just the millennia of weathering?

-Speaking of weathering, as I put on my other post, melted-life-saver sculpture is awesome, but under highish humidity and upper-70s temperatures it progresses from sticky to downright melting in a couple days. Maybe it would last longer someplace where there was a discernable winter going on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dammit, Jim, I'm a crafter, not a photographer!
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008 06:46:45 PM »

I LOVE this. I LOVE the idea and the execution. This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
Oyhana
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008 07:19:33 PM »

You guys did a really amazing job!  Very creative.  I love the use of life savers for sugar sculpture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
grenouille78
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009 10:53:01 AM »

What a fun idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create HD Videos with Windows Movie Maker
How to Make Your Own Watermark for Your Videos
How to Achieve High Quality Using Hypercam 2
How to Overlap Sounds on Camtasia Studios.
How To Install Brushes for Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...