A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warm Fabric (for Gloves)?  (Read 362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xbluemoonx
« on: December 21, 2008 02:49:26 PM »

I was planning on handsewing some gloves and/or glittens for myself, as the ones I currently have, which are fleece, are quite useless in protecting me from the below freezing Chicago winters.  I'm not sure if it's just because my current gloves are made of lesser quality fleece, but they really don't do much at all in keeping my hands warm.  Any suggestions for materials that would be warmer and more suitable that I could find at my local JoAnn's?  I was thinking flannel, but then that seems pretty thin.  Would fleece with a flannel lining work?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008 10:34:24 PM »

I can't think of anything warmer that JoAnn's carries that might help. Unless you go crazy and get batting and stick it between the fleece and flannel, but that would get bulky and annoying to work with. Maybe a second layer of fleece instead of flannel? But that could get bulky, too..

Almost off-topic, it was bloody freezing in Chicago today! And I'm right by the door at work(the Homewood store, actually), so it was awful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
elijor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008 01:02:03 PM »

I think the biggest problem with using just fleece is that the wind goes right through fleece. In order for the fleece to keep you warm you need somehing windproof like rip-stop nylon or something like that. Joann's sometimes has that sort of thing but not always.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xbluemoonx
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008 05:05:17 PM »

I can't think of anything warmer that JoAnn's carries that might help. Unless you go crazy and get batting and stick it between the fleece and flannel, but that would get bulky and annoying to work with. Maybe a second layer of fleece instead of flannel? But that could get bulky, too..

Almost off-topic, it was bloody freezing in Chicago today! And I'm right by the door at work(the Homewood store, actually), so it was awful.
Batting seems a bit out of my league right now even if it wasn't bulky (no sewing machine), but as long as I'm warm, a little extra bulk doesn't sound bad. Smiley

And I've been driving all over the place in the past few days buying groceries, last minute presents, and picking up relatives from O'Hare, who of course never book their flights so they'd arrive at similar times and I wouldn't have to pick them up separately.   I have a feeling my car heater is going to break down soon.

I think the biggest problem with using just fleece is that the wind goes right through fleece. In order for the fleece to keep you warm you need somehing windproof like rip-stop nylon or something like that. Joann's sometimes has that sort of thing but not always.
Never thought about wind, it makes sense though!  Even if Joann doesn't carry ripstop, I probably can find some from an old jacket or something.  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008 07:45:02 PM »

Pretty sure JoAnn does have ripstop. Check the home dec section, and if not there, then try the clearance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 22/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 2/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 21/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 20/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 18/28
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...