A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you do???  (Read 560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misfitknits
« on: December 24, 2008 04:39:13 PM »

hello readers! i need help with a situation: in the beginning of november, i bought two hanks of a beautiful chocolatey alpaca/bamboo yarn from a carding mill. it looks like velvet and FELT just as good when i bought it- i couldn't resist it. i was trying to find just the right pattern for it, and once into the knitting for quite a ways, i put the fabric around my neck and find- to my horror- that it itches like straw!!!! i'm really peeved bc the lady who sold it to my *who was really nice, btw* was going on and on about how nice the yarn was!!! i thought alpacas didn't even HAVE guard hairs!!! grrr!! and they're a carding mill, so they would KNOW about that and choose to spin it that way.

so the dillema is: would you contact them about it? for me, being a spinner, i NEVER buy yarn, especially not such a nice *and pricey* yarn and that's why this is so dissapointing to me. i'm not expecting a refund or exchange, but still.

thanks in advance for reading!!
(cross-posted in spinning)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008 05:22:02 PM »

communication is key I think..theyd want feedback about your experiences..maybe its the type of stitching..they would probably give you some great advice..good luck..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008 02:47:30 AM »

Also, could you line it with fleece fabric once its knitted and still wear it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008 07:47:52 AM »

Try washing it, gently, wish a wool wash (don't felt it).  I don't know why, but that typically softens my finished pieces, at least a bit.  Otherwise, I'm sorry that happened, and I would call or write to the place with some constructive feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008 08:09:58 AM »

Well the seller wasn't altogether wrong, alpaca IS nice yarn. However it can be a little itchy and bothers some people more than others. It may help to wash it with hair conditioner in the rinse, that could soften it a bit. If you intend to use it as a scarf, it may not be touching your skin too much or you may have to give it as a present to someone that isn't bothered by it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
adriennec
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008 01:22:20 PM »

Alpaca's funny.  It feels gorgeously soft to my hands (and even my face!), but my neck and my wrists won't tolerate it, even in blends.  (even like 10-15%!)

I think it would be fine to contact them, but it's also possible that to the salesperson, it is lovely yarn for a scarf.  But she should know that many people have issues with alpaca.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misfitknits
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008 01:13:26 PM »

hello, thank you to all the readers and those who also replied! i would like to clarify my original post *frustrated rant* a little to say that the reason i'm upset is that the yarn contains the itchy, more coarse hairs *that i thought only llamas had, and that was why everyone says alpaca is "better" than llama*. obviously i was wrong.

my focus is that those guard hairs shouldn't even BE IN THE YARN. and this yarn was produced by a company that takes raw fleeces from farmers and processes them into yarns. they also cover the DEHAIRING process for breeds of fiber animals which have two coats, the coarse hairs and the soft, downy hairs. so my opinion is that they would have known those hairs needed to be removed.

after reading the replies i think i will contact the mill in a sort of "feedback" way, letting them know what my experience with the yarn was. i bought other fiber from them and was satissfied with everything except this yarn.

and now i obviously know *and will NEVER FORGET* that alpaca can have guard hair, and to be cautious when purchasing yarn. i also wasn't aware HOW MANY people have difficulties with it!

thanks for the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Your Own Passport Photos
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith WonderCon Interview
A Cheap, Easy Modeling Light For Your Speedlight
Using the SB600 Sync Port
How to Find Low Cost Flashes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...