A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would using Old Navy items be bad business?  (Read 864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2008 02:57:33 PM »

I have some ideas for shirt designs that I want to sell. I originally was planning on making all the shirts from scratch but that proved time consuming and because of that I would have to raise the price of the shirts I sold. I've also had problems with sizing issues because I'm my own mannequin. I can make stuff that fits me awesomely but have a hard time changing the pattern to fit others, let alone people I've never met. I've always liked the way Old Navy shirts feel and look. And if I wait for sales I can stock up and get solid colored t-shirts and long sleeved shirts for pretty cheap. Would this be alright for me to do? I notice that a lot of people use American Apparel clothing for items they plan to sell, but this looks like a very expensive option. Also, would it be illegal for me to use a seam ripper to remove the old navy tag and replace it with my own after the shirt is altered?

Help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008 05:25:56 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with it - wrong is probably the...wrong word, but my point would be that if you're going to do a shirt here and there, fine, wait for those sales, but if you're planning to make a lot of shirts and have outlets to sell them you'll save money if you buy them wholesale, even with shipping costs.

If it's just a plain shirt, sure, take out the tag - Old Navy just slaps their tags on blanks, so it's not like they made the shirts themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008 08:25:38 PM »

I agree with CraftyChef...on everything, lol. If you're planning to do a lot, I'd def. do wholesale.

I did a show last year and my husband and I got a few screenprinted tees from a vendor. One of the tees had a tag cut out of it and their tag printed in place. For some reason, I thought it was funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh my goodbye
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008 11:56:33 AM »

like CraftChef and BlueJeanBaby said, if you plan on doing a lot, buy wholesale. if you're still worried about the old navy shirt, leave the tag in and add your own next to it that says "redesigned by ----" in my own opinion i feel like that would be a better thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008 02:10:38 AM »

So today I was at the mall and when I saw that Old Navy prints the tag directly onto the inside of the shirt. Argh! However I do like the idea of adding a tag that says "Redesigned by Pink Lightning"
I think that a lot of indie designers and screen printers associate American Apparel with sweatshop free clothing. And I worry that people would see my clothes with the Old Navy tag and then associate it with sweatshop labor. But I did a little research on Old Navy and they no longer use sweatshop labor and developed a Vendor Code of Conduct to enforce the measure. But this measure seems to have been introduced fairly recently (March 2008) and I don't know if it's common knowledge.

Also, I'm really small time so at the moment I can't afford to buy 24 shirts at a time (which is the wholesale minimum for No Sweat Apparel). I wanted to do a small run to see if the item would sell before I begin to buy in bulk. Right now I can get Old Navy T Shirts for about $5 each, no minimum order necessary, but I would really like to be able to say that my products are sweatshop free without people having to second guess me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Banana Cake with Coconut Gelato and Peanut Brittle
How to Make Coconut Brownie Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bulldog Pupcake
Coca-Cola Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...